Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comedy contest - Screencraft or Page?

Deadlines coming up for both these contests: Screencraft comedy screenplay contest and Page (comedy category). I think I can only afford to enter one now, does anyone have input or feedback on which might be preferable? Or experiences with the contests if you've placed or won.

Re: comedy contest - Screencraft or Page?

Doing well in Page will get you more attention, in my opinion.
    It's a much larger contest.
    Also, Page is very good about announcement deadlines etc.

Comment

Seconding Clint on going with PAGE. Much better choice if you can only enter one.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Does anyone know if PAGE usually extends the deadline one more time after the "final" deadline on April 15th? And if so, is it still $69? I feel like I've seen this in years past, but I might be confusing it with another contest.
        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Re: Comedy contest - Screencraft or Page?

Getting back to the OP's question -- both these contests are strong and run with integrity. PAGE has been around longer so it has more of a track record to compare. Upandcoming, PAGE usually has a final deadline sometime in early May. It does cost more than the last-minute deadline. You can contact them to see if they're going to have one this year.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Thanks, LateNightWriter!

Comment

castilleja32: If you can only enter one, I'd vote for Page. They have a lot of success stories now; check their site. Screencraft is up and coming, but I don't think they can boast as much success at this point.

Speaking of UpandComing: In the past, Page has always extended their final, final, we-mean-it-this-really-is-the-final deadline to May 15. However, if you want to be certain for this year, email them and ask. They always respond quickly with an answer. It would be nice if you could post the answer here for others who come along with the same question, as they do every year.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Thanks, Margie. Think I'll just assume they're doing it again. Would feel strange to e-mail them and basically ask, "So are you lying about your last deadline once again this year?"

Comment

Thank you so much for the nice comments, guys! Yes, there is lots of exciting stuff happening for our winners at the moment.

We did get an email from a DDP writer asking about our Final Deadline and telling me about this thread, so I will chime in here.

We have a total of five deadlines each year: Early, Regular, Late, Last Minute and Final. (As I'm sure you know, writers are deadline-driven, so yes, the names are intentional.) Our April 15 deadline is our Last Minute Deadline, and we will announce our Final Deadline once we see how many entries have come in by this Friday night. At that point we can asses how well our judges are doing reading all the entries and figure out how much longer we can continue to accept submissions and still make our announcement dates on time.

We do want to give you guys as much time as possible to enter - and hopefully we will be able to continue to accept entries through May 15 - but we need to wait to be sure that we will be able to post our lists of Quarter-Finalists, Semi-Finalists, etc., as promised. If we get too flooded with entries between now and Friday night, we might have to move our Final Deadline up earlier.

It's not that we're "lying" about our Final Deadline - in fact, we never ever say that April 15 is our Final Deadline - we just wait to post the Final date until we get a bead on how many scripts have come in and how well our judges are doing reviewing all the entries. As you can imagine, it's a massive task.

And of course you can always email us if you have any questions!

Best regards,
                  Jen

Comment

Originally posted by PAGE Awards View Post
                    It's not that we're "lying" about our Final Deadline - in fact, we never ever say that April 15 is our Final Deadline - we just wait to post the Final date until we get a bead on how many scripts have come in and how well our judges are doing reviewing all the entries. As you can imagine, it's a massive task.
                    Understood -- and apologize for implying any dishonesty on your part. Thanks for your post!

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                      Understood -- and apologize for implying any dishonesty on your part. Thanks for your post!
                      No problem - thank you! I do understand that everyone would love it if we'd post our Final Deadline right up front, and I wish we could do that too. But if we did, we'd end up frustrating you either by not telling you the dates when we'd announce who has advanced or, like so many other contests, we'd end up missing our target announcement dates altogether. So we've opted for the lesser of two evils.

Just FYI, we've now posted our Final Deadline. We don't want to schedule it on a Sunday, when people can't mail in their checks or money orders, so it will be Monday, May 16 this year.

Best regards,
                      Jen

Comment

Cool, thanks for the heads up

Comment

Working...
                        X