No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO Launches Fellowship

http://deadline.com/2015/02/hbo-writ...rs-1201381330/

Oh that lovely comment section....let the drama begin...seems to be a bit of controversy already cause of the exclusion of Caucasian males and other writers.

Anyone submitting?

Re: HBO Launches Fellowship

Pish. It's no different from the CBS diversity program, FOX Writers Intensive, and NBC Universal's Diversity Initiative.

With an finalist pool of 8, it's a small drop, but it's a drop.

Comment

I just remembered my grandma was a full-blood Tatar. Onwards to apply!
      Last edited by goldmund; 03-08-2015, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoviePen View Post
        Pish. It's no different from the CBS diversity program, FOX Writers Intensive, and NBC Universal's Diversity Initiative.

With an finalist pool of 8, it's a small drop, but it's a drop.
        Well not really CBS, NBC you don't have to be invited or recommended to apply. I think with Fox the only way to enter is by having someone vouche for you.

Comment

Sure. I'm a mixed (half Black) woman, so I'll give it a shot. What I'm wondering is, whether they'd like to see that diversity reflected in the writing sample. I have a pilot that takes place during the Harlem Renaissance and most of the characters are Black, but I don't think it's as strongly written as my screenplays, where the races are mostly unspecified. I guess I have a few weeks before the final deadline to tighten up that pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by cp6267a View Post
            Sure. I'm a mixed (half Black) woman, so I'll give it a shot. What I'm wondering is, whether they'd like to see that diversity reflected in the writing sample. I have a pilot that takes place during the Harlem Renaissance and most of the characters are Black, but I don't think it's as strongly written as my screenplays, where the races are mostly unspecified. I guess I have a few weeks before the final deadline to tighten up that pilot.

I was looking for deadline information, don't really see any.

Comment

Originally posted by 4iiii View Post
              I was looking for deadline information, don't really see any.
              I read April 1st a couple of places

ETA:
              http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...wship-20150225
              This blog seems to indicate that they will close after 1000 applications, so probably best to get it in as close to the March 4 opening date as possible

Comment

According to this website: (Not sure how reliable this timeline is. Guess we'll really find out when the contest officially opens)

Timeline and Important Dates:

March 4, 2015 - Application process opens at https://www.withoutabox.com/. The application portal will close when 1,000 submissions have been reached. No mail or email submissions will be accepted.

May, 2015 - 20 candidates advance to first round interviews with HBOAccessTM program directors via in person or Skype.

June 2015 - Final interviews with HBO development and production executives. All applicants selected to the final round must provide a second writing sample. They must also be prepared to pitch up to three ideas, one of which will be developed during the eight month long mentorship.

July 1, 2015 - Eight participants are notified.

August 17-21, 2015 - Master classes will take place over a one week period at the HBO offices in Santa Monica, CA from10am to 5pm. Any finalist not local to the Los Angeles area must be prepared to cover his/her own travel and lodging for the duration of the program, however a small stipend will be available to defray those costs.
                I'm giving it a try! Good luck to all who enter.

Comment

Originally posted by 4iiii View Post
                  Oh that lovely comment section....let the drama begin...seems to be a bit of controversy already cause of the exclusion of Caucasian males and other writers.
                  Good. As a male Caucasian writer, I'm happy to be excluded. Not that I wouldn't love to be part of an HBO Fellowship. I just enjoy it when previously unheard voices get a chance to shine.

Comment

Wonder if anyone complaining about this fellowship realizes there are diversity hires in TV.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
                      Wonder if anyone complaining about this fellowship realizes there are diversity hires in TV.
                      Aren't there also diversity mandates through the guilds? I remember hearing a (cynical) comment that the companies use these diversity programs to fulfill that obligation.

Comment

Originally posted by MoviePen View Post
                        Aren't there also diversity mandates through the guilds? I remember hearing a (cynical) comment that the companies use these diversity programs to fulfill that obligation.
                        I can see how that might be taken cynically, but I like to see it more positive. Places like HBO want to have more diversity in their writers, but a lot of the time, diverse writers aren't given the opportunities to gain the experience they need, so HBO is just going to give them that experience themselves.

Comment

Can anyone explain the following? This is from the HBO terms (first, the definition of "Materials,- then the paragraph that I don't understand):

I am submitting to you today an original short story, play or script and a personal essay (the "Materials")

I agree that nothing in this Release shall be deemed to create a confidential relationship between you and me or shall place you in a position different from that of a member of the general public with respect to the use of the Materials. If you commence use of the Materials in violation of this Release, and provided that I own the Materials and the Materials are original, novel, protectible and valuable, you agree to pay me as total compensation therefor such sum of money as we may subsequently agree upon in writing. If we have not attempted or are unable to agree upon the sum, and you commence the use of the Materials in violation of this Release, you will pay me, and I will accept as consideration for all rights of every kind in the Materials, the sum of Five Hundred Dollars ($500). If I do not agree that $500 is acceptable compensation for your use of the Materials, I will not submit the Materials hereunder. I acknowledge that I shall suffer no damages in excess of the foregoing from your use of the Materials or by reason of any other claim that I may assert with respect thereto, and in no event shall I be entitled to, nor shall I demand, any other compensation or any legal or equitable remedy, including but not limited to, injunctive relief.

It appears to say that if HBO wants to use your script in violation of this Release, it may do so, and if you and HBO can't come to an agreement, they only have to pay you $500 for it. So like, if they offer you $400 or $600 or whatever and you say no, they can then walk away with it for $500?? Also, what qualifies as "use of the material-? Making a TV series out of it, for which you get paid $500?

I can't believe HBO would use this opportunity to try to get material for nothing from writers, so I think I must be missing the intent of this paragraph. Please weigh in if you can explain what it means.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Standard CYA release. HBO is not using the fellowship to screw writers.
                            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                              Standard CYA release. HBO is not using the fellowship to screw writers.
                              Is this really "standard"? If so, can you point me to a similar release?

Because I haven't seen the "$500" amount (or for that matter any specific value) in releases for any other contests I've entered.

Nor have I seen a phrase like "you commence the use of the Materials in violation of this Release."

Comment

Working...
                              X