Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl Semifinalist script requests?

Somebody sold something from the semifinalist list in 2012 I believe. I ran across it on Deadline or someplace a week ago. So it does happen.

I'd just be happy getting repped at this point.
    We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

Back when I was eligible, quarterfinaliing would get you at least a dozen read requests. More if you were a semifinalist.

I wonder if including loglines has cut down on the read requests.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
        Back when I was eligible, quarterfinaliing would get you at least a dozen read requests. More if you were a semifinalist.

I wonder if including loglines has cut down on the read requests.
        I'll tell you what I think. I think things are so effed-up in that town because of the beancounters that they are ONLY looking for the cream of the crop right now. And even then, it guarantees nothing.

That's one of the reasons I don't blind query. Because I consider it a waste of time doing all that legwork when I could be writing and improving my skills as a screenwriter. Now, I know there are many people who will disagree with that statement. And I also know that people have had success at blind queries. But you will be in a much better position having a little light on you, and I've had none until Nicholl. And God only knows how much money I have spent throwing scripts up on Black List the past three years, getting 8's and 9's, and not one single email or phone call - Not one.

So far, I've only gotten one from Nicholl, but it's a dandy. And I kissed that assistant's ass so much last night I have chapped lips today. And he likes me. And he's reading mine right now. Know why? Because after I told him it closed out in the top 50 in Nicholl, he said he would jump right on it. I also pitched my newest with him and he liked it too and agreed to read it if he liked the one that placed in Nicholl.

The loglines going out isn't the problem. The problem is those doors are closed and sealed tight. And if you're going to prove you got the chops, you not only have to write an ass-kicker of a story, you have find a way to crack open a door somehow if you don't have an 'in'. And I don't.

But I guaran-f*uckin-tee you, I'll find one. Even if it's an assistant. Because there's no better buddy I could have right now in Hollywood other than a gatekeeper... Unless it's his boss.
        Last edited by AE35-Unit; 09-16-2015, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
          I'll tell you what I think. I think things are so effed-up in that town that they are ONLY looking for the cream of the crop right now. And even then, it guarantees NOTHING.

That's one of the reasons I don't blind query. Because I consider it a waste of time doing all that legwork when I could be writing. Now, I know there are many people who will disagree with that statement. And I also know that people have had success at blind queries. But you will be in a much better position having a little light on you, and I've had none until Nicholl. And God only knows how much money I have spent throwing scripts up on Black List the past three years, getting 8's and 9's, and not one single email or phone call. Not one.

And so far, I've only gotten one from Nicholl, but it's a dandy. And I kissed that assistant's ass so much last night I have chapped lips today. And he likes me. And he's reading mine right now. Know why? Because after I told him it closed out in the top 50 at Nicholl, he said he would jump right on it. I also pitched my newest with him and he liked it too and agreed to read it if he liked the one that placed in Nicholl.

The loglines going out isn't the problem. The problem is those doors are closed. And if you're going to prove you got the chops, you'd better find a way to crack open a door somehow if you don't have an 'in'. And I don't. But I guaran-f*uckin-tee you, I'll find one. Even if it's an assistant. Because there's no better buddy I could have right now in Hollywood other than a gatekeeper... Unless it's his boss.
          NOTHING from 8's and 9's on the blacklist!?? So disheartening! I hope this latest request gets you something!

Comment

One of mine was on the front page of that website for 5 months last year with two straight 7's, and one straight 8, and not one phone call or email. And guess which script it was? The one I put in Nicholl this year that was in the top 50.

And thank you. So do I. And best of luck to you too. We're gonna need it. But you know that.
            Last edited by AE35-Unit; 09-16-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

One of mine was on the front page of that website for 5 months last year with two straight 7's, and one straight 8, and not one phone call or email. And guess which script it was? The one I put in Nicholl this year that was in the top 50.

And thank you. So do I. And best of luck to you too. We're gonna need it. But you know that.
              Happy for your Nicholl success -- but I'm curious. How many downloads did you get for that script on the BL? If you didn't get any (or only a few), that maybe had more to do with pros not being drawn to your logline than being hyper-selective about reaching out.
              "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I'm thinking I had 7 pro downloads? To be honest I can't remember. It was either 7 or 9 for that one. I had two on there at the same but the second one had 5 DL's and 1 request. Anyway, 7.

But if this turns to a Black List discussion, I'm outta here. Because it is pointless to discuss it. No offense.

Comment

Originally posted by scenes77 View Post
                  NOTHING from 8's and 9's on the blacklist!?? So disheartening! I hope this latest request gets you something!
                  First, congrats to every finalist, so happy for each of you-- I hope you each have a long and prosperous career.

I had a spec that received 8s and 9s and had over 20 something downloads and not one call or open discussion.

I did use it to query over 300 queries and received another maybe 15 read requests for the big guys, but signed with a manager that I love, love, love, working with. If you want to know how to send out 300 queries in an hour, I can show you how-- PM me.

Even though it received high scores, it's so much better now. We're going out with it this week. It's exciting. And now I can honestly say, it's good. It's worthy-- no matter what happens.

I'm not sure why people in the industry don't respond well to Black List specs (or so it seems). I mean, mine is on the top lists, too. I removed the script from the site 2 months ago, and I've probably had less than 30 views since then and not one request.

BUT, and here's the deal...

My manager requested my script (off a query that included the Black List scores) from me because he read the review on the Black List. And he is on it... really behind it, so I am very grateful for the Black List. It's true what they say, you just have to find the ONE that will champion you and your project.

I haven't made it yet, but I'm closer today than I was yesterday.

I just want to say to anyone who needs to hear it, don't give up. Keep writing and keep busting your ass, because you will have your time if you do.
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

That's the whole key to it. Keep writing. And never let anyone tell you you can't do it. I did that once a long time ago and if I had kept going back then, I guarantee you that I would be an established screenwriter right now.

So if anyone ever tells you that you're wasting your time, you tell them to kiss your ass.

Comment

For previous years QF/SF... after a request, typically how long before you heard back? Anywhere from a week to a few months, I'm guessing? Or not at all?! (Sorry, just new to this =)) Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by scenes77 View Post
                        For previous years QF/SF... after a request, typically how long before you heard back? Anywhere from a week to a few months, I'm guessing? Or not at all?! (Sorry, just new to this =)) Thanks!
                        When I was a quarter-finalist in previous years I averaged about 15 script requests. All of the people who requested reads got back to me very quickly. One or two never responded and I always take that as a no.

When I was a semi-finalist in 2011 I received fewer requests than when I was a quarter-finalist. I think that might have been due to my genre, my quarter-finalist script was a drama and my semi-finalist script was a period biopic.

Either way, the queries came very shortly after Nicholl released the list and everyone got back to me in a very timely manner. There are always stragglers too. I just had a query from my 2014 quarter-final placement. But generally the first month after the list release is when you'll hear from people. I'm surprised the list went out so early. I recall it being released in early October.

Comment

I think whatever went out went to a limited audience of around 200. The 'official' list won't go to the media until mid-October. Or something like that. And I could be wrong because I've heard all kinds of different scenarios. All I know for sure is I've gotten one request from a stellar management group. And right now that's all I care about.

Comment

I think whatever went out went to a limited audience of around 200. The 'official' list won't go to the media until mid-October. Or something like that. And I could be wrong because I've heard all kinds of different scenarios. All I know for sure is I've gotten one request from a stellar management group. And right now that's all I care about.
                            Yeah, that actually sounds right.

Congratulations on the request! I hope it works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                              When I was a quarter-finalist in previous years I averaged about 15 script requests. All of the people who requested reads got back to me very quickly. One or two never responded and I always take that as a no.

When I was a semi-finalist in 2011 I received fewer requests than when I was a quarter-finalist. I think that might have been due to my genre, my quarter-finalist script was a drama and my semi-finalist script was a period biopic.

Either way, the queries came very shortly after Nicholl released the list and everyone got back to me in a very timely manner. There are always stragglers too. I just had a query from my 2014 quarter-final placement. But generally the first month after the list release is when you'll hear from people. I'm surprised the list went out so early. I recall it being released in early October.
                              Thanks so much for the info!! btw 15 requests is INSANE! Just wondering what's normal and if I should chalk it up as a loss. Still going to hold out for some excitement! And in the meantime, always writing......

Comment

Thanks grommet. And just write and ignore it, scenes77. If it comes, fine. If it doesn't, fine too. This request I got may very well be my only one. But it doesn't matter. I got validated by Nicholl. So I know my writing is getting better, and better, and better. And there's only way to do that, and I will quote Oliver Stone: "Ass + Chair = Write."

Comment

Working...
                                X