No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HBO Launches Fellowship

Originally posted by Danibobani View Post
    Just found out HBO will be sending out notifications tomorrow. Good luck to all who entered!
    Gotta admit, this failure to advance really hurt.

Comment

Just got my rejection via Without a Box. So glad I started drinking 2 hours ago.

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterKitty View Post
        Just got my rejection via Without a Box. So glad I started drinking 2 hours ago.
        Never received a rejection letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Danibobani View Post
          Never received a rejection letter.
          Me either. All I get is the Without a Box spam to get me to enter into other contests using their, "awesome" system. No, thanks.

Comment

I didn't apply, but sounds like HBO really dropped the ball with this. And there's no excuse for it. There are plenty of models for them to follow (NBC, WB, ABC) and should have had some workable system ready to go. A couple of hiccups are expected; this looks like a disaster.

Comment

I wonder how many people they selected to move forward. (I was not one of them)

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                I didn't apply, but sounds like HBO really dropped the ball with this. And there's no excuse for it. There are plenty of models for them to follow (NBC, WB, ABC) and should have had some workable system ready to go. A couple of hiccups are expected; this looks like a disaster.
                Be that as it may, I'd wager they'll end up with the same level of writing quality as if it had been run smoothly from the start

Comment

Originally posted by nadria View Post
                  I wonder how many people they selected to move forward. (I was not one of them)
                  I believe they've selected 20 finalists, and will pull 8 fellows from that group.

Comment

http://deadline.com/2015/07/hboacces...rs-1201472669/

Comment

• Re: HBO Launches Fellowship

Don't wager too much, Joe Banks. HBO violated federal and state employment law in asking entrant's date of birth on the Withoutbox entry. They could have asked entrants if they were of legal age; not how old or what their date of birth. It's a wonder they didn't require a recent photo. The medium age of all U.S. workers (2010) is about 41.7 (and rising). If medium age of the fellowship winners is below 42 (add up ages of the winners and divide by their number), a disparate impact against older writers is the result, and HBO will be held accountable.

Comment

Originally posted by Scriptonian View Post
                        . If medium age of the fellowship winners is below 42 (add up ages of the winners and divide by their number), a disparate impact against older writers is the result, and HBO will be held accountable.
                        "Will"? I wouldn't say it's likely.

Only if someone bothers to bring a class action suit (and good luck with finding a lawyer for that) or the EEOC decides to investigate.

This is a contest for a fellowship, and I'm not sure whether employment laws even apply... There are certainly contests limited to older or younger writers.
                        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

A fellowship is a training program, Lauri, and subject to federal EEO and CA Fair Employment laws; asking date of birth is prohibited by regulation. As it should be.

Comment

A fellowship is a training program, Lauri, and subject to federal EEO and CA Fair Employment laws; asking date of birth is prohibited by regulation. As it should be.
                            I'm not so sure... Do you have a source for that? The Nicholl is a fellowship and they ask about age for demographic purposes. Does it make a difference that the fellowship is run by a for-profit rather than a non-profit?
                            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

I'm not familiar with the Nicholl submission process. Their fellowship may not be a training program or an apprenticeship such as the HBO fellowship is so as to be covered by EEO laws (Nicholl Fellows don't have to move to L.A. and show up for work), although the Nicholl would have to comply with discrimination in public accommodations laws (access).

Here are acceptable & unacceptable pre-employment questions regulated by the CA Fair Employment agency, to which HBO is subject: http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/res/docs/publ...s/dfeh-161.pdf

Here is the federal EEOC regulation to which HBO is subject: http://www.federalregister.gov/artic...-in-employment

I see a clear violation and no affirmative defense under either.

Comment

Don't wager too much, Joe Banks. HBO violated federal and state employment law in asking entrant's date of birth on the Withoutbox entry. They could have asked entrants if they were of legal age; not how old or what their date of birth. It's a wonder they didn't require a recent photo. The medium age of all U.S. workers (2010) is about 41.7 (and rising). If medium age of the fellowship winners is below 42 (add up ages of the winners and divide by their number), a disparate impact against older writers is the result, and HBO will be held accountable.
                                you go ahead and keep complaining about the unfairness of competitions and the rest of us will just be writing, trying to make our scripts undeniable. one of these strategies has a better chance of succeeding than the other

Comment

Working...
                                X