Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Austin Film Festival 2017

Don't mind me, but I rather not say which category my script was. But it was a feature.

Comment

Originally posted by ImageWriter View Post
      Actually, I did mention in the subject line - Page winner. It didn't make any difference. There might be a misconception out there as to how much a competition win is helpful to get a positive reply to cold quires. Maybe, the cold query era is over. Back in early 2000's, when queries were sent by snail mail, out of 400-600 query letters I would get 75 request for my script which didn't have any competition win. Today, if you get 5-15 script request out of sending 400-600 query emails you're a champ -- but that is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

-- the internet era killed the query star.
      Title and genre, not Page winner. Contest winner doesn't tell them if it's something they need on their slate, if it's commercial, (hint at) if it's affordable to make, if it's something *they* think is cool and want to make, etc. Put that after the logline (at the top) in the query if you want. Without a title and genre in the subject line they LIKE, it just doesn't matter.

Comment

Don't mind me, but I rather not say which category my script was. But it was a feature.
        No problem. Thanks for giving your two cents in the previous page. And congrats on your previous win. It must have been one hell of a script.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
          Title and genre, not Page winner. Contest winner doesn't tell them if it's something they need on their slate, if it's commercial, (hint at) if it's affordable to make, if it's something *they* think is cool and want to make, etc. Put that after the logline (at the top) in the query if you want. Without a title and genre in the subject line they LIKE, it just doesn't matter.
          What should you say in the body of a query if you have placed high in a contest? I read somewhere that a manager says he likes receiving complements...but not sure what complement you can give.

Assuming the project is something commercial that managers would like, what do you think of a semi finalist placement in general (in top 3 of the contests)? Do you think they care about a semi finalist placement? Or do they just want to see the overall winner?

Comment

Only a Nicholl semi-finalist has value.

Comment

I don't think this is true at all. Last year I didn't even get to the quarterfinals in the Nicholl, I did get to the top 10%. After the contest was over I got a wonderful email from one of the judges who read my script. He said he was surprised to see that my script didn't advance further in the contest and wanted to read other scripts that I had. He loved another one of my scripts even more and is trying to get other people on board. This guy is a well known and respected manager that I didn't need to get to the semi-finals to impress. I don't know if anyone else has had this sort of luck with Nicholl, but the point is, it can happen.

Comment

Loverbird, we were discussing the issue within the context of how a query email can motivate an industry rep to ask for your script? The contest judge had to read your script submission no matter what. You paid for it.

Comment

Not true - I placed in the pitch competition at Austin and it got me reads and a hip pocket deal with a manager.

Comment

I'm a second rounder. are you saying don't even bother sending queries? is there any way to know which managers are going to Austin?

Comment

Back in early 2000's, when queries were sent by snail mail, out of 400-600 query letters I would get 75 request for my script which didn't have any competition win. Today, if you get 5-15 script request out of sending 400-600 query emails you're a champ -- but that is just my opinion. I could be wrong.
                      It's all you read -- i.e. not to send masses of unspecified e-mails around. Are people really sending out 400-600 e-mails? That spam-like activity likely only hurts everyone.... though, did you say 5-15 requests? hmmmm! Maybe I should try it!

Comment

I've had success with emails.
                        I don't send that many, though. When I do, I try to personalize/target.

Re: Managers at AFF, go to their website and read up on who the panelists are. Some of them are managers.
                        Last edited by cvolante; 10-14-2017, 10:58 AM. Reason: "I don't sent that many" WTF. Learn to type. GAH.

Comment

Thanks cvolante. The site lists 6. It's worth a shot. I'm sure there are many more attending who aren't on panels.

Comment

Anyone have advice to a first-time attendee?

Comment

1) Go see the bats at the Congress Street bridge.
                              2) Don't drink too much.
                              3) Talk to everybody.
                              4) Study roster of panelists so that you have better chance of recognizing writer/manager/producer when you're in a bar, party etc.
                              5) Don't drink too much.
                              6) Try to ask smart questions...not "how do I get an agent/manager."
                              7) Bring business cards. Simple is best, imho.
                              8) Collect business cards.
                              9) Arrange IRL meetups with folks you know through DDP and other online forums.
                              10) Don't drink too much.

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post
                                1) Go see the bats at the Congress Street bridge.
                                2) Don't drink too much.
                                3) Talk to everybody.
                                4) Study roster of panelists so that you have better chance of recognizing writer/manager/producer when you're in a bar, party etc.
                                5) Don't drink too much.
                                6) Try to ask smart questions...not "how do I get an agent/manager."
                                7) Bring business cards. Simple is best, imho.
                                8) Collect business cards.
                                9) Arrange IRL meetups with folks you know through DDP and other online forums.
                                10) Don't drink too much.
                                Thanks for the great tips. You going?

Comment

Working...
                                X