• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catcon
    replied
    Re: Nicholl 2019

Originally posted by Procrastinator View Post
    Yeah, I submitted three but only got one feedback (top 10%).

I’m assuming the other two were rejections, but didn’t get the boilerplate letter.
    As I implied here:
    Previous post on this very concern
    If you've paid for 2 or 3 submissions, you deserve an email for each. What if yours slipped through the cracks?!

Or, what if it were one of the quarterfinal emails, and IT slipped through the cracks.. and here you are, a quarterfinalist and don't even know it!

Leave a comment:

• Procrastinator
    replied

Originally posted by Rando View Post
    I entered 3 scripts but only got email notification for 2.

Did anyone else have this happen?

Yeah, I submitted three but only got one feedback (top 10%).

I'm assuming the other two were rejections, but didn't get the boilerplate letter.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

It's that time of year again... I want to read your Nicholls QF script! But only send me if you are amazing, aren't afraid to be judged harshly and maybe ignored completely. I'm not going to audition for writers who are ONLY Nicholls QF, so send me or don't.

Lee @ stobbyent.com

FROM TWITTER

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

Originally posted by DarkKnight(OfTheSoul)
    sits quietly...
    One year, I was a reader for a contest I had scripts submitted too. I got the reader job after I entered, found it on craigslist for 10 bucks a read. I told myself, well if I get my own script I'll throw it back, but the rest I'll just be honest. And I was curious as hell to see what my pears were writing. Good learning experience for me.

I wouldn't do that again, but I was just starting out. At the time I was thinking, this is how you find your readers??? But again, at least I had good intentions. I figured if I turn down the job, they'll just replace me with probably someone else that has skin in the game. For all I know all the readers were just like me. I mean for 10 bucks -- probably!

I think I submitted a sample to get the job (probably free coverage they used on a script regardless if they hired you or not I bet). The reviews I gave out where a whole lot better than the crappy ones I got back on my own script.

So yeah, these contests aren't so super well run thing all the time.

Leave a comment:

• catcon
    replied

Oh, and what about those who tried to strategize their submissions for Nicholl - thinking this genre script would be better than that one, etc.?

Previously, I'd sent them anything and everything, but this time I chose my Frank Capra big piece of Apple Pie and Mom Americana. I thought: "It's a sure thing!" After all, the Yankees are going to be tearing themselves apart in their Election, in just over a year, so I had dreams of this being made by then (yeah, right) because a story that highlighted the best of them, instead of picking sides, ought to do well, eh?

Well, the email said something about 2 positive reads, whatever that means.

Incidentally, back in June I'd posted the first two pages of the script in question, over on this thread:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...84&postcount=6

Sorry, for your amusement here was the log that went along with the submission:

At the height of the Great Depression, a wealthy older man who’s
    losing his memory wants his estate to go to someone needy, so he launches
    a quest with his trusted valet and his attorney-in-disguise to find the
    perfect candidate.
    Last edited by catcon; 07-26-2019, 11:40 AM. Reason: Oops, added log for reference

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

And just as a reminder...

If you do or don't place, that's not an indication of whether of or not you can get signed and do well with producers. Again, two scripts of mine that did zero in Nicholl did very well with agents and producers. TRY regardless!

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• catcon
    replied

Nope. When I've submitted 1, 2 or 3, I got 3 emails. I'd give 'em a ding, since on their FB page they've announced that they "all" went out 12 hours ago - but maybe be sure to check your 'Trash' box first!

Leave a comment:

• Rando
    replied

I entered 3 scripts but only got email notification for 2.

Did anyone else have this happen?

Leave a comment:

• Hernan Giaggio
    replied

Originally posted by blue439 View Post
    I'm wondering how the number of quarterfinalists is determined. Is it a fixed number or percentage? The notification said 365 out of 7,302. How is that determined?
    It's "top 5% plus ties."

Leave a comment:

• Max Otto Schrenck
    replied

The script I entered into the Nicholl just advanced to the Quarterfinals.

Not 3 days ago I received contest coverage on the same script from a low-level, but still by some considered worth entering, screenplay competition. I did not advance. The coverage read like it was written by a middle-schooler and was borderline incoherent. But it still stung like hell. Said my script was essentially garbage. Here's a condescending excerpt:

"Remember, a screenplay is a story told by pictures. Therefore, it is critical that the writer pours the elements of personal and private of the protagonist into the script so everyone knows, connects, and understands the journey of the protagonist."

We all know this already but: it's all subjective. If you believe in your story then Keep. Moving. Forward. Hopefully this helps some people in some way who read this post.

Cheers... to writers.
    I don't think it would be an actionable offense for you to name the contest. I'm suspecting BlueCat, because that's a familiar complaint about them. If it's any other 'un, speak up....

Leave a comment:

• blue439
    replied

I'm wondering how the number of quarterfinalists is determined. Is it a fixed number or percentage? The notification said 365 out of 7,302. How is that determined?

Leave a comment:

• JS90
    replied

The script I entered into the Nicholl just advanced to the Quarterfinals.
    Congrats, that's awesome!

Leave a comment:

• catcon
    replied

Arrgh don't sweat it. All the best to those still in, and to those who joined me in the 'miss' parade, let's hope that next year WE DON'T QUALIFY! $$$

Leave a comment:

• Colin Holmes
    replied

Swing and a miss. Maybe next year.

Leave a comment:

• catcon
    replied

The script I entered into the Nicholl just advanced to the Quarterfinals...
    Congrats!

For those who do the 'contest' thing, Nicholl is the one you want to do. It's the PowerBall lottery versus the scratch tickets.

I mentioned that I'd entered 27 contests; but 13 entries were to Nicholl, and they were 13 of the last 15 that I did. That is, you go where there's smoke, to find that fire.

G'luck! At least you only have about a month to wait for the next announcement

Leave a comment:

Working...
X