Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why I Hate Script Contests And So Should You

Thanks, guys. So far, it's been a positive experience. They're planning a big push starting this week to their network of contacts, and have asked me for my other scripts should someone want to see the breadth of my work.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but I also don't want to ignore an opportunity. Screencraft is a business, but they're business improves if they can show that their winners find reps, or a home for their script. So far, they seem like good people.

Comment

"Opportunity" is the operative word here. That's really the best outcome for any of these competitions... none of us are looking for guarantees. That'd be silly and naive, wouldn't it?

So seize the opportunity... try to make the most of it... and keep doing what you're doing in the meantime (mostly writing... and other forms of networking).

Comment

Two high profile management companies have requested the script. Fingers and toes are crossed.

Comment

Anyone have experiences with or an opinion about Scriptapalooza, Blue Cat, Page and Final Draft (big break)?

Comment

Do these different contests like Nicholl, Script Pipeline, Austin Film Festival have different tastes? I looked at the loglines for the Nicholl finalists and they all seem to be more indie - I didn't see a single studio type movie in the bunch.

Comment

I was a finalist in the Nicholl a few years ago with a very studio commercial script. So I wouldn't worry about how the loglines read. If your voice is big studio stuff, then submit that.

It got me my agent and my manager and was the reason I finally made the move to LA.

I only ever applied to Nicholl and AFF. Contests can be great if you pick the legit ones.

Comment

If you are a consistent writer, you most likely have a love/hate relationship with contests.

In one calendar year, I placed in Nicholl, made semi final in PAGE, and won a horror contest.

I can't say that any of these really did anything for me in terms of moving things forward (representation, what's that like?).

My contest win got me read a bit, with most reacting favorably before the inevitable "It's too expensive for us."

Both of my Nicholl placing scripts have been optioned, but as we know, it doesn't mean much until something gets produced.

Nicholl is the best by way of reputation. If you Quarterfinal, Semi, or make finals, people will want to read you. It's a prestige vetting that is always a bonus for writers needing that foot in the door.

Interesting about the indie comment -- I usually write a lot of genre stuff, sci-fi, action, horror, thrillers, but my two that placed in Nicholl were the only two scripts that were outside of that. Nicholl is similar to the Oscars in that they love social messages or issues (both my placing scripts had those), however finding a script that has the social message and is an engaging read can be difficult.

I've read some Nicholl semifinalists and while most have a good core idea, dull doesn't even come close to describing some of them. The issue can only take you so far.

Comment

Originally posted by ShakeyAnderson View Post
                  If you are a consistent writer, you most likely have a love/hate relationship with contests.

In one calendar year, I placed in Nicholl, made semi final in PAGE, and won a horror contest.

I can't say that any of these really did anything for me in terms of moving things forward (representation, what's that like?).

My contest win got me read a bit, with most reacting favorably before the inevitable "It's too expensive for us."

Both of my Nicholl placing scripts have been optioned, but as we know, it doesn't mean much until something gets produced.

Nicholl is the best by way of reputation. If you Quarterfinal, Semi, or make finals, people will want to read you. It's a prestige vetting that is always a bonus for writers needing that foot in the door.

Interesting about the indie comment -- I usually write a lot of genre stuff, sci-fi, action, horror, thrillers, but my two that placed in Nicholl were the only two scripts that were outside of that. Nicholl is similar to the Oscars in that they love social messages or issues (both my placing scripts had those), however finding a script that has the social message and is an engaging read can be difficult.

I've read some Nicholl semifinalists and while most have a good core idea, dull doesn't even come close to describing some of them. The issue can only take you so far.
                  That's very interesting. Thanks for your take. What was it about the semi-finalists scripts that you read that got them that far? - what did they do right? (i.e. good structure, characters?)

And what do you think the difference was between them and the finalists scripts? So, most of these scripts were more social issue dramas?

Comment

I can only go based on what I have read. I remember a long time ago when I made my first quarterfinal I was very excited...until I read some of the other quarterfinals. It took me back to being a reader. The quarterfinal scripts I read (recently as well as previously) generally have that good core idea, but most were a slog to get through. I read one about the Iraq war (political issue) that I had to put down many times and read something else because it just wasn't interesting.

Again, think your typical Oscar movie -- good idea, technically well written, but very unengaging and lacking in enough things happening to make me want to continue to read.

The differences between the quarter and semis were mostly (last year anyway) that the semis and finalists were more indie. I did actually read some extremely good commercial style scripts in the quarterfinal round, but none of them made it further. The higher placing scripts were all about the social message, diversity, and family relationships.

It changes each year, but I remember last year distinctly it helped if your story was about diverse characters, had some sort of social or political issue that was dealt with, and explored a family dynamic of some kind.

That's what I've noticed.

Comment

Again, think your typical Oscar movie -- good idea, technically well written, but very unengaging and lacking in enough things happening to make me want to continue to read.
                      Your "typical Oscar movie"? I'm not sure it makes sense to compare quarterfinalist screenplays in a competition for amateurs to screenplays selected in a competition for people at the peak of their profession. I make it a point to see at least half of Oscar-nominated movies/scripts each year, and most of them are usually engaging on some level.

It changes each year, but I remember last year distinctly it helped if your story was about diverse characters, had some sort of social or political issue that was dealt with, and explored a family dynamic of some kind.

"It helped"? Do you have any actual evidence that "it helped"? Or is that just some half-baked conclusion? The Nicholl is known for having a high number of dramas in the top ranks, true. But just because one year you noticed a lot of high-ranking scripts that involved social/political issues, family dynamics, or diversity, does not mean that the judges purposely seek out those kind of scripts. It could just be that those types of screenplays naturally involve situations with more conflict, making them stand out more. Or -- hold onto your seats -- it could just mean they happened to be the best scripts that year.

I think it is highly erroneous to assume there is some kind of agenda on the part of the organization just because you saw a pattern in themes in a given year.
                      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I can only go based on what I have read. I remember a long time ago when I made my first quarterfinal I was very excited...until I read some of the other quarterfinals. It took me back to being a reader. The quarterfinal scripts I read (recently as well as previously) generally have that good core idea, but most were a slog to get through. I read one about the Iraq war (political issue) that I had to put down many times and read something else because it just wasn't interesting.

The differences between the quarter and semis were mostly (last year anyway) that the semis and finalists were more indie. I did actually read some extremely good commercial style scripts in the quarterfinal round, but none of them made it further. The higher placing scripts were all about the social message, diversity, and family relationships.

Thanks for offering your impressions. I kind of have the same impression too as far as what has placed from the ones I read. So, I guess maybe some of the other competitions are more commercial friendly - Page, Script Pipeline, Austin Film Festival...? I think I'm going to go cleanse my pallet with some movie watching Have a nice weekend.

Comment

Anyone enter the screencraft drama contest?
                          I will not fall into despair! I will keep myself hearty, till freedom is opportune!

Comment

I see now where on Tracking Board, you can pay for 'an option agreement' or a "representation agreement'

P.S. This is ridiculous.

Comment

I never get that. Like surely if I do well enough in the general contest, I'll get an option or signing anyway?

If I win and I haven't paid for an option, will I be overlooked?!

It's a pricey enough contest as is.
                              I'm sure for all the thousands of great scripts that are entered there are thousands more brilliant scripts that won't be entered due to the fee.

Comment

I'd recommend anyone stay away from them. They have a ludicrous amount of "sub-contests" which should already be a red flag (e.g. Screencraft Family, China, Fellowship, Sci-fi), all of which seems to amount to finding the most effective way to separate writers from their money.

Originally posted by nycscreenwriter View Post
                                Anyone enter the screencraft drama contest?

Comment

Working...
                                X