No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting Class

Is this real? It doesn't seem real.

Aaron Sorkin teaches an online screenwriting class.

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/...-screenwriting

Re: Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting Class

It's very real, I'm sure. The people from that site contacted me last May and let me take a look at James Patterson's and Dustin Hoffman's classes. I can't take credit for his class, but I told them at the time they should look into getting a screenwriting class since that was what our site & community focused on, especially if they wanted to promote something here in some fashion.
    Will
    Done Deal Pro
    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
      It's very real, I'm sure. The people from that site contacted me last May and let me take a look at James Patterson's and Dustin Hoffman's classes. I can't take credit for his class, but I told them at the time they should look into getting a screenwriting class since that was what our site & community focused on, especially if they wanted to promote something here in some fashion.
      All signed up. Class starts in just 47 days

$90 seems like a good value to me-- the James Patterson one looks good, too.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

It seems interesting, for sure.

I wonder how the acting classes work out for people...that's not a discipline that lends itself to the seminar/mooc/lecture format as well as something like writing IME.

Comment

Has anyone taken the JAMES PATERSON one?
          Manfred Lopez Grem
          WGA Writer - Director | Zero Gravity Management

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by manfredlopez View Post
            I'm planning on taking that one next. Did you see that he selected one of the student's outlines and he's co-authoring a novel with her. Very generous.
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I thought this article about a literary novelist taking the Paterson masterclass was pretty interesting:

http://observer.com/2015/08/an-accom...elling-writer/

Comment

Originally posted by Zodraz View Post
                I thought this article about a literary novelist taking the Paterson masterclass was pretty interesting:

That was a good read. Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                  I'm planning on taking that one next. Did you see that he selected one of the student's outlines and he's co-authoring a novel with her. Very generous.
                  That is amazing. I bet the outline must have been very impressive. I wonder how many people will sign up. Will it be in the hundreds? The economics of it indicates that it would have to be a lot in order to keep the unit cost per person at $90. So it would still be a challenge to stand out from everyone taking the class. Considering all this, I doubt he would have the time to personally read hundreds of outlines and treatments.
                  Manfred Lopez Grem

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by Zodraz View Post

I also thank you for sharing this. After reading the article, and especially some of the comments, I now believe the actual number of students who sign up must be in the thousands.
                    Manfred Lopez Grem

REEL - IMDB

Comment

I also thank you for sharing this. After reading the article, and especially some of the comments, I now believe the actual number of students who sign up must be in the thousands.
                      I think there's already something like 2,500 signed up. A friend did a calculation based on the number of IDs in the "introduce yourself to your classmates" section. Staggering.

Post Edit: I should say that I don't actually know how many people have signed up.
                      Last edited by finalact4; 06-28-2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Maybe those of us here who take it can coordinate/ touch base?
                        www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                        http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

I wonder how much Patterson and Sorkin are making off this? Must be a lot for them to put time in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                            I wonder how much Patterson and Sorkin are making off this? Must be a lot for them to put time in this.
                            Let's see the opening weekend numbers... 2,500 sign-ups so far before it even starts for the Sorkin one. Let's say conservatively that ascends 4 times in the next few months... 10,000.

10,000 x $90 = $900,000. Let's say they keep 70% of that (following the apple store split-revenue model of 70/30)... it adds up to $630,000 for them to sit down for a five-hour talk about their craft. After that it's easy money as the site keeps generating subscription money since the master class is already produced.

It's good to be the king.
                            Manfred Lopez Grem

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
                              Maybe those of us here who take it can coordinate/ touch base?
                              I think that would be a great idea - it would definitely tip me over into deciding to pony up for the class.

Comment

Working...
                              X