X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bono
    replied
    Re: Nicholl 2019

For half the price I'll tell you to quit screenwriting too.

Leave a comment:

• Madbandit
    replied

Originally posted by DarkKnight(OfTheSoul) View Post
    $20 cheaper?

They should be more expensive. The readers should get paid more. It might translate to even better notes.

If you can't invest $20 in your career then maybe it's not that important to you. $20 is nothing. It's a movie ticket. It's a little gas. It's a t-shirt.

Every extra cent you should reinvest into your career. If you're serious.

Not to preach or anything. Just my thoughts.

But $20 is a lot of money, if you're financially strapped. I had a bunch of lousy temp jobs that made me save money than spend. Don't begrudge people for not having the same financial outlook you have.

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

Originally posted by Hernan Giaggio View Post
    Aw damn, I already jumped...
    Ha! Dang it. I'm always late to the party.

Leave a comment:

• Hernan Giaggio
    replied

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
    Ha! YUP!

I'm setting up a group "LET'S JUMP OFF THE FUKKIN BRIDGE WHILE HOLDING HANDS!" hang, lemme know if you're down and I'll include you in the Evite.

...Otherwise you can keep writing. LOL
    Aw damn, I already jumped...

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

You're right. I should probably quit.
    Ha! YUP!

I'm setting up a group "LET'S JUMP OFF THE FUKKIN BRIDGE WHILE HOLDING HANDS!" hang, lemme know if you're down and I'll include you in the Evite.

...Otherwise you can keep writing. LOL

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

$20 cheaper?

They should be more expensive. The readers should get paid more. It might translate to even better notes.

If you can't invest $20 in your career then maybe it's not that important to you. $20 is nothing. It's a movie ticket. It's a little gas. It's a t-shirt.

Fukkin WHAT????

3 posts since 2014?

Dude... who ARE you? LOL (meaning, I bet you're a reader, true/false?)

Leave a comment:

• Hernan Giaggio
    replied

$20 cheaper?

You're right. I should probably quit.

Leave a comment:

• DarkKnight(OfTheSoul)
    replied

Man, I wish these were $20 cheaper. I'm always so torn about paying for them...
    $20 cheaper?

Leave a comment:

• Hernan Giaggio
    replied

Man, I wish these were $20 cheaper. I'm always so torn about paying for them...

Leave a comment:

• DDoc
    replied

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    I've actually gotten that note! From my last reps.
    Lol wtf? Seriously?

Anyway I didn't get past the first two readers but their comments were pretty nice.

Round 1 - Read 1 Comments:

A compelling teaser opening hooks the reader immediately with the mystery of what lies within the mines. That mystery remains compelling throughout, while achieving the admirable balancing act of being genuinely scary in parts, with real stakes (the demons crawling out of the fire! The terrifying demon birth in the inner sanctum of the jinn!) - but also bringing the reader along for a fun, high-spirited adventure. Descriptive passages are excellent at bringing the landscape visually to life, and keeping us oriented geographically as to where all the players are on the board (mine, tavern, temple, etc). And though there is a fairly wide cast of characters, the script did an excellent job of introducing them all in memorable ways, underlining and emphasizing characters which would play major roles, and efficiently cueing the audience on supporting characters (even when the initial carefully crafted impressions of them are revealed to be misleading).

Dialogue manages to feel timeless and epic, yet natural (never stiff or wooden), which is no easy task. I enjoyed the growth of Hassan from feckless, immature princeling to serious and honorable man - though I admit I was surprised to see the story's final moments spent with him, rather than Kassim, who I considered the real hero of our story.

A fun, quick read.

Round 1 - Read 2 Comments:

The Mountain That Eats Men is a well crafted story with some extremely charming characters. Hassan is an especially fun character to read and I love his growth from stereotypical snobby prince to a savior to all of his newfound friends. I also enjoyed the friendship between Farid and Haidar in contrast to the growing friendship between Kassim and Hassan.

I loved most of the characters, especially the main duo, however, I would love to see Oma and Amalia's characters developed more. There isn't a female character until around halfway into the story, which is fine, but I would just like to see a stronger female presence, especially in the action scenes at the end. Oma seems like a firecracker and I would like to see her stand up for herself and show off her fighting skills.

The action was very well written, especially the fight on the ship between Hassan and Kassim. The dialogue in the script was very funny and light and I enjoyed reading the different voices of each character and discovering their wit.

Nicer than I thought they'd be, even though I got jack **** out of submitting.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
    They told me they hated my script and that I should kill myself. Sheesh.
    I've actually gotten that note! From my last reps.

Leave a comment:

• DDoc
    replied

They told me they hated my script and that I should kill myself. Sheesh.

Leave a comment:

• Hernan Giaggio
    replied

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    It's that time of year again... I want to read your Nicholls QF script! But only send me if you are amazing, aren't afraid to be judged harshly and maybe ignored completely. I'm not going to audition for writers who are ONLY Nicholls QF, so send me or don't.

Lee @ stobbyent.com

FROM TWITTER
    Thanks for posting this, by the way.

Leave a comment:

• heynickcam
    replied

Made the QF even though I realized I had submitted a slightly older and less-refined version of the script, oy!

Leave a comment:

• Procrastinator
    replied

Originally posted by catcon View Post
    As I implied here:
    Previous post on this very concern
    If you've paid for 2 or 3 submissions, you deserve an email for each. What if yours slipped through the cracks?!

Or, what if it were one of the quarterfinal emails, and IT slipped through the cracks.. and here you are, a quarterfinalist and don't even know it!

Just got word.

No QF, as I suspected.

One of my other scripts cracked the top 15%, though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X