X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sfire8
    replied
    Re: Top 5 Screenplay Competitions to Date

Not sure about all the readers at Austin, but they have contacted me to read in the past because I was a semi-finalist a few years ago. I would have gladly done it, except I've had other scripts in competition.

I guess, my point is even though I wasn't going to be paid, it was appealing to me to contribute my time and knowledge (many years as a writer and MFA from AFI) to the festival. Just don't want to discredit them because non-paid readers may be alumni or experienced volunteers.

Leave a comment:

• bruinwriter
    replied

I'll throw my vote in for TrackingB for sure. I was a finalist, and it opened all kinds of doors for me back in the day. It landed me a lot of valuable meetings, and two reps I ended up signing with.

Leave a comment:

• mikeyP
    replied

One of the reasons why this is consistently of my favorite contests: http://www.tracking-board.com/introd...ition-mentors/

Leave a comment:

• magnet360
    replied

Originally posted by Kermet Key View Post
    Is the Black List considered a "contest"? I have a script up that is considered a "top unrepresented screenplay" with an average rating of 8.3 (feel free to check it out).
    How do we check it out without your name or script title?

What happened with your "8", did you get interest from Agents, or Producers? How long are you keeping it up to get noticed?

I've had 4 downloads from non-readers on a "7" script, but nothing happened and I'm thinking an "8" might not be much different in results.

I'm thinking Hollywood isn't really looking for scripts, but if they are, there's too many contests for the actual number of scripts that would be needed.

Leave a comment:

• Jai Brandon
    replied

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
    You are right, Jai. It is subjective. And I have tried to stress that fact with people on this board who get upset that they had a 6 or 7 from one reader, and a 4 or 5 from another. However, in a case like that we are talking about a slightly higher than average score versus an average score.

By contrast, a 2 is a really low score for a script that did well elsewhere. It would be interesting to see a script like that. In all the talk here about Black List scores, I cannot remember anyone owning up to a 2. That script had to be unusual in some way to generate such a discrepancy. Ordinary subjectivity normally does not stretch that far - from finalist in a known contest to a 2 on the BL. Very strange. I would love to see that script.
    It happened a while ago, but I believe the author is still on these boards, you could ask him... (page 24 of the original "Franklin Leonard answers your questions" thread)

Leave a comment:

• Kermet Key
    replied

Is the Black List considered a "contest"? I have a script up that is considered a "top unrepresented screenplay" with an average rating of 8.3 (feel free to check it out).

Leave a comment:

• ComicBent
    replied

Jai wrote: I remember a DDer had a script that was a Page finalist, yet scored a 2 from a Blacklist reader. It's all subjective.
    You are right, Jai. It is subjective. And I have tried to stress that fact with people on this board who get upset that they had a 6 or 7 from one reader, and a 4 or 5 from another. However, in a case like that we are talking about a slightly higher than average score versus an average score.

By contrast, a 2 is a really low score for a script that did well elsewhere. It would be interesting to see a script like that. In all the talk here about Black List scores, I cannot remember anyone owning up to a 2. That script had to be unusual in some way to generate such a discrepancy. Ordinary subjectivity normally does not stretch that far - from finalist in a known contest to a 2 on the BL. Very strange. I would love to see that script.

Leave a comment:

• Celtic1
    replied

Nicholl, Page, Austin, Fresh Voices. For me, these have seemed to be the most professional and they stick to their timelines. Also a fan of the Black List but don't consider that part of the hard deadline contests.

Leave a comment:

• FoxHound
    replied

I wonder if agents / managers are even aware of these reputable contests. I queried the heck out of my 2015 Page Finalist script and I couldn't even get a "no unsolicited e-mail reply." No one gave a damn

Leave a comment:

• LateNightWriter
    replied

I'd recommend Nicholl, PAGE and ScreenCraft. These are reputable contests run with integrity and professionalism.

IMO, after those three, the rest fall into about the same middling level of quality.

Late Night Writer

Leave a comment:

• UpandComing
    replied

I'd go with Nicholl, PAGE, Austin, Launch Pad, and the Black List.

Leave a comment:

• Jai Brandon
    replied

I remember a DDer had a script that was a Page finalist, yet scored a 2 from a Blacklist reader. It's all subjective, including the "best contest" list.

Leave a comment:

• jsay
    replied

The top 4, based on seeing actual real world results are Nicholl, Trackingb, Black List, & Austin. That's the 1st tier.

Leave a comment:

• mikeyP
    replied

100% agree Figment!

Leave a comment:

• figment
    replied

I'm not talking about prizes for the "winners" or if the contest makes a profit. I was speaking about the people the contest hires to read the scripts for them.

I just meant that if you don't pay readers anything -- how accurate are they going to be when they are reading piles of scripts? Are they chucking them after ten pages? Have they ever been readers before -- because most readers (rightly so) aren't going to read for free. They should get something for their efforts.

Even the Nicholl, which is a non-profit, pays their first round readers at least a little.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X