X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cvolante
    replied
    Re: Oaxaca Film Festival

Thanks for the comments. It seems to me any film festival will naturally have filmMAKERS who are inherently INDUSTRY. They made a movie, which is more than we have going on in that depressing "What's the point of it all" thread. And they're more likely the people I want to meet/like-minded. I'm excited.

Leave a comment:

• 9Light
    replied

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post

but i would go for the mole alone
    yes.... mole, mezcal & monte alban + festival pass, airfare & hotel for the price of a room in Austin for 4 nights? sold me. as did earlier threads on the topic:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=81586

industry connections are nice, but so are good films, food & conversation

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks
    replied

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
    Although - to quote the track 'Satan' by Orbital - "a funny thing about regret is, that it's better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't done."
    (technically, that's a sample of Butthole Surfer's "Sweat Loaf" for the record)

but i would go for the mole alone

Leave a comment:

• Crayon
    replied

Although - to quote the track 'Satan' by Orbital - "a funny thing about regret is, that it's better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't done."

But then always remember to never accept a drink from your taxi driver.

Leave a comment:

• nativeson
    replied

Very disorganized submission process. You can get great food in the US without being kidnapped. Pass

Leave a comment:

• cvolante
    replied

Well, I want to eat in all the restaurants and drink all the mezcal and see the historical ruins, so between that and the fact that my script is set in 18th century "New Spain," I think I'll be in the right place.

Just wondering practicalities: is it hard to get around, were the panels good? I kind of had heard the opposite - there are a lot of Sundance-rep-types and I definitely see there are people from Canana, etc. Looks pretty good to me, other than the practicalities of going alone as a woman.

Leave a comment:

• Crayon
    replied

I've seen Apocalypto. Are you sure you want to risk it?

Leave a comment:

• Silencio5
    replied

I was part of the "Official Selection-, along with some 50+ other screenwriters in 2012. Oaxaca is a beautiful city, but I still question the festival's legitimacy as industry connections are minimal and notoriety as an "official selection- (of this particular festival) doesn't mean much in the industry. I found the whole thing to be a big promotional tool for the city. Once there, it's all about getting you to spend cash at festival-sponsored restaurants or coffee houses or excursions to visit historical ruins. I met some great folks and the food is amazing, but as an industry springboard, the festival still has some catching up to do.

Leave a comment:

• cvolante
    started a topic Oaxaca Film Festival

Oaxaca Film Festival

Has anybody been? Anybody going? Advice?

My new script is a finalist and I've always wanted to go there, so I'm going.
Working...
X