Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Imagine-Impact boot camp

Nope. Approx an hour ago someone posted on Reddit they got an interview and at that time 8 slots were left.

Comment

Originally posted by Believer View Post
      Nope. Approx an hour ago someone posted on Reddit they got an interview and at that time 8 slots were left.
      Wow, you think they'd just interview more people if it's that tough to narrow it down.

Comment

Agree! If that's indeed the issue. Would love to know how many applied. I'm sure all the ones who just missed it last time were back. Probably will get exponentially harder with each session.

Comment

Maybe there are a lot of people on the bubble they have to decide between. Different members of the team might have differences of opinion on who they like better.

Comment

I checked and the rejection email for Impact 1 was received at 6:42 PM PST.

They could be waiting on Ron or Brian to do a message like last time.

Comment

here's the reddit... https://www.reddit.com/user/Flip_Fandango from 3 hours ago. thinking 8 slots were left.

man, i can't even imagine what they're going through with all the entrants. if 1% is 50 candidates that means the applications are about 5,000

man, i sure hope they get a break, but probably not because of the next step is interviews.

they are seriously dedicated to their mission. gotta respect that.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

It was at 11 as of last Thursday....so that means...hmm, not even sure how their process works. Either everyone has already received their notifications and are looking for slots or they are still narrowing down. And are the remaining spots tv or feature?

Comment

they're done.

emails went out with a video.

keep heading forward...

best of luck to everyone that has an interview. rock it!
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

What do you think the competition was like for this contest? Tougher than Nicholl, Page and Austin Film Festival?

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                      What do you think the competition was like for this contest? Tougher than Nicholl, Page and Austin Film Festival?
                      this is not an amateur competition. it's a competition for professionals. that's why they can pay you $40,000 for 8 weeks of work.

Austin, Nicholl and Page are all aspiring/amateur writing competitions. they have minimums that you cannot have been paid in order to qualify as a "non-pro." the winners are ones that are writing at or close to the professional level.

it's a different animal all together.

with Impact you are competing with working writers in the industry. some newer than others and some accomplished. you cannot compare it to something like the Nichol which is basically for aspiring writers.

if you read the bios on some of the Impact 1 candidates you'll see what i mean.

this program is a way to change the development process and connect writers with industry professionals that can make their projects realized. One of the Impact 1 candidates tweeted, "to all professional writers..."

the competition is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                        this is not an amateur competition. it's a competition for professionals. that's why they can pay you $40,000 for 8 weeks of work.

Austin, Nicholl and Page are all aspiring/amateur writing competitions. they have minimums that you cannot have been paid in order to qualify as a "non-pro." the winners are ones that are writing at or close to the professional level.

it's a different animal all together.

with Impact you are competing with working writers in the industry. some newer than others and some accomplished. you cannot compare it to something like the Nichol which is basically for aspiring writers.

if you read the bios on some of the Impact 1 candidates you'll see what i mean.

this program is a way to change the development process and connect writers with industry professionals that can make their projects realized. One of the Impact 1 candidates tweeted, "to all professional writers..."

the competition is incredible.

So I guess writers that did well in the big 4 or 5 competitions, but weren't the overall winner will still have a hard time cracking the Imagine Impact? Nicholl, Austin and Page may be amateur, but the competition is still pretty fierce. It seems like the same dedicated writers are entering those contests. That's why you see the same usual suspects that place in the upper echelon of those contests.

Comment

There were over 4,000 entries this year. I'm not sure of the exact number.

Comment

So I guess writers that did well in the big 4 or 5 competitions, but weren't the overall winner will still have a hard time cracking the Imagine Impact? Nicholl, Austin and Page may be amateur, but the competition is still pretty fierce. It seems like the same dedicated writers are entering those contests. That's why you see the same usual suspects that place in the upper echelon of those contests.
                            yes, of course, the competition is tough in those contests. it's also very subjective. all contests are. winners can break in any number of ways. my point isn't that there isn't quality writing in the amateur competitions, but you do not compete against professional (working) writers already in the industry.

the fact is, imo, everyone will have a hard time competing in Imagine Impact.

i'm pretty sure there are restrictions on how much money you could have earned in the preceding year of an "amateur" contest. it's just my opinion, but i think the Impact competition must be more challenging because the pool is a level up from the amateur circuit.

hey, i could be wrong. i don't enter the Nicholl because my films are typically $50-100 million, and i don't believe i write their types of films. i'm working on something new that i might enter for Austin, because i'm planning on attending this year.

for example: David Cornue was one of the Impact 1 creators, he's recently developed projects for: Fox, USA Network, A&E Network, Entertainment One, and Stage Network. He writes for film, TV and the stage. He's also a composer, and has a writing consulting firm that is above what i could yet afford. but that is the competition. and that is only one example.

that is the level of competition. the playing field is tougher, imo. that's not to say that someone who has no credits as yet, or hasn't worked in the industry yet, or hasn't ever won a competition won't get in, they can and probably will, for sure.

but the reality is that your game has to level up to compete on this playing field.

i would guess that Imagine Impact is looking for stories that they respond to on an emotional basis. stories that they feel have themes that align with the kind of movies they respond to, can get excited about, and ultimately believe the market will respond to.

that doesn't mean that any number of other writers who weren't selected aren't good enough. it just means that these are the projects they love, want to get behind and feel they have a good chance of bringing to market in an 8 week time period.

if you think about it, it's also really tough for someone to have 8 weeks where they can drop their life and dedicate the time to be a creator in the mentor program.

anyway, these are just my opinions. i think everyone who feels they have a project that should be made should apply. it's free. you have nothing to lose. there is absolutely no reason not to.

we can start working toward the next round in July. i for one, will be thinking hard about April what project that might be best suited.

as another thought, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take Ron Howard's MasterClass, because i have, and you learn a lot about him as a filmmaker and the why he responds to certain projects. i wish i had taken it before i applied. haha.

good luck to all the selected creators and wishing you the best at getting your projects produced.

FA4

Comment

Anyone make the finals? Everyone is being so quiet this cycle!

If you're out there, speak up! We want to cheer you on!

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                                yes, of course, the competition is tough in those contests. it's also very subjective. all contests are. winners can break in any number of ways. my point isn't that there isn't quality writing in the amateur competitions, but you do not compete against professional (working) writers already in the industry.

the fact is, imo, everyone will have a hard time competing in Imagine Impact.

i'm pretty sure there are restrictions on how much money you could have earned in the preceding year of an "amateur" contest. it's just my opinion, but i think the Impact competition must be more challenging because the pool is a level up from the amateur circuit.

hey, i could be wrong. i don't enter the Nicholl because my films are typically $50-100 million, and i don't believe i write their types of films. i'm working on something new that i might enter for Austin, because i'm planning on attending this year.

for example: David Cornue was one of the Impact 1 creators, he's recently developed projects for: Fox, USA Network, A&E Network, Entertainment One, and Stage Network. He writes for film, TV and the stage. He's also a composer, and has a writing consulting firm that is above what i could yet afford. but that is the competition. and that is only one example.

that is the level of competition. the playing field is tougher, imo. that's not to say that someone who has no credits as yet, or hasn't worked in the industry yet, or hasn't ever won a competition won't get in, they can and probably will, for sure.

but the reality is that your game has to level up to compete on this playing field.

i would guess that Imagine Impact is looking for stories that they respond to on an emotional basis. stories that they feel have themes that align with the kind of movies they respond to, can get excited about, and ultimately believe the market will respond to.

that doesn't mean that any number of other writers who weren't selected aren't good enough. it just means that these are the projects they love, want to get behind and feel they have a good chance of bringing to market in an 8 week time period.

if you think about it, it's also really tough for someone to have 8 weeks where they can drop their life and dedicate the time to be a creator in the mentor program.

anyway, these are just my opinions. i think everyone who feels they have a project that should be made should apply. it's free. you have nothing to lose. there is absolutely no reason not to.

we can start working toward the next round in July. i for one, will be thinking hard about April what project that might be best suited.

as another thought, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take Ron Howard's MasterClass, because i have, and you learn a lot about him as a filmmaker and the why he responds to certain projects. i wish i had taken it before i applied. haha.

good luck to all the selected creators and wishing you the best at getting your projects produced.

FA4

I wonder if there were a lot of writers who placed highly in the major contests (or even won those contests) who were not selected for Imagine Impact. Imagine's slate is quite varied, so it's hard to predict what they would actually respond to. Just reading the comments on social media, it does seem like many aspiring writers feel like they have a shot at getting a slot. But from the level of the competition indicated, a writer would have to be pretty close to top level--where experience in the industry would give you a leg up...for the simple fact that experience will help you write a more sophisticated script and be able to pitch it better than just some novice off the street.

Comment

Working...
                                X