No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contests with quality readers notes

Hi Everyone​.

As many people are at the moment, I'm thinking of entering a few contests. I've entered the Nicholls, and will submit to a handful more. Can i asked the experienced among you which contests offer good reader notes? Preferably notes that don't cost a fortune on top of contest fees
    As ever, all replies are great appreciated.

Re: Contests with quality readers notes

Originally posted by Niten View Post
    Hi Everyone​.

As many people are at the moment, I'm thinking of entering a few contests. I've entered the Nicholls, and will submit to a handful more. Can i asked the experienced among you which contests offer good reader notes? Preferably notes that don't cost a fortune on top of contest fees
    As ever, all replies are great appreciated.
    quality of notes anywhere is going to vary from reader to reader. i've gotten solid, actionable notes from some Austin and Black List critques; others from those same places have been . . . less helpful

contests in general are not paying top dollar to veteran story analysts for basic notes. you get what you pay for, as a rule of thumb

Comment

In my experience, Austin and Nicholl are the only ones with half a clue.

Comment

I thought the feedback I received from Blue Cat was very helpful. Two analyses from two readers is included in the initial registration fee, which is a smart incentive to submit to Blue Cat. The notes start off with what the readers thought was done well in the script. Then they offer up what they thought needed work, including questions on areas they found confusing.

Comment

I've had many (20 or more) sets of notes from Bluecat. The quality did vary a bit, but all had something useful and helpful to say. The free notes I got from Austin amounted to only two or three sentences and weren't the tiniest bit helpful. My Nicholl notes were about on a par with the Bluecat ones, though a little less directed at improving the script (which, in fairness, isn't their purpose).

You'd probably be better off buying notes from someone before entering a contest. I can recommend Titancreed from this board for his excellent value notes.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I like the idea of Bluecat, from what you say, it'll be a good choice. I'll have a look at buying some notes but, it feels fun to enter a couple of contests as well.
            As I'm in the UK. I was checking out a UK contest called Shorescripts, does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks again

Comment

The reality is that many of these contests are hiring from the same pool of readers, so a fair bit of the quality of notes comes down to if the organizers are paying the readers enough to spend the time to deliver quality notes.

Comment

You do know the purpose of entering a competition is to win or place, right? Not to get notes?

Competitions are not the place to go looking for notes, if you want notes, talk a producer into reading material or pay a script consultant. The purpose entering a competition is going for the win place or show so that you can use that cachet to get material read by industry professionals.
                GirlinGray

Comment

Thanks for stating the obvious GirlinGray.
                  No matter how good I think my script is, I know the competition is stiff. There's no harm in entering my script thinking that I might get something out of it even if i don't win. You don't mind do you?

Comment

Working...
                  X