• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gregbeal
    replied
    Re: Nicholl 2015...

A collective You're welcome.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words.

As to how early the notification was, it's certainly the earliest over the last decade. Possibly ever.

Back in the 1990s when there were only 3000-4000 entries, the target tended to be the fourth week of July and perhaps July 22 was the previous earliest notification. Just realized that those letters were sent over multiple days so as not to overwhelm our mail room, so it's possible that the first notifications in those years were sent earlier so as to finish around July 23.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by P-jay View Post
    My coming of age drama made it in. Wow, they came back early this year. It wasn't even nail-biting time yet. Glad to miss that part.
    We're happy to have saved some nails around the world (but we may get some backlash from nail salons).

Leave a comment:

• LateNightWriter
    replied

Yes, thanks to Greg and the Nicholl team for their tireless work! I can't imagine what processing 7,442 scripts for at least 2 reads each must entail. And so grateful to Greg for checking in here to answer questions and clarify issues.

The early notification this year was a gift -- I didn't even have a chance to start the late July, knuckle-cracking, obsessing phase.

Late Night Writer

Leave a comment:

• Margie Kaptanoglu
    replied

Also, thanks to Greg and the Nicholl team for such an early announcement! Saved me so much time obsessing over it.

Greg, was this your earliest announcement date ever?

Leave a comment:

• Margie Kaptanoglu
    replied

So, so happy that a screenplay of mine made it through to the quarterfinals.

Bunker, I feel your frustration. We've all experienced that sort of subjectivity in one way or another, but it never feels good. You have the right attitude, though. Never give up!

Leave a comment:

• opie
    replied

Originally posted by P-jay View Post
    My coming of age drama made it in. Wow, they came back early this year. It wasn't even nail-biting time yet. Glad to miss that part.
    Congrats and Amen. Thanks to Greg and his staff for their quick work (and for posting here).

Leave a comment:

• mrdennissir
    replied

Thank you for your prompt reply, Greg.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by mrdennissir View Post
    Greg, I entered two scripts and got one email.

Can you confirm that the lack of the other email means the other entry made it? I thought this was the case but there were some changes this year and these other placers are talking with a lot of certitude.
    Sorry about the missing email. According to our IT colleague overseeing the email blast, he didn't get all the second and third entries out in the first wave of emails. He plans to get all the missing notifications out by the end of the evening.

Let us know via email to nicholl at oscars.org if you still haven't received it by tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
    I'm in! With an intensely personal, visionary script. Proof positive that Nicholl judges are open-minded.

Greg, if I didn't order comments before, is it possible to order them now?

Late Night Writer
    Congratulations!

Yes, entrants can purchase this year's comments through the end of the year. Simply log into your account and click on tab 7.

Leave a comment:

• jcpdoc
    replied

Close, but no cigar for me. Both of my entries fell "two to six" points short of the QF mark. Congrats to all who advanced!

Leave a comment:

• LighterD
    replied

I got the one positive score thing for my thriller. I'm going to spring for the comments to see the difference between the two readers.

Congrats to those who made it!

Leave a comment:

• Hernan Giaggio
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    Congratulations!

But only the quarterfinals thus far. Semifinals is the next stage, and we're not there yet.
    D'oh! Wishful thinking, I suppose.

Edited, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Bunker
    replied

If anyone got dinged and needs some encouragement on the subjective nature of the process...

Last year, I had a script make it to the Top 50. It was tantalizingly close to being a Finalist. I figured there was nothing to lose (other than $40) to throw it in again this year. Maybe it would get the lucky breaks that could push it into the Finals, or perhaps even a Fellowship.

And today the script got... nothing.

No quarterfinals.

No "Two positive reads."

No "Gold star for effort!"

Nothing.

To have made it into the Top 50, that script had to receive many, many positive reads. To get nowhere, that script needed to receive two "meh" reads. That's indicative of the industry - It takes many, many people to like a script before it moves anywhere. It takes one or two people to be lukewarm to kill it.

Oh well. Onward!

Leave a comment:

• mrdennissir
    replied

Greg, I entered two scripts and got one email.

Can you confirm that the lack of the other email means the other entry made it? I thought this was the case but there were some changes this year and these other placers are talking with a lot of certitude.

Also LateNightWriter, I do know yes, you can still buy comments. For a long time. They want to give lots and lots of time for you to potentially give them money.

Leave a comment:

• LateNightWriter
    replied

I'm in! With an intensely personal, visionary script. Proof positive that Nicholl judges are open-minded.

Greg, if I didn't order comments before, is it possible to order them now?

Late Night Writer

Leave a comment:

Working...
X