No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HBO Launches Fellowship

Originally posted by AP Oz View Post
    Is this really "standard"? If so, can you point me to a similar release?

Because I haven't seen the "$500" amount (or for that matter any specific value) in releases for any other contests I've entered.

Nor have I seen a phrase like "you commence the use of the Materials in violation of this Release."
    ...in violation of this Release,

They want to prevent lawsuits and arbitration. One way I read the graph is as leak insurance. If some HBO employee leaks your bio or script, they have a limit to what you can claim. Or if you completely fail the program or produce something terrible, they're not on the hook beyond $500 and their time spent even if HBO ends up producing something "in the vein of."

I wouldn't worry they're trying to screw writers.

Comment

Originally posted by canela View Post
      ...in violation of this Release,

They want to prevent lawsuits and arbitration. One way I read the graph is as leak insurance. If some HBO employee leaks your bio or script, they have a limit to what you can claim. Or if you completely fail the program or produce something terrible, they're not on the hook beyond $500 and their time spent even if HBO ends up producing something "in the vein of."

I wouldn't worry they're trying to screw writers.
      I get what they're trying to do, I'm just wondering if how they're doing it is, as was asserted upthread, "standard."

Keep in mind also that if you make it to the final round interviews then you're expected to send them a second pilot, as well as up to three pitch ideas. Presumably all of that will covered by the "violation of this release" clause.

I don't know-- I can see why unrepped writers would still want to submit to this, but others should probably check with their reps before submitting anything.
      Last edited by AP Oz; 02-28-2015, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I'm sure it is a CYA clause, but I've never seen one quite like that before, and was wondering if anyone had.

At any rate, I don't think HBO wants to screw writers, so the clause won't keep me from giving it a try.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Excited for the opportunity! I heard the fellowship closes at 1,000 applicants which makes me a little nervous as I'm polishing my pilot and won't have it ready until next week or so. Fingers crossed to making the cutoff! Good luck DDP'ers!

Would like to add - I think it's cool HBO is actively seeking diverse hires. If you are a person not in the majority or are just sensitive to the fact, some played out concepts and story-lines really start to grate on you after a while. Like Mexicans being involved in cartels and making tamales all year round. We only make those in December for Christ's sake!

Comment

It's disappointing that HBO doesn't cover the winners' lodging and travel expenses for that intensive training week in August. I have a feeling that will prevent some candidates right there from applying. (For those of us diverse folks not living in LA, what would that week in a hotel or AirBnb cost? Not to mention transportation...)

The Nicholl covers expenses for its finalists for their week in LA. Quite surprised that HBO would not do that as well.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Originally posted by BKDodger View Post
              Excited for the opportunity! I heard the fellowship closes at 1,000 applicants which makes me a little nervous as I'm polishing my pilot and won't have it ready until next week or so. Fingers crossed to making the cutoff! Good luck DDP'ers!

Would like to add - I think it's cool HBO is actively seeking diverse hires. If you are a person not in the majority or are just sensitive to the fact, some played out concepts and story-lines really start to grate on you after a while. Like Mexicans being involved in cartels and making tamales all year round. We only make those in December for Christ's sake!
              Really!? Why in the name of all that is tasty would you *not* make tamales year round?

(Serious question, no snark intended. I'm honestly curious as to why something would limit such delicious goodness.)

And now, back on topic, off to work on my HBO essay/statement/thingie. Oh, fellowship season. 'Tis time we dance our annual exhausting gavotte again.

/or is it more of a Lindy? I can never tell.
              "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Comment

Is anyone else having a hard time getting into the site to apply?
                "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

yes. i've been trying to get in since 9 am pst. no luck

Comment

Not surprising, but annoying. There are probably thousands of people applying at the same time. They should just keep the window open for 24 hours at least.

Comment

WITHOUTABOX!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I wonder - the without a box HBO page says March 5 is the earlybird deadline not March 4. I wonder if there is a hiccup on their end that's keeping people from applying today.

Comment

Not working for me either.

Comment

Haven't been able to get in, and I noticed a posting from Without a Box that they are performing web site maintenance from Midnight until I think 3 PST Thursday. But I was thinking it meant Midnight tonight, because it makes no sense that they would shutdown right when the Fellowship submission opens, right???

Comment

"Important Message from Withoutabox

Withoutabox will be unavailable from 12:00 MIDNIGHT PST to 03:30 AM PST Thursday, March 5th, 2015 in order to perform scheduled site maintenance.

Please plan your submission activity accordingly. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience while we work to improve your Withoutabox experience."

What the hell? I actually had the website open at 9 and then it went white.

Comment

But it's not between midnight and 3 am PST now. I keep getting kinda sorta in but can't get all the way to the HBO page. So I assume we're all crashing the server. Seems odd, given that WaB deals with deadlines all the time...

Comment

Working...
                                X