• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gregbeal
    replied
    Re: Nicholl 2015...

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post

An additional $40 for comments tho?

Detailed feedback or the stuff we see on facebook?
    I believe a number of Done Dealers posted their reader comments last year (perhaps in 2013 as well). The 2015 reader comments will resemble those.

Wasn't there a Nicholl reader comments vs. Black List notes challenge somewhere? - perhaps posted on Go Into The Story or The Black Board. That would offer another opportunity to see what some 2014 Nicholl reader comments looked like.

As stated every day, the posts on the Nicholl Facebook page were excerpts drawn from complete reader comments.

At some point in the future, we'll probably post some sample reader comments, most likely drawn from 2014 submissions.

Leave a comment:

• figment
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post

Is there a way we could have made it clearer?
    No. I was concentrating on trying to get my loglines correct, and zoomed through the rest. It's called not paying attention. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Another new feature is that the Academy Nicholl Committee rewrote the reader guidelines and asked that they be released to potential entrants. They've been posted on the Nicholl Facebook page. Here they are for your enjoyment:

Academy Nicholl Fellowships - Reader Category Guidelines

STORY
    Does the story have an original premise?
    Does that story idea start the movie forward?
    Does the story itself have a strong beginning, middle & end? How about two out of three? If the story is non-linear, does it make sense?
    Does this script make you feel that the writer is taking you on a journey?
    Does the story connect with you emotionally, whether it's a comedy or drama or another genre?

VOICE
    Does the script have a distinctive and original voice? (Or do you feel that you've read or seen this movie before?)
    Are the premise, story and characters new or fresh for you?
    Does reading the script make you think, "This person genuinely has the potential to develop into a real writer-?

CHARACTERS
    Does this script have vivid characters who each speak in their own voice?
    Do you want to know what happens to them?
    Does the central character change over the course of the story? If it's an ensemble film, does more than one character change?
    Do the dialogue and tone seem consistent from scene to scene?
    Does the way the people speak fit the tone and setting of the story?

CRAFT
    Does this writer know how to use description and dialogue to create suspense, tension, drama, comedy and conflict? Does the conflict propel the story forward?
    Do the main characters take actions that move the story along?
    Are these actions in keeping with who these people are? Or do they happen "conveniently-?

MEANING and MAGIC
    Does this script genuinely make you want to keep reading? Are the themes of the story thought-provoking, across genres? Is the story "about something- that might spark discussion among friends?
    When you finish reading the script, even if it has flaws, do you still feel that there's something special about it? Is there an indescribable "something- that elevates this script above the ordinary?

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

As noted in the earlier posts, one major change for 2015 is that the Nicholl competition is offering reader comments to all entrants. Selecting reader comments costs $40 per entry, is optional and will not affect an entry during the competition in any way.

A second change is that there is now a minimum and maximum page limit - all script submissions need to be from 70 to 160 pages in length. Shorter or longer script entries will be disqualified. "Cheating" margins, typeface size, line spacing, etc. to meet the page limits will also result in disqualification.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by figment View Post
    ... appears to be opened for entries.

http://www.oscars.org/nicholl/about

I was poking around the website to see when we could enter, and was able to load my entries, so...

Early Entry: by March 2... $40.
    Regular Entry: by April 10... $55.
    Late Entry: by May 1... $75.

Also, new this year, you can sign up to receive comments -- you get two reader's comments and they are an additional 40 dollars per script. (something I didn't realize until I'd already processed my second payment, but oh well, so I only entered two instead of three scripts to balance out the additional cost.)

Good luck, Done Dealers!! You can do it!!!
    Thanks for posting about the official Nicholl opening earlier today.

Not clear what you mean when you say you didn't realize it was an additional charge.

This is what appears adjacent to the checkbox that an entrant must select in order to pay for reader comments (prior to selection):

Entrant Fee: $40
    Reader Comments Fee: $0
    Click here to pay for viewing 2 or more reader comments on your screenplay.
    The Reader Comments Fee displays when you select checkbox.

Total Charge: $40

After ticking the checkbox, the Reader Comments fee changes to $40 and the Total Charge changes to $80.

Is there a way we could have made it clearer?

Leave a comment:

• Furious Anjel
    replied

An additional $40 for comments tho?

Detailed feedback or the stuff we see on facebook?

Leave a comment:

• figment
    started a topic Nicholl 2015...

Nicholl 2015...

... appears to be opened for entries.

http://www.oscars.org/nicholl/about

I was poking around the website to see when we could enter, and was able to load my entries, so...

Early Entry: by March 2... $40.
    Regular Entry: by April 10... $55.
    Late Entry: by May 1... $75.

Also, new this year, you can sign up to receive comments -- you get two reader's comments and they are an additional 40 dollars per script. (something I didn't realize until I'd already processed my second payment, but oh well, so I only entered two instead of three scripts to balance out the additional cost.)

Good luck, Done Dealers!! You can do it!!!
Working...
X