Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Voices 2015/2016

The Fresh Voices QFs will be announced next week. Those who make the QF round have the chance to submit a new draft (for a fee).

Has anyone has experience with winning Fresh Voices? Or being a finalist?

Did you get any bump from that?

Trying to figure out what next step should be should I advance to QF.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Fresh Voices 2015/2016

Congrats to those who advanced.

http://www.fresh-voices.com/2015-scr...ists12345.html

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post
      The Fresh Voices QFs will be announced next week. Those who make the QF round have the chance to submit a new draft (for a fee).

Has anyone has experience with winning Fresh Voices? Or being a finalist?

Did you get any bump from that?

Trying to figure out what next step should be should I advance to QF.

Thanks in advance.
      What's your opinion of this contest? I'm not as familiar with them as the more famous ones.

Comment

I was in the top three for thriller/horror a couple of years back. I was pretty excited at the time but didn't even get one read request out of it. The people who run the contest are nice though, they always answer questions promptly and keep deadlines but what we really want is traction for our scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by liverbird View Post
          I was in the top three for thriller/horror a couple of years back. I was pretty excited at the time but didn't even get one read request out of it. The people who run the contest are nice though, they always answer questions promptly and keep deadlines but what we really want is traction for our scripts.
          Thanks for letting me know. What contests do you think actually moves the needle for writers? I've never entered one.

Comment

https://goodinaroom.com/blog/screenwriting-contests/

There are various lists out there, and I'm not saying the other comps on this particular list aren't worthwhile, won't garner reads and/or secure reps, but the ones consistently making the cut on all lists are the Nicholl Fellowship, Austin and PAGE.

There are so many contests that it's just foolish not to research their history and track records. Putting win money aside - which of course is nice - just what do these contests actually accomplish for winners, finalists, etc.? Are they leading to writers getting rep'd, optioning or selling a script as a direct result of winning/placing in this contest? Winning is great for the ego - but in my opinion it's the aftermath that counts.

Comment

The Nicholl Fellowships. I didn't even get to the QF's but I did get a note saying I was in the top 10%. After the contest was over I got an email from a manager who was a judge in the contest who loved the script, he read more of my work and eventually sent my scripts out to several people. The Page awards is good also. I've been a finalist in this contest with most of my scripts and I use this as a query and have had plenty of requests from this. Yesterday a producer contacted me from a script I had posted on inktip and I will be speaking with him tomorrow so I am hoping something good will come from that. I have entered contests and done well and had absolutely nothing happen with them. IMO, Nicholl, Page and probably Austin are still the best ones and pretty much the only ones I will enter until I make it. Lol.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by liverbird View Post
                The Nicholl Fellowships. I didn't even get to the QF's but I did get a note saying I was in the top 10%. After the contest was over I got an email from a manager who was a judge in the contest who loved the script, he read more of my work and eventually sent my scripts out to several people. The Page awards is good also. I've been a finalist in this contest with most of my scripts and I use this as a query and have had plenty of requests from this. Yesterday a producer contacted me from a script I had posted on inktip and I will be speaking with him tomorrow so I am hoping something good will come from that. I have entered contests and done well and had absolutely nothing happen with them. IMO, Nicholl, Page and probably Austin are still the best ones and pretty much the only ones I will enter until I make it. Lol.

Good luck!
                That's very helpful to know. Thanks for sharing that. What were the other contests that you entered? -- Did the other contests make any effort to get you representation? I notice that many of those other medium contests have an impressive roster of judges, but not sure if they have given writers results the way Nicholl and Austin have.

Other contests I was looking at, but do not know much about:
                Scriptapalooza, Final Draft/Big Break, Screencraft and Blue Cat. I consider Nicholl, Page and Austin to be the Harvard, Stanford, Yale of contests....and probably just as hard to get in as those 3 schools. Maybe, there's an UCLA of contests that will still get you attention and I have a shot. Plus, Nicholl seems to go more indie with their finalists...

Comment

Working...
                X