• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mpimentel
    replied
    Re: Comedy Writing Classes

Originally posted by GirlinGray View Post
    My advice if you want to work on comedy is not "take a writing class," my advice is go to open mike night and get up on that stage.
    I did that a few times, just because the money they offered me was too good, each time threw up before the show, each time had to be so drunk to do it, but every time (except for one time) did really well. But the nerves needed to do that are not the ones I possess.

Leave a comment:

• landercello
    replied

Thanks again for the additional advice!

Leave a comment:

• GirlinGray
    replied

My advice if you want to work on comedy is not "take a writing class," my advice is go to open mike night and get up on that stage.

Two things that will teach you as much about writing as "writing classes" are shooting and then trying to edit film footage you shot, and being on stage yourself trying to deliver to a live audience.

Both experiences will also make you much more polite working with actors and people on cameras and lights.

Leave a comment:

• KitesAreFun
    replied

Another piece of advice would be to take an improv class. You'll learn a lot about how comedy scenes are structured and be inspired by the people you take classes with and collaborate with on projects in and out of class. I did levels 0-5 at the PIT in NYC and it opened up a whole new world for me.

Leave a comment:

• landercello
    replied

Originally posted by killertv View Post
    I've had a few experiences. All of these classes are comedy focused. Frankly pilot writing classes seem to be focused more on creating a world, characters and series engine. A lot of that translates from drama to comedy, so if you want actually comedy writing, maybe one of the improv school's sketch classes will be more about that aspect of the craft. Or take Steve's class!

iO --

iO Pilot Writing - I took this about seven years ago with a guy who is no longer there. I'm not sure if they still do it, but the one nice feature was that because iO has theater space students got to have a table read of our pilot with some other classes and a large-ish audience. A fun event and a nice way to get some real feedback. I even met a few people who became good industry friends.

iO Comedy Writing Room with Ed Lee - Ed also does UCLA Extension. Ed has writers' assistant and staff experience so he both knows how it's done professionally and has relevant advice for people starting out. The room basically writes a spec of a show as a group, and unlike a lot of other writing classes, I appreciated the direct feedback from Ed and the ability to work on room skills. One of the better classes for learning about actual comedy since there's an opportunity for room pitching and scenes get group feedback.

I'm recently taking two classes with Writing Pad -

Writing Pad TV Pilot Class with Gloria Calderon Kellett - done over Skype, Gloria is a working high-level writer, which makes this class somewhat unique in my experience of looking at classes. Everyone in the class gets ten minutes to pitch her what you're working on that week, you listen to the advice everyone else gets and by the end you have a pilot outline, with the understanding that the outline is the hard part and the draft should be quickly after the class is done. I appreciate her knowledge of the market and craft, it's really been great.

Writing Pad TV Comedy Revision with Todd Waldman - Todd was a staff writer on Happy Endings and prior to that a TV development executive. He also has a pilot writing class with Writing Pad, but the revision class reads each student's script as a casual table read then gives notes. Some good insider information as well as deconstruction of scripts and shows make it a pretty comprehensive course.
    This is really great. Thanks so much!!

Leave a comment:

• killertv
    replied

I've had a few experiences. All of these classes are comedy focused. Frankly pilot writing classes seem to be focused more on creating a world, characters and series engine. A lot of that translates from drama to comedy, so if you want actually comedy writing, maybe one of the improv school's sketch classes will be more about that aspect of the craft. Or take Steve's class!

iO --

iO Pilot Writing - I took this about seven years ago with a guy who is no longer there. I'm not sure if they still do it, but the one nice feature was that because iO has theater space students got to have a table read of our pilot with some other classes and a large-ish audience. A fun event and a nice way to get some real feedback. I even met a few people who became good industry friends.

iO Comedy Writing Room with Ed Lee - Ed also does UCLA Extension. Ed has writers' assistant and staff experience so he both knows how it's done professionally and has relevant advice for people starting out. The room basically writes a spec of a show as a group, and unlike a lot of other writing classes, I appreciated the direct feedback from Ed and the ability to work on room skills. One of the better classes for learning about actual comedy since there's an opportunity for room pitching and scenes get group feedback.

I'm recently taking two classes with Writing Pad -

Writing Pad TV Pilot Class with Gloria Calderon Kellett - done over Skype, Gloria is a working high-level writer, which makes this class somewhat unique in my experience of looking at classes. Everyone in the class gets ten minutes to pitch her what you're working on that week, you listen to the advice everyone else gets and by the end you have a pilot outline, with the understanding that the outline is the hard part and the draft should be quickly after the class is done. I appreciate her knowledge of the market and craft, it's really been great.

Writing Pad TV Comedy Revision with Todd Waldman - Todd was a staff writer on Happy Endings and prior to that a TV development executive. He also has a pilot writing class with Writing Pad, but the revision class reads each student's script as a casual table read then gives notes. Some good insider information as well as deconstruction of scripts and shows make it a pretty comprehensive course.

Leave a comment:

• KitchonaSteve
    replied

I'm teaching at Flappers in Burbank. There's a six-week sitcom pilot workshop starting in January. Occasionally there's a one-day class, but it's not currently on the schedule.

Leave a comment:

• wsaunders
    replied

UCB only does sketch. iO has some sitcom writing classes I believe. I've seen some good classes at the Writing Pad on comedy, but not sure how often they offer it.

Leave a comment:

• landercello
    started a topic Comedy Writing Classes

Comedy Writing Classes

Greetings,

I'm looking to take a comedy writing class for TV pilots and/or specs. I'm curious to people's experiences at iOWest, the Writing Pad, On the Page with Pilar Alessandra or any suggestions you may have. Also, I know that UCB and Groundlings teaches some classes, but not sure if they are only teaching sketch.

A footnote, looking for a place that truly specializes in comedy. The classes I have taken before seem to end up focusing on drama even though they promise to cover comedy as well.

Thanks!
Working...
X