• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All screenplay contests are SCAM?

Originally posted by DickDaring View Post
    I'll give you three.

Herman Mankiewicz (Bluecat Winner)
    Rainer Werner Fassbinder (Scriptapalooza Quarterfinalist)
    Dalton Trumbo (Final Draft Big Break Top 15)
    Yeah, but when was the last time any of these won an Oscar or even had new material produced? Fly by nights that'll never stick at this clearly.

Comment

Yes, if you don't win an Oscar as a result of winning a contest, it's definitely a scam.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post

Part of me sympathizes with your premise.
        Thanks Bunker..

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
          I'm a working screenwriter, too! (By that I mean, I write scripts, but I also have a job.)
          If I work at McDonald's and want to be a lawyer, I wouldn't say I'm a "working lawyer."

Comment

Originally posted by BillWilliams12345 View Post
            "-----------BTW I'm a working screenwriter ( not full time, and not paid yet)"

How is everyone ignoring this insanity?
            I'm ignoring this insanity, Bill

Comment

I don't know why I'm bothering, but here we go. Straight from Daugherty's mouth...

"Following the Grand Prize win, I was contacted by a few different managers, all of whom seemed to be big fans of Shrapnel, but Jake (then from Energy Entertainment, now with Film Engine) seemed like the best fit for Shrapnel and for me. I quickly moved out to LA, and Jake and Brooklyn started putting me in rooms almost immediately. A few months later, they sat me down with a few different agents, and I ultimately signed with Tobin Babst and Rio Hernandez at UTA. I worked on a few different takes and pitches but ultimately landed my first job at Warner Bros. doing a rewrite on Grayskull."

Comment

If I work at McDonald's and want to be a lawyer, I wouldn't say I'm a "working lawyer."
                Of course not. Because you only want to be a lawyer.

I've written a script, so I'm a screenwriter. Heck, I've met people who have even finished a script who call themselves screenwriters.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                  Of course not. Because you only want to be a lawyer.

I've written a script, so I'm a screenwriter. Heck, I've met people who have even finished a script who call themselves screenwriters.
                  Yes. I'm a working writer because this year I was hired to do some work but I'm not paid yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbopolis View Post
                    Yes. I'm a working writer because this year I was hired to do some work but I'm not paid yet.
                    Cool. Then you're a pro. You beat the conspiracy. Why'd you start this thread?

Comment

Cool. Then you're a pro. You beat the conspiracy. Why'd you start this thread?
                      No Bill, I'm a semi-pro with a possibility to roll back to the previous state . You never know what would be the next twist of the fate. I just wanted to hear an opinion of fellow-writers. Thanks for the comments anyway.

Comment

Contests are merely a tool, an expensive tool, that talented, hard-working writers can use as part of a larger strategy of marketing themselves and their scripts. The heavy lifting must still be done by the writer even after a contest win, but contest wins and placement have greased the skids for some working writers.

Of course, there are contests out there that are downright thievery, and even when entering contests that are on the up-and-up, there's a case to be made about when the benefit does not exceed the cost. The key is for writers not to have unreasonable expectations about the extent to which they can exchange money in place of effort to succeed in this business, in which case even a reputable contest like Nicholl will ultimately, and unjustly, seem like a scam.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
                          Contests are merely a tool, an expensive tool, that talented, hard-working writers can use as part of a larger strategy of marketing themselves and their scripts. The heavy lifting must still be done by the writer even after a contest win, but contest wins and placement have greased the skids for some working writers.

Of course, there are contests out there that are downright thievery, and even when entering contests that are on the up-and-up, there's a case to be made about when the benefit does not exceed the cost. The key is for writers not to have unreasonable expectations about the extent to which they can exchange money in place of effort to succeed in this business, in which case even a reputable contest like Nicholl will ultimately, and unjustly, seem like a scam.
                          Very well said

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
                            The heavy lifting must still be done by the writer even after a contest win, but contest wins and placement have greased the skids for some working writers.
                            +1
                            This pretty much says it all. I won a couple smaller contests, did very well in some others. But that just enabled me to get my foot in the door. I am the one who had to keep the door from being shut back. I am a working writer. It is how I earn my living. I'm not making millions, but I'm doing all right working with smaller prodcos and independents.

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
                              +1
                              This pretty much says it all. I won a couple smaller contests, did very well in some others. But that just enabled me to get my foot in the door. I am the one who had to keep the door from being shut back. I am a working writer. It is how I earn my living. I'm not making millions, but I'm doing all right working with smaller prodcos and independents.
                              Echoed 100%. I placed top 2 in a screencraft contest and the result has been terrific for starting real relationships with industry people. It helped crack doors open, but it's still on the writer to make those relationships matter. There are always exceptions such as Daugherty who seem to blow up overnight from a contest win, but those are exceptions and not the rule.
                              Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbopolis View Post
                                ok..gotcha..but give me an example of a contest winner who was nobody and became a working screenwriter and his films have a high IMDB score..

I only know Ehren Krueger but he was already in the biz before winning Nicoll.

please give me at least one example...of unconnected writer who won the contest and became a famous writer...
                                1992 Nicholl fellow Susannah Grant was nominated for an Academy Award, for the screenplay for Erin Brockovich.

Comment

Working...
                                X