Worth it to do contests if you're already repped?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MysteryLady
    replied
    Re: Worth it to do contests if you're already repped?

Gotcha! To answer your question, I'm technically repped for both lit and directing, but I rarely direct - I'm mostly a producer - so my rep primarily covers me for writing.

I didn't even think of the income thing. I have yet to be paid for a straight-up writing gig, but I have definitely been paid for completed content which I wrote and produced. I'm assuming this disqualifies me from most contests (aside from TrackingB it sounds like). I'll do some research.

I do have TV specs, and I'm just now starting to go out on pitches, so perhaps it's not worth it at this point. I guess I'm just weirdly sad I never got to do the contests!

Thanks for the insight!
    Last edited by MysteryLady; 09-03-2016, 07:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks
    replied

if you have reps and a great script, efforts might be better spent trying to get it on the Black List (the list, not the site)

Leave a comment:

• nativeson
    replied

Re:OP, do you have a *director* agent or a writer agent? Non writer-directors (writers) tend to be scrutinized more, IMO, because that's their only content. But to answer your question, I've heard (many times) of people doing exactly that. Not all contests have income restrictions; ***TrackingB,*** for example. There was a thread debating this awhile back using that same contest. And considering many writers are making shorts now, I don know there's a backwards or forwards anymore. If it were me, I'd try it, sure. Research the ones granting most access to winners -- that don't have income restrictions.

Leave a comment:

• Colin Holmes
    replied

IMHO - The idea of contests is to become visible to reps. Once you're repped you should be trying to get meetings and assignments.

If you've got a spec, your reps should be shopping that for a deal, not a contest win.

Leave a comment:

• MysteryLady
    started a topic Worth it to do contests if you're already repped?

Worth it to do contests if you're already repped?

Super curious what people think about submitting to contests when already repped. Is it still valuable? I know this sounds like a silly question, but I came at this whole writing thing backwards - as a filmmaker first. I'm just now figuring out the ins and outs of the writing side.
Working...
X