Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Launch Pad/Tracking Board thread

I saw that there was an old thread comparing Tracking Board to TrackingB (no relation) but this is a different issue...

Just got an email about their 2015 contest. They claim to have gotten 66 people signed, 27 projects, and 3 bidding wars in 24 months.

They have 3 winners per year who get flown out to H-town, but they promote the entire top 40 in some way.

Those seem like rather spectacular results for a new contest that was barely on my radar and hasn't been discussed all that much on this site or any other screenwriter sandbox I play in.

When The Black List went live everyone went ape-$hit. But these numbers seem comparable to the BL's... and if so, why isn't this blowing the pixels off the forum?

I know some people here have good experience with the contest...

Any other thoughts on the topic?
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: New Launch Pad/Tracking Board thread

I think because it's still relatively new in the world of contests but it's legit.

It'll just take a minute to spread around to all the writing communities I imagine.
    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

I think it may be due to a couple of reasons:

1) Signings achieved through annual contests in general have become less of a big deal on here due to them occurring year-round as a result of the Black List

2) It's still a relatively new contest, making it hard for it to stand out amongst the approximately 30 new screenwriting contests started every year (and to compete with the established brands of Nicholl, PAGE, and Austin)

3) Many people still have difficulty differentiating it from the TrackingB contest (part of the reason I created the aforementioned thread, haha)

4) The organizers haven't done that great a job of publicizing the contest and using past winners/finalists as spokespeople/evangelists (some contests are really good in this regard)
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Here's a link to the contest: http://launchpad.tracking-board.com/...petition-2015/

Warning: The website's design is manic (obnoxious IMO).

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
        4) The organizers haven't done that great a job of publicizing the contest and using past winners/finalists as spokespeople/evangelists (some contests are really good in this regard)
        Talk about a word that needs context. I've spent time in and around the industry/LA, and can't recall anyone actually speaking that word in a positive way. And yet, it is certainly the perfect word as you used it. (Sorry for the OT, but I'm a word geek.)

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
          Talk about a word that needs context. I've spent time in and around the industry/LA, and can't recall anyone actually speaking that word in a positive way. And yet, it is certainly the perfect word as you used it. (Sorry for the OT, but I'm a word geek.)
          Yeah, that was no accidental word choice. Makes reference to those who champion a contest to the extent that you'd think it was some kind of religious faith, lol.
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I entered the Launch Pad TV pilot contest. It sounds like a great opportunity, but man, is that website a doozy! Still not entirely sure my script was uploaded properly, it's been in the queue for about 3 weeks waiting to be verified manually.

Anyone else have this experience or any advice to give on if I actually uploaded it properly? I guess I'm used to a form "your file has been received" email immediately after submitting.

Comment

Originally posted by BKDodger View Post
              I entered the Launch Pad TV pilot contest. It sounds like a great opportunity, but man, is that website a doozy! Still not entirely sure my script was uploaded properly, it's been in the queue for about 3 weeks waiting to be verified manually.

Anyone else have this experience or any advice to give on if I actually uploaded it properly? I guess I'm used to a form "your file has been received" email immediately after submitting.
              I had the same experience, but I don't think you should worry based on my experience. I entered mine on April 25th and my submission was acknowledged on June 5th. I had just about given up on it, but I guess it's in the running.

Good luck!

Comment

Wow the early bird price is 65$ for the feature competition what will the price be at the late deadline 125$ Wow!!! Not cheap but it looks like a great contest.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                  I think it may be due to a couple of reasons:

1) Signings achieved through annual contests in general have become less of a big deal on here due to them occurring year-round as a result of the Black List

2) It's still a relatively new contest, making it hard for it to stand out amongst the approximately 30 new screenwriting contests started every year (and to compete with the established brands of Nicholl, PAGE, and Austin)

3) Many people still have difficulty differentiating it from the TrackingB contest (part of the reason I created the aforementioned thread, haha)

#1 - Not sure I agree with that, considering the ongoing lack of love for the BL, despite endless debate. That, AND the bias toward queries and chiding of those who submit to contests (this was going on before BL as well).

Comment

Thanks Cooper for confirming I didn't totally botch the process. Good luck to you also!

Just curious - anyone gotten any word on the Tracking B TV pilot competition? According to the website results were supposed to be announced the second week of June.

Comment

Originally posted by BKDodger View Post
                      Thanks Cooper for confirming I didn't totally botch the process. Good luck to you also!

Just curious - anyone gotten any word on the Tracking B TV pilot competition? According to the website results were supposed to be announced the second week of June.
                      If you were a finalist, you'd know already. Public announcement happens after the finalists have been told in private.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                        If you were a finalist, you'd know already. Public announcement happens after the finalists have been told in private.
                        I figured as much, was specifically wondering if anyone here placed or if Tracking B had announced the finalists. I like to read the log lines.

Comment

I believe it'll announce this week.

Finalists definitely know by now.
                          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

They were slow getting back to me, too, but did eventually.

But is is disappointing when a contest can't provide decent customer service.

Not a coincidence that the most prestigious contests are also the most responsive.
                            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Are you guys emailing trackingb or tracking board? I know trackingb is a very small shop and is involved in a multitude of things at once. The bigger contests have a staff of people to help. Keep that in mind when complaining about not getting a response right away.

Comment

Working...
                              X