Are there any online affordable courses about screenwriting?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are there any online affordable courses about screenwriting?

Thanks, Comic Bent! I will use your guides.

Late Night writer

Comment

Again, the guide is just a Quick Start — how to get the program, install it, install the fonts, install the templates, and set some preferences.

The feel of the program is a little different from what you have in a more typical Windows program, and I wanted everyone to benefit from this great scriptwriting software without being put off by the unfamiliarity of it.

In the longer version, which I am still trying to work on, I will have a lot more details about features of the program, and I will include some basic things about screenwriting — some principles for newbies who are not sure how to go about writing a script.

Let me know if I have any errors. I think that the current Quick Start is in good shape.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

It looks good to me, Comic Bent. And let me add that, as a techno idiot, I REALLY appreciate your being here and being so generous in offering your expertise!

Late Night Writer

Comment

Thanks!

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            I agree with Comicbent, what do you feel are your deficiencies? Yes, you can take a course, BUT you can also learn everything you need to know on line. It's here for the taking.

Online courses can be a distraction from writing.
            Very good advice in this thread, and great list of resources from fa4 for learning about screenwriting.

But learning about it isn't the same thing as putting yourself on the line and being pushed in a class to write, rewrite, revise, make things clearer, bring out character arcs, tighten your story, and so much more.

To learn how to write a screenplay, there are plentiful resources online (and good tips in this thread on avoiding some of the things that could waste your time and money).

But there's no substitute for a screenwriting class where you write, get feedback, rewrite, and go deeper into the process. Plus there's so much clarity to be gained on what's working and what's not through a spectrum of feedback from both the teacher and other writers.

It doesn't have to be a pricey college or university class; there are many online classes and extension courses that are very good and affordable. I'd say trust your instincts, if you feel drawn to the stimulation of a class then there are probably lots of choices in your price range, do some research on the instructors and course ratings.

Also, classes can be a lot of fun, it's enjoyable to be immersed in writing and learn from the creative ideas and feedback of others in the class. It's just a different experience from gathering lots of stuff online to read.

Has anyone mentioned go into the story? That site is loaded with resources and also offers classes.

Comment

I have taken 2-3 classes at UCLA Extension online over the years. I can't remember how much it cost, but I certainly didn't feel ripped off. They do an online/conference thing so if you can't "be there" during the class, you can still get all the info.

Comment

Working...
              X