Anyone else apply for the Writers Lab "women over 40" retreat?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone else apply for the Writers Lab "women over 40" retreat?

Interesting article, MLawe. I don't begrudge any of the women writers who got in -- they are all clearly qualified.

I might be mis-remembering the entry form, but I believe the PDF for the script was supposed to contain your name, etc. on the title page. (I could be wrong. I entered in early May.) Anyone else remember if the title page had to be blank of identifying info or not?

In any case, I give Meryl Streep enormous credit for taking the initiative to do this!

Late Night Writer

Comment

The Cover Page required your name, and NYWIFT executive director confirmed in the 'Page 6' article that WGA-East judges were aware of the contestants' names at the WGA-E stage of the judging. You also had to give your Membership Number in NYWIFT or WGA if you wanted the $30 discount ($25 rather than $55 entry fee). Whether the WGA-E judges were also aware of WGA membership is unknown, but union membership of entrants easily could have been ascertained by WGA-E members who did any part of the judging.

It is not illogical that the writers' labor union would promote/advance members of its own union before any non-union members. In that most of the Lab winners have IMDb credits, some extensive, it is likely that they hold membership in WGA. Screenplays by any of the winners or finalists who are members in either NYWIFT (such as Janet Stilson) or WGA become suspect where the judging organizations knew the names of the entrants, and could inquire as to their union membership.

The contest was rigged from the start with NYWIFT requiring names on submissions. NIWIFT is a charity, a non-profit funded by tax dollars and obligated to fairness in its dealings with the public. Meryle Streep failed to ensure fairness in the competition, and likely upwards of 3000 trusting women paid $55 to get screwed. Shame on Meryl Streep.

Comment

Nowhere does it say that the women who enter can't have IMDB credits or be WGA members. It only says:

"The Lab seeks to foster exciting emerging voices, regardless of professional film experience."

"Emerging" doesn't necessarily mean newbie, and "regardless" means with or without.

I do find the non-blind evaluation problematic, however...
        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Lauri, nowhere did it say women entering had to be WGA members, but if it turns out that most of the winners (and finalists) are union members, having the union judge any part of the contest where names are on the entries renders the results questionable and the competition a sham; having every appearance of partiality and unfairness.

Comment

Originally posted by Scriptonian View Post
            Lauri, nowhere did it say women entering had to be WGA members, but if most of the winners (and finalists) are union members, having the union judge any part of the contest, renders the results questionable and the competition a sham; having every appearance of partiality.
            I agree it looks bad, given the non-blind submissions. If the submissions WERE blind, then I wouldn't find the results either surprising or objectionable.
            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Absolutely correct. Talented and hard working women all. NYWIFT (and Streep) did the winners no favor in rendering their work suspicious.

Comment

I don't have a problem with someone having credits.

But I do believe these competitions should be completely blind, start to finish.

Why would you hold such an important competition and have access to the names of those making the initial cut? There's really no reason for that information to be available to those judging, and it is no surprise that it invites some suspicion of the process.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Let the writing speak for itself in finding Hollywood's fresh, new voices. Keep it fair or don't run it. Don't insult entrants. A $55 entry fee isn't small change for many women.

Comment

Working...
                  X