No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen Craft Horror

Anyone heard anything from these guys?
    The closing date was July 1 and they said announcements would be made 4 to 6 weeks later. It's almost 6 weeks now and there's no mention. Several people have posted on their facebook page but they didn't get any replies.

Re: Screen Craft Horror

Don't panic. I won the ScreenCraft Family competition and didn't find out until mid April, although they had posted that winners would be announced mid February. This was only due to the judges being careful, thorough and taking the time they needed -- not because of any flakiness on the part of the contest managers.

This is an excellent contest, run with integrity. I received my cash prize within a week of the award announcement, and I have been working on my script with one of the A list writer judges, as promised.

This contest is serious about promoting their winners.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Congratulations! That's fantastic. I'm really glad to hear you had such a good experience. It's the first time entering this contest and I'm always worried when I don't hear anything or at least get updates or whatever. I'll chill out for a few more weeks and keep my fingers crossed

Comment

I see they offer a "pay extra for feedback" service. I'd love to know how many finalists or even semi-finalists paid for feedback as opposed to those who didn't. I wonder if the top 3 paid didn't. Just something of interest to me. I have another thread on the subject of readers and paying for feedback on a contest. I'd like to know the number of entries that use the service and advance as opposed to those who do not. The only way we'll ever know right? Okay, now for someone to chime in "how about not entering a contest if you are worried" or "no one's going to say if even 50% of the finalists paid for feedback" or "it's not a crime to pay for feedback." Love to have transparency on the issue though because if you're spending 50 or more dollars on the entry fee instead of 80 or more dollars ( or whatever the extra fee for feedback is) are you perhaps wasting your money? Are readers paid extra for the feedback entry as opposed to the non feedback entry?
        Last edited by purplenurple; 08-09-2016, 08:51 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

I placed 2nd in the 2014 Action/Thriller contest. I found out that I was a finalist the night before the announcement because John wanted to introduce me to one of the judges (an exec at Paramount). I found out about my final placement about a week later the morning it went public. I think the guys emailed me.

Screencraft if a terrific organization - fully legitimate. I got rep'ed by Kaplan/Perrone as a direct result of placing 2nd in their contest, and since then John and Cam have been terrific friends. The waiting game is always tough but it's a HUGE part of being a writer. Just focus on your next project and don't think about it.

Best of luck!

-A
          Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Congrats, asteven50 that is fantastic news. Would you mind telling us if you paid for feedback in this contest, and if you did was it worth it? Just curious as I am thinking of entering their action/thriller contest and was wondering about the feedback option.

Comment

Awesome asteven50. Yeah, did you pay for feedback?

Comment

Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
                Awesome asteven50. Yeah, did you pay for feedback?
                No, I didn't. Sorry!

Comment

Why are you sorry? Oh, I guess it shoots down my theory only you didn't get 1st. Maybe if you paid for feedback... I'm jk Good for you.

Comment

I did not pay for ScreenCraft feedback, Purplenurple. And I did not pay for feedback in the PAGE, where I have won both Gold and Silver.

I have paid for comments in the Nicholl, but I highly doubt that buying comments in that contest has any effect on advancing.

If a contest is run with integrity, buying feedback shouldn't matter.

I don't believe your theory holds water. If you want to buy feedback, buy it. But it will not help your script advance.

Late Night Writer

Comment

No, it holds water. it's just for every example of my theory there's examples of your experiences. Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't or maybe it just has to do with which contest. This argument is like me saying "wall street does illegal stuff all the time for a buck" and you know a stock broker who doesn't roll like that. Some readers have to much on their plate and cut corners or are impatient by the 2nd paragraph of a screenplay while others are diligent.

Look the funny thing about it all is there are so many bad films made. I saw Suicide Squad and it was weak especially toward the end. Without going into the first draft probably was better then the next zillion drafts after notes from everyone and a few other writers brought on, I always find it humorous how the system wants a first time screenwriter to write on par with the film "Citizen Kane" and yet 6 out of 7 movies made wouldn't make the quarter finals of a big contest in script form. Try reading some of the action scripts done by 6 and 7 figure income pros - they're hit or miss.

Comment

Would an under paid reader read "Suicide Squad" after 2 pages when he/she could move on to a feedback script which is more money?

Comment

Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
                          Would an under paid reader read "Suicide Squad" after 2 pages when he/she could move on to a feedback script which is more money?
                          A couple things.

First, in most contests readers and feedback-givers are not the same people. Contests will employ people to do early round reading but writing the actual notes are usually handled by a more experienced group who have a development background, or in some cases by the proprietors of the contest themselves. There are of course exceptions to this, such as the Nicholl, where the readers are ALL people with development backgrounds, but I'm speaking from my experience here as a screencraft winner and as someone who has read for contests before.

Second, in all my experiences, readers aren't in control of what they read. In my case, batches of scripts were assigned randomly. You got about 10-15 at a time and when you were done, you asked for more. It wasn't a situation where you could pass on reading one script to choose another, regardless of whether or not the writer paid for notes.

Now, to your point on whether or not readers cut corners, skim, or just pretend to read scripts. Of course this happens, and it's not paranoid of you to think so. Readers are human beings. They're not going to waste time on something that clearly isn't going to move forward. When I was a reader, this was actually an instruction given to us by the head of the contest. I remember him saying something like "If you're 5 pages in and it's a story of a dish towel falling in love with a wash cloth, get the jist of it and move on". This is SOP for contests, but the effect of it is mitigated by the fact that most of the larger ones promise multiple reads on every script. So if you are the writer of Dish Towel meets Wash Cloth, you'd need two separate readers to both throw their hands up and say "screw this thing" in order to fail. It's a highly subjective process just like the rest of the industry.

Hope this helps shed some light.

A

Comment

It does shed light thanks.

Back on topic... anyone get in the quarterfinals or semis yet for this contest? I'm not in it but interested in maybe doing one of their other contests. interested in hearing about it. They seem to do consulting so my radar is up as far as feeling "uh oh." But we've had legit responses to this thread that could contradict that feeling. Basically - quarterfinalists? Semis? Any announcement?

Comment

Nothing yet. Didn't request feedback though so not sure about that side of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X