Franklin Leonard

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Franklin Leonard

    Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
    I took the free evaluations because they came with free hosting. It's a package deal. I guess you could just keep your 8's and hope for some additional love from the industry folks, but you'll have to pay the $25 a month to host (and it still is 25 btw -- not sure where the $30 a mo. rumor got started).

    If you DON'T take the free evals, you'll always wonder what they would have been.

    But you're going to get some 5's, either from readers or the industry. So what. Only makes them look bad, not you.
    The $30 a month charge is not a rumor. It's clearly stated on the Blacklist website.

    "Non-guild members must host at least one screenplay or pilot ($30/script/month) in order for their membership to be active. We also encourage, but do not require, the purchase of at least one paid evaluation from our readers ($75/read for features and 1-hr pilots, $50/read for half-hour or less pilots). Only hosted scripts can receive evaluations."

    Comment


    • Re: Franklin Leonard

      If your service is geared toward helping writers, one has to ask -- are writers being helped or are you just taking the money? Allowing someone to pay for 31 reads is not helping that writer. It is lining your pockets. Only a fool would say otherwise.

      When you have something like Imagine Impact which is FREE to enter, pays the writers 40k, sets them up with a mentor for rewrites, helps them form a pitch and sets them up to pitch to a huge group of industry people, and helps them get reps, other services pale in comparison.

      Even the Nicholl, which gets knocked sometimes as their winners are often not super commercially bent, still, if a writer is one of five winners they pay the writer a 30k fellowship.

      If you "win" the BL by paying for a couple reads and wind up on a top list, congrats! It is an accomplishment. But for your hard work you get to continue to pay the BL 30 bucks a month to be hosted, while never knowing who has actually read your script.

      One of these things is not like the other.

      Comment


      • Re: Franklin Leonard

        Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
        Wait... WHAT? How the frick do you not have an agent/manager?
        the problem is this... it's not on the top lists because it aged out and i didn't continue to pay for more reviews. i would have to pay for two upfront to get on the top month and quarter, then pay for another two to get on the top annual list.

        and apologies, i think you misunderstood. it is on the most popular list, which i don't think anyone really knows how to access.

        it isn't visible unless you go to "search" and select "most popular," then you can see it. i don't know how many people know you can search that way. if you don't search that way, you don't know it's one of the most popular.<--- most popular is key. i use it in my query and load it on my website. i'm not sure it really means anything, but marketing is marketing, you know?

        so, it's most popular, i still have no idea who's read it. i mean, there's a lot of "indy pros" who are not able to "option" material at this budget. it's probably in the $50 million range and according to Imagine Impact, that's considered Ultra High Budget.

        the only way to get on the top lists again is to pay for two more reviews. not ready to do that until i rep up. then they can be one of the "votes" to get me on the list again. some writers at the very top (#1) has like 19 paid reviews-- every public review is an 8, 9, or 10. it has 122 overall ratings. the writer doesn't show the graph that gives the rating distribution, and that is usually an indication there are lower scores as well, imo. not to take anything away, it must be an amazing script. i'm sure it is.

        and i don't know the quality of the reviews anymore. i was lucky before on both my specs. i have a new one that will be ready to submit for reviews to see if it needs another rewrite or not. if it gets high enough scores, i'll post it on the site.

        there is nowhere that you can search by highest ratings, and TBL admits why... because then indy pros would only search for scripts 8 and above. it's unfair to take a rating that is hugely subjective and allow them to search by rating. an 8 to one person is another person's 6, know what i mean?

        well, i haven't been looking. i started sending the first round of queries out last week. i haven't sent it to anyone in a couple of years. i thought i couldn't send it out because it had some exposure already-- don't know why i thought that. handful of people, maybe a dozen or so.

        like i said before, i had a manager for about a year. some top execs read it, screen gems, sony TV, but it was a time when "serial" killer sh!t was really saturated, especially on TV.

        the writer doesn't show the graph that gives the rating distribution, and that is usually an indication there are lower scores as well, imo. not to take anything away, it must be an amazing script. i'm sure it is.

        i keep Tracker up there and Wasteland (the Feature is somewhere around #55). not many downloads, because as soon as they see, budget: BLOCKBUSTER, i think, smartly, indy pros don't bother wasting their time. haha.

        and Lauri D, feels the pain, too. she is an amazing writer, consistently receives high 8s and 9s (i think she's received straight 9s) on her scripts. so yeah, it can be quite disappointing.

        The only real way Tracker is viewable is on the "featured script" listing. they select scripts and team you up with a graphic artist to design a poster. it's fun. exciting. here's a dropbox to TRACKER. here's a dropbox link---> https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlklzwockb...%20V2.jpg?dl=0 my daughter had it blown up full size for my office. haha.

        the other problem is that it is very dark and violent. but hey, you're watch a killer's memories, violent is built into the premise.
        Last edited by finalact4; 07-21-2019, 09:58 AM.
        "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

        Comment


        • Re: Franklin Leonard

          Originally posted by figment View Post
          If your service is geared toward helping writers, one has to ask -- are writers being helped or are you just taking the money? Allowing someone to pay for 31 reads is not helping that writer. It is lining your pockets. Only a fool would say otherwise.

          When you have something like Imagine Impact which is FREE to enter, pays the writers 40k, sets them up with a mentor for rewrites, helps them form a pitch and sets them up to pitch to a huge group of industry people, and helps them get reps, other services pale in comparison.

          Even the Nicholl, which gets knocked sometimes as their winners are often not super commercially bent, still, if a writer is one of five winners they pay the writer a 30k fellowship.

          If you "win" the BL by paying for a couple reads and wind up on a top list, congrats! It is an accomplishment. But for your hard work you get to continue to pay the BL 30 bucks a month to be hosted, while never knowing who has actually read your script.

          One of these things is not like the other.


          Agreed!

          And the non-transparency... what other "business" functions this way? Where they refuse to tell you the qualifications of the person evaluating your work nor the qualifications for the person looking to make your work.

          The site heavily relies on "the dreams of the desperate." It's barely above a flat out scam.
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

          Comment


          • Re: Franklin Leonard

            Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            the problem is this... it's not on the top lists because it aged out and i didn't continue to pay for more reviews. i would have to pay for two upfront to get on the top month and quarter, then pay for another two to get on the top annual list.

            and apologies, i think you misunderstood. it is on the most popular list, which i don't think anyone really knows how to access.

            it isn't visible unless you go to "search" and select "most popular," then you can see it. i don't know how many people know you can search that way. if you don't search that way, you don't know it's one of the most popular.<--- most popular is key. i use it in my query and load it on my website. i'm not sure it really means anything, but marketing is marketing, you know?

            so, it's most popular, i still have no idea who's read it. i mean, there's a lot of "indy pros" who are not able to "option" material at this budget. it's probably in the $50 million range and according to Imagine Impact, that's considered Ultra High Budget.

            there is nowhere that you can search by highest ratings, and TBL admits why... because then indy pros would only search for scripts 8 and above. it's unfair to take a rating that is hugely subjective and allow them to search by rating. an 8 to one person is another person's 6, know what i mean?

            well, i haven't been looking. i started sending the first round of queries out last week. i haven't sent it to anyone in a couple of years. i thought i couldn't send it out because it had some exposure already-- don't know why i thought that. handful of people, maybe a dozen or so.

            like i said before, i had a manager for about a year. some top execs read it, screen gems, sony TV, but it was a time when "serial" killer sh!t was really saturated, especially on TV.

            the only way to get on the top lists again is to pay for two more reviews. not ready to do that until i rep up. then they can be one of the "votes" to get me on the list again. some writers at the very top (#1) has like 19 paid reviews-- every public review is an 8, 9, or 10. it has 122 overall ratings. the writer doesn't show the graph that gives the rating distribution, and that is usually an indication there are lower scores as well, imo. not to take anything away, it must be an amazing script. i'm sure it is.

            and i don't know the quality of the reviews anymore. i was lucky before on both my specs. i have a new one that will be ready to submit for reviews to see if it needs another rewrite or not. if it gets high enough scores, i'll post it on the site.

            the writer doesn't show the graph that gives the rating distribution, and that is usually an indication there are lower scores as well, imo. not to take anything away, it must be an amazing script. i'm sure it is.

            i keep Tracker up there and Wasteland (the Feature is somewhere around #55). not many downloads, because as soon as they see, budget: BLOCKBUSTER, i think, smartly, indy pros don't bother wasting their time. haha.

            and Lauri D, feels the pain, too. she is an amazing writer, consistently receives high 8s and 9s on all her scripts. so yeah, it can be quite disappointing.

            The only real way Tracker is viewable is on the "featured script" listing. they select scripts and team you up with a graphic artist to design a poster. it's fun. exciting. here's a dropbox to TRACKER. here's a dropbox link---> https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlklzwockb...%20V2.jpg?dl=0 my daughter had it blown up full size for my office. haha.

            Hmmmm.... I don't totally get how BL works, but if (WHEN!) you get repped up again, why bother with BL? Or did I read you wrong?
            Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

            Comment


            • Re: Franklin Leonard

              Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
              ..i haven't sent it to anyone in a couple of years. i thought i couldn't send it out because it had some exposure already-- don't know why i thought that. handful of people, maybe a dozen or so...


              I'm always blaming my poverty for not taking advantage of these paid script posting sites, but this is my biggest reason for not partaking. Aside from the usual going-wide blitzkriegs from reps, it is indeed possible that posting scripts (or even coverage eg. SpecScout?) on such sites can essentially blacklist you among an unpleasant proportion of producers (and reps, if you care).

              But listen up: I regularly do pitch blasts for scripts that have been polished significantly (shorter script, new log, fresh query). Aside from the occasional new read, I have also had repeat reads from people who'd seen earlier drafts 3-5 years ago. Maybe it puts me on some other sort of blacklist, as a result, but this keeps happening. There are lots and lots of prospective buyers out there, and since financial capability, interests, public mood changes so much and so often, you should never give up on your work (even if Bono disagrees ).

              Anyway, I won't go on about it.

              Have you tried VPF? They have a number of prodcos who list "big" or "high budget" or "blockbuster" interests (which you will have to match against their company background, which of course you will research first). Wait till there's a big sale on (which happens every 2nd day, it seems, on VPF) and get yourself a bundle, say 13 for $90, and then use them very judiciously, for companies that you know (like Alcon*) might be able to afford things such as your epic.

              * Alcon; yes, I have their email addresses, but I've only ever gotten "we don't take unsolicited" on my pitches there, over the years. Gave up at least 4 years ago. As a result, I did hit them up on VPF. The guy there annoys me with his "It just didn't grab us" responses, but given their stature I'd still try them on VPF (since I'm unrepped) - but only when I have the cash. I assume you have a more normal financial situation than I do, that's all.

              And g'luck! Go and convince them that your spec is the source IP that's gonna break big, and generate endless sequels and TV series!

              VPF pros and needs
              Last edited by catcon; 07-21-2019, 10:10 AM. Reason: Added VPF link of 'pros'

              Comment


              • Re: Franklin Leonard

                Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                because then indy pros would only search for scripts 8 and above. it's unfair to take a rating that is hugely subjective and allow them to search by rating.

                Ha! Is that what someone actually said? That's even worse than saying nothing at all.

                I mean, you CAN do a search for 'Reader Endorsed' scripts. That means the script has received at least 2 scores of 8 or higher. So any Indy Pros searching for the 'Best' scripts could do that.

                Right now there are 90 scripts hosted (out of 3400) that fit that criteria.

                If you do a search for 'Most Popular + Reader Endorsed' my script is #26.

                You know who searches that way? NO ONE (I've never had a download when I wasn't on a Toplist).

                Comment


                • Re: Franklin Leonard

                  Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
                  ...You know who searches that way? NO ONE (I've never had a download when I wasn't on a Toplist).
                  I'd expect you're right. Even over on freemeister CJ Walley's ScriptRevolution, he has an amazing number of search criteria that you can plug in, but that's really only of use or interest to programming guys such as him (and me, also my background in database). Very cool, but how much is it ever utilized?

                  Comment


                  • Re: Franklin Leonard

                    Originally posted by Strangerthanfiction View Post
                    The $30 a month charge is not a rumor. It's clearly stated on the Blacklist website.

                    "Non-guild members must host at least one screenplay or pilot ($30/script/month) in order for their membership to be active.

                    Hmmm. Not sure what to make of this. I pay $25 a month.

                    Maybe they've recently changed and any scripts uploaded AFTER 2018 are 30, and everything before is grandfathered?? Who knows...

                    Comment


                    • Re: Franklin Leonard

                      IDK... I met with some fancy spots (think superhero) off my $90 mil sci-fi (realistically you could do it for $40 mil), but the conversation went like...

                      ME: Got any OWAs?

                      THEM: Nope, we're all looking for IP just like you.

                      ME: Okay, then I guess we'll talk about the weather. (Not really, but basically. The discussion was definitely not movies.)

                      IN MY MIND: "Why the fukk am I here?"

                      POINT: I wouldn't super hold onto your dream of your EPIC getting made. Why am I told "We fukking loved it! But, we can't offer you a job." Huh? Again, then why am I sitting here? I could be at the beach not wasting my time.
                      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

                      Comment


                      • Re: Franklin Leonard

                        Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                        Hmmmm.... I don't totally get how BL works, but if (WHEN!) you get repped up again, why bother with BL? Or did I read you wrong?
                        it's entirely possible that Tinder Sweet 16 will attract a rom-com rep and Tracker/Wasteland (and others) will attract action thriller reps. typically, from what i've gathered from the good folks here, is that reps rarely cross these genres.

                        if i can get on the top lists for the rom-com, i'd definitely want to sell it even as a one off. to query, it does help to be on the current top lists on the black list.
                        "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

                        Comment


                        • Re: Franklin Leonard

                          Originally posted by catcon View Post


                          I'm always blaming my poverty for not taking advantage of these paid script posting sites, but this is my biggest reason for not partaking. Aside from the usual going-wide blitzkriegs from reps, it is indeed possible that posting scripts (or even coverage eg. SpecScout?) on such sites can essentially blacklist you among an unpleasant proportion of producers (and reps, if you care).

                          But listen up: I regularly do pitch blasts for scripts that have been polished significantly (shorter script, new log, fresh query). Aside from the occasional new read, I have also had repeat reads from people who'd seen earlier drafts 3-5 years ago. Maybe it puts me on some other sort of blacklist, as a result, but this keeps happening. There are lots and lots of prospective buyers out there, and since financial capability, interests, public mood changes so much and so often, you should never give up on your work (even if Bono disagrees ).

                          Anyway, I won't go on about it.

                          Have you tried VPF? They have a number of prodcos who list "big" or "high budget" or "blockbuster" interests (which you will have to match against their company background, which of course you will research first). Wait till there's a big sale on (which happens every 2nd day, it seems, on VPF) and get yourself a bundle, say 13 for $90, and then use them very judiciously, for companies that you know (like Alcon*) might be able to afford things such as your epic.

                          * Alcon; yes, I have their email addresses, but I've only ever gotten "we don't take unsolicited" on my pitches there, over the years. Gave up at least 4 years ago. As a result, I did hit them up on VPF. The guy there annoys me with his "It just didn't grab us" responses, but given their stature I'd still try them on VPF (since I'm unrepped) - but only when I have the cash. I assume you have a more normal financial situation than I do, that's all.

                          And g'luck! Go and convince them that your spec is the source IP that's gonna break big, and generate endless sequels and TV series!

                          VPF pros and needs
                          i guess, i just feel that if i can secure the email myself, why pay VPF $10 a pop to post my query? i'd rather send the email, if i get a response fine, if not, okay. maybe i'll take a look at it. kind of ambiguous about it.
                          "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

                          Comment


                          • Re: Franklin Leonard

                            Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                            it's entirely possible that Tinder Sweet 16 will attract a rom-com rep and Tracker/Wasteland (and others) will attract action thriller reps. typically, from what i've gathered from the good folks here, is that reps rarely cross these genres.

                            if i can get on the top lists for the rom-com, i'd definitely want to sell it even as a one off. to query, it does help to be on the current top lists on the black list.
                            Hmm. Idk.

                            Truthfully, I've kinda been all over the place with my new rep (my fault, just how my brain works). But, he seems fairly down with me trying different sh!t if the idea is good.

                            Imagine: I came to him first off with an EPIC sci-fi (feature), you read those pages. Then we dusted off a political drama TV show that I'd previously developed with a Rudin-type. Then a horror (feature). He straight out told me, with this type of horror (brutal, ugly, not cartoonish) we're gonna get people who feel we're trying to make the world a worse place. It'll definitely be tough. Cool, thanks for taking that risk with me, I wanna try. He was right, everyone hated it, I still like it (let me direct it and you'll see that it's cool... very stylized). Now, we're out with a drama TV show based on... WHO DOES THIS?... my own life.

                            That's, what, 4 different genres?

                            Just say'n... not sure you need to worry about different genres under the same rep.

                            But, absolutely, if people dig this new drama. Yup, I'm now the drama guy. Let's run with that. I'll stay in that lane.

                            Idk... this business is nutty. No telling what will WORK.
                            Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

                            Comment


                            • Re: Franklin Leonard

                              Originally posted by tinlizzie View Post
                              You do know that you can contest a review if it's truly questionable and they'll take it down and give you another free. There has to be mistakes in the review that indicate the reader may not have done the best job but they don't have to be huge mistakes. I had one review that came in lower but the summary and comments were clearly based on perfunctory reading even though the only concrete mistake was getting the main character's name slightly wrong. They removed it as soon as I complained. It sounds like your 5 would have qualified as well.
                              I'd heard about a few of those cases and the thought certainly crossed my mind when I first read the 5. But ultimately, I threw this script up there to test the BL and see if they could breathe some life into a dead project that I love dearly. Coincidentally (maybe just putting the energy out into the world), I was able to breathe life into it by other means. So ultimately, mission accomplished. I'm still a little tempted to contest the 5 but I know that's just for my ego's sake ha. So I'll probably just let it be.

                              Thank you for pointing this out though!

                              Comment


                              • Re: Franklin Leonard

                                Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                                i guess, i just feel that if i can secure the email myself, why pay VPF $10 a pop to post my query? i'd rather send the email, if i get a response fine, if not, okay. maybe i'll take a look at it. kind of ambiguous about it.
                                Well, as I am the WCG (World's Cheapest Guy), I'm with you on that.

                                I have lots of email addresses for VPF contacts, and they take my direct email pitches even though they're on VPF. But some (Alcon among them) have turned me down flat more than once, and I won't test them beyond that. But if these particular ones are on VPF, and I have something they might be interested in, well what the hell... they absolutely will get back to you, which is kind of nice, compared to the sound-of-crickets you get in most cases with direct email.

                                The following are in my 'special' status on VPF. If I had the discretionary income, I'd pitch them even there even if I do have their emails, because these have told me explicitly they are 'no unsol', or there's an ugly blurb on their website like 'We will own anything you send us', etc.:

                                ABC
                                Alcon
                                Skydance Productions
                                ABC Signature Studios
                                Flashpoint
                                Fox
                                Hollywood Gang
                                Level 1 Entertainment
                                Macari/Edelstein
                                NBC Universal
                                NEW REPUBLIC
                                Original Film
                                Wandering Jew

                                So there's a $90 package right there, if I had the cash. But I don't.

                                Meanwhile, anybody else that I want to contact, who're on VPF, I can reach either directly or via their website form, or even InkTip leads that some of them have advertised.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X