X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margie Kaptanoglu
    replied
    Re: Nashville Writers Conference vs Austin

I bet Nashville and Screencraft are going to change the way they do it next year. This is the first time Nashville has partnered with Screencraft to hold a screenwriters' conference at the same time as the film festival (Nashville had a different, unassociated screenwriters' conference in the past). Somebody didn't think it through as to how odd it would seem to a screenwriter to place in a screenwriting contest, and then receive as a prize a pass to a film festival instead of to a screenwriting conference going on at the same time. Plus, as you say, we're used to getting access to both at Austin.

If I could only get into one of them, I actually preferred the film festival pass. Saw a lot of really interesting films. And we did share the parties/hospitality suite with the writers conference:-).

Leave a comment:

• BKDodger
    replied

Originally posted by Colin Holmes View Post
    Not just a lack of heat.
    I was a semifinalist this year and that didn't even warrant a discount on a badge. I could go to all the films I wanted but getting a badge to the writer's conference was still $500. I passed.

At Austin a semifinalist gets you a full ride Producers badge. 2nd rounder gets a hefty discount. I think part of it is that the Film Fest is run by NaFF and the writers competition / conference is done by Screencraft - they're out for the $$.
    I'm going to agree with Colin - I was also a seminfinalist at Nashville and pretty surprised/bummed they only comp a badge to the film festival and you have to pay full price for the writer's conference. Makes zero sense.

Austin is a fantastic experience! Only been once three years ago (semifinalist, badge was comped) but met so many fantastic writers who have become friends. It's the best mix of networking and having fun. Hope to make it out this year!

Leave a comment:

• Colin Holmes
    replied

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
    I know somebody who won (NaFF) and got bupkis, as far as heat.
    Not just a lack of heat.
    I was a semifinalist this year and that didn't even warrant a discount on a badge. I could go to all the films I wanted but getting a badge to the writer's conference was still $500. I passed.

At Austin a semifinalist gets you a full ride Producers badge. 2nd rounder gets a hefty discount. I think part of it is that the Film Fest is run by NaFF and the writers competition / conference is done by Screencraft - they're out for the $$.

Leave a comment:

• killertv
    replied

The Nashville Screenwriters Conference has been going on for years (ever since I was in Nashville nine years ago and that wasn't the first year). I hadn't realized that it was now a part of NaFF. But I always thought they got a good showing.

Nashville is the greatest city in America. So there's that.

Leave a comment:

• nativeson
    replied

I know somebody who won (NaFF) and got bupkis, as far as heat.

Leave a comment:

• muckraker
    replied

Resurrecting this thread as I am heading to the Nashville conference, so if any fellow DD'ers are going and want to meet-and-greet, shoot me a PM. Should be a blast.

Leave a comment:

• deebird
    replied

No problem. I should also add though -- since you put it in the original post -- that the conference takes place in a strip mall in the suburbs, very, very far away from "Nashville".

Again, I had a blast. There was a late night bar walking distance from our hotel that we frequented with other festival-goers once the party tents closed down. But I ended up blowing off the last day of the festival to go see the real Nashville -- and it wasn't a cheap Uber ride.

Leave a comment:

• ClintW3
    replied

Thanks for the info and insights.
    I may bug you again as the time draws closer.
    Anyone else?

Leave a comment:

• deebird
    replied

NaFF is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH smaller than AFF. I went to both this year. I think there were three panels at NaFF. At AFF it seems like there are hundreds. However, this was only NaFF's 2nd year having a screenwriting competition/conference. Before that it was just the film festival. I know NaFF wants to make their screenwriting conference a much bigger part of the festival than it currently is. I know some of the directors were even at Austin this year scouting it out. Even though it's small, I highly recommend going to Nashville. I made so many friends, and because it is more intimate, I think the relationships you make there can be a little more meaningful. Plus, the parties are easier to get into. No long lines. No fuss. Definitely going again this year.

Leave a comment:

• ClintW3
    started a topic Nashville Writers Conference vs Austin

Nashville Writers Conference vs Austin

Does anyone have experience with the Nashville Writers Conference? How does it compare to Austin?

Nashville is a fun town, so conference couldn't be a complete bust.

Thanks in advance.
Working...
X