• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday
    replied
    Re: Franklin Leonard

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
    I don't think I've ever said anything really negative about the Blacklist -- I'm all for free market economies and due diligence and all that good stuff, but

their TECH DEPT. sucks. They either need to fire everybody or maybe go buy a used algorithm from Netflix or something.

When I am (pretending I'm a producer) looking at a horror script with a 7.5 rating, and I click on one of the 'Similar Script' titles in the upper left hand corner, and I get a comedy with a 3 average, it causes me to lose faith in the credibility of your brand.

Likewise, the search function is not as useful as it should be (perhaps on purpose -- Like everything else on the site, it's transparently ambiguous).

When you search through the 3400 currently hosted scripts on the website, you can narrow the field by 'Most Rated' and 'Most Popular'.

My script is currently in the top 30 Most Rated, which SOUNDS great...

except that it's 10 spots lower than a script where the author has purchased 31 paid reviews, only to wind up with a combined average of 1.8 (not making that up... I would say it must be a prank/joke, but he's already spent over $2400).

What would be much more useful to everyone, would be the ability to narrow the search field by HIGHEST RATED scripts, which is obviously the most useful metric.

But to do that would take away from the allure of the monthly and quarterly top lists, which are not free to get on.

That fact that the BL refuses to let people search the highest rated scripts on the website is what leads to the frequent pay-to-play accusations.

I still like the site, but boy is it hard to defend sometimes.

I would like to see how many downloads the writers who get less than 8 actually get. If no one wants to download scripts with less than 8, what's the point of hosting? Maybe, just have a separate service and charge for premium notes...and if it gets the magical recommend, then pass it up the food chain. Who is going to download a 3?

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    i'm not. wrote it to show i can handle a blockbuster.

i'm trying to drop the budget and adapt to a pilot, as you saw.

i'm planning on writing the first novel, book proposal really, which was recommended (that or GN) by the few indy pros that read it.

was thinking about sending it to Heroes and Villains since they like to create their own IPs. what could it hurt? i like Markus-- listened to his podcast.
    Cool. Same. That's why I wrote the epic sci-fi... to prove I could handle epic blockbuster world building/fresh HUGE set pieces. Truth is, while I did get some "fukkin awesome script!- responses most didn't care, too expensive for even a sample. Swear to god... I think it hurts you, I think they think you are delusional enough to believe it'll actually get MADE. I knew from word one it was never getting made, but you can't explain that if you can't get a meeting.

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

i hope i find a rep like that. i think some of those genres are pretty close to each other-- not sure the leap from dark thriller to rom-com will appeal to the same group. it'd be fantastic to find someone who is willing to open up all opportunities.

nice title.
    Yeah, I think if you're paying attention you can see that ALL of my stuff has a similar through line (Glam vs Grit). All of those stories have that thematic element/engine, so, to me, it's not a stretch. Also, all of it is dark.

Rom/Com may be tougher, but I bet there's a through line you could point out to say "see... this is still in my wheelhouse, it really ain't that different (thematically) from the epic sci-fi.-

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
    POINT: I wouldn't super hold onto your dream of your EPIC getting made. Why am I told "We fukking loved it! But, we can't offer you a job." Huh? Again, then why am I sitting here? I could be at the beach not wasting my time.

i'm not. wrote it to show i can handle a blockbuster.

i'm trying to drop the budget and adapt to a pilot, as you saw.

i'm planning on writing the first novel, book proposal really, which was recommended (that or GN) by the few indy pros that read it.

was thinking about sending it to Heroes and Villains since they like to create their own IPs. what could it hurt? i like Markus-- listened to his podcast.

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

Hmm. Idk.

Truthfully, I've kinda been all over the place with my new rep (my fault, just how my brain works). But, he seems fairly down with me trying different sh!t if the idea is good.

Imagine: I came to him first off with an EPIC sci-fi (feature), you read those pages. Then we dusted off a political drama TV show that I'd previously developed with a Rudin-type. Then a horror (feature). He straight out told me, with this type of horror (brutal, ugly, not cartoonish) we're gonna get people who feel we're trying to make the world a worse place. It'll definitely be tough. Cool, thanks for taking that risk with me, I wanna try. He was right, everyone hated it, I still like it (let me direct it and you'll see that it's cool... very stylized). Now, we're out with a drama TV show based on... WHO DOES THIS?... my own life.

That's, what, 4 different genres?

Just say'n... not sure you need to worry about different genres under the same rep.

But, absolutely, if people dig this new drama. Yup, I'm now the drama guy. Let's run with that. I'll stay in that lane.

Idk... this business is nutty. No telling what will WORK.
    i hope i find a rep like that. i think some of those genres are pretty close to each other-- not sure the leap from dark thriller to rom-com will appeal to the same group. it'd be fantastic to find someone who is willing to open up all opportunities.

nice title.

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

What is VPF? I honestly have no clue. Never heard of it.

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

Ha! Is that what someone actually said? That's even worse than saying nothing at all.

I mean, you CAN do a search for 'Reader Endorsed' scripts. That means the script has received at least 2 scores of 8 or higher. So any Indy Pros searching for the 'Best' scripts could do that.

Right now there are 90 scripts hosted (out of 3400) that fit that criteria.

If you do a search for 'Most Popular + Reader Endorsed' my script is #26.

You know who searches that way? NO ONE (I've never had a download when I wasn't on a Toplist).
    yes, they actually said that. but, i get it, i fully understand, because let's say someone pays for two evals and the get a 7 and they get an 8 the eight gets the attention. so what if that same person pays for ONE eval and the first one is a 7, they are unfairly knocked out of consideration. the next three evals they get could all be 8s, but they stop because they didn't get an 8 first out.

i haven't been on the top lists for a while, but i still get the occasional downloads. maybe two or so a month. not that it has mattered yet. Wasteland gets them, too, less often though.

i'm grandfathered in at $25 for these two specs. i suspect that when i ante up for Tinder it will go up to $30.

Leave a comment:

• catcon
    replied

i guess, i just feel that if i can secure the email myself, why pay VPF $10 a pop to post my query? i'd rather send the email, if i get a response fine, if not, okay. maybe i'll take a look at it. kind of ambiguous about it.
    Well, as I am the WCG (World's Cheapest Guy), I'm with you on that.

I have lots of email addresses for VPF contacts, and they take my direct email pitches even though they're on VPF. But some (Alcon among them) have turned me down flat more than once, and I won't test them beyond that. But if these particular ones are on VPF, and I have something they might be interested in, well what the hell... they absolutely will get back to you, which is kind of nice, compared to the sound-of-crickets you get in most cases with direct email.

The following are in my 'special' status on VPF. If I had the discretionary income, I'd pitch them even there even if I do have their emails, because these have told me explicitly they are 'no unsol', or there's an ugly blurb on their website like 'We will own anything you send us', etc.:

ABC
    Alcon
    Skydance Productions
    ABC Signature Studios
    Flashpoint
    Fox
    Hollywood Gang
    Level 1 Entertainment
    Macari/Edelstein
    NBC Universal
    NEW REPUBLIC
    Original Film
    Wandering Jew

So there's a $90 package right there, if I had the cash. But I don't.

Meanwhile, anybody else that I want to contact, who're on VPF, I can reach either directly or via their website form, or even InkTip leads that some of them have advertised.

Leave a comment:

• DLev24
    replied

Originally posted by tinlizzie View Post
    You do know that you can contest a review if it's truly questionable and they'll take it down and give you another free. There has to be mistakes in the review that indicate the reader may not have done the best job but they don't have to be huge mistakes. I had one review that came in lower but the summary and comments were clearly based on perfunctory reading even though the only concrete mistake was getting the main character's name slightly wrong. They removed it as soon as I complained. It sounds like your 5 would have qualified as well.
    I'd heard about a few of those cases and the thought certainly crossed my mind when I first read the 5. But ultimately, I threw this script up there to test the BL and see if they could breathe some life into a dead project that I love dearly. Coincidentally (maybe just putting the energy out into the world), I was able to breathe life into it by other means. So ultimately, mission accomplished. I'm still a little tempted to contest the 5 but I know that's just for my ego's sake ha. So I'll probably just let it be.

Thank you for pointing this out though!

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

it's entirely possible that Tinder Sweet 16 will attract a rom-com rep and Tracker/Wasteland (and others) will attract action thriller reps. typically, from what i've gathered from the good folks here, is that reps rarely cross these genres.

if i can get on the top lists for the rom-com, i'd definitely want to sell it even as a one off. to query, it does help to be on the current top lists on the black list.
    Hmm. Idk.

Truthfully, I've kinda been all over the place with my new rep (my fault, just how my brain works). But, he seems fairly down with me trying different sh!t if the idea is good.

Imagine: I came to him first off with an EPIC sci-fi (feature), you read those pages. Then we dusted off a political drama TV show that I'd previously developed with a Rudin-type. Then a horror (feature). He straight out told me, with this type of horror (brutal, ugly, not cartoonish) we're gonna get people who feel we're trying to make the world a worse place. It'll definitely be tough. Cool, thanks for taking that risk with me, I wanna try. He was right, everyone hated it, I still like it (let me direct it and you'll see that it's cool... very stylized). Now, we're out with a drama TV show based on... WHO DOES THIS?... my own life.

That's, what, 4 different genres?

Just say'n... not sure you need to worry about different genres under the same rep.

But, absolutely, if people dig this new drama. Yup, I'm now the drama guy. Let's run with that. I'll stay in that lane.

Idk... this business is nutty. No telling what will WORK.

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

Originally posted by catcon View Post

I'm always blaming my poverty for not taking advantage of these paid script posting sites, but this is my biggest reason for not partaking. Aside from the usual going-wide blitzkriegs from reps, it is indeed possible that posting scripts (or even coverage eg. SpecScout?) on such sites can essentially blacklist you among an unpleasant proportion of producers (and reps, if you care).

But listen up: I regularly do pitch blasts for scripts that have been polished significantly (shorter script, new log, fresh query). Aside from the occasional new read, I have also had repeat reads from people who'd seen earlier drafts 3-5 years ago. Maybe it puts me on some other sort of blacklist, as a result, but this keeps happening. There are lots and lots of prospective buyers out there, and since financial capability, interests, public mood changes so much and so often, you should never give up on your work (even if Bono disagrees ).

Anyway, I won't go on about it.

Have you tried VPF? They have a number of prodcos who list "big" or "high budget" or "blockbuster" interests (which you will have to match against their company background, which of course you will research first). Wait till there's a big sale on (which happens every 2nd day, it seems, on VPF) and get yourself a bundle, say 13 for $90, and then use them very judiciously, for companies that you know (like Alcon*) might be able to afford things such as your epic.

* Alcon; yes, I have their email addresses, but I've only ever gotten "we don't take unsolicited" on my pitches there, over the years. Gave up at least 4 years ago. As a result, I did hit them up on VPF. The guy there annoys me with his "It just didn't grab us" responses, but given their stature I'd still try them on VPF (since I'm unrepped) - but only when I have the cash. I assume you have a more normal financial situation than I do, that's all.

And g'luck! Go and convince them that your spec is the source IP that's gonna break big, and generate endless sequels and TV series!

VPF pros and needs
    i guess, i just feel that if i can secure the email myself, why pay VPF $10 a pop to post my query? i'd rather send the email, if i get a response fine, if not, okay. maybe i'll take a look at it. kind of ambiguous about it.

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

Hmmmm.... I don't totally get how BL works, but if (WHEN!) you get repped up again, why bother with BL? Or did I read you wrong?
    it's entirely possible that Tinder Sweet 16 will attract a rom-com rep and Tracker/Wasteland (and others) will attract action thriller reps. typically, from what i've gathered from the good folks here, is that reps rarely cross these genres.

if i can get on the top lists for the rom-com, i'd definitely want to sell it even as a one off. to query, it does help to be on the current top lists on the black list.

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

IDK... I met with some fancy spots (think superhero) off my $90 mil sci-fi (realistically you could do it for $40 mil), but the conversation went like...

ME: Got any OWAs?

THEM: Nope, we're all looking for IP just like you.

ME: Okay, then I guess we'll talk about the weather. (Not really, but basically. The discussion was definitely not movies.)

IN MY MIND: "Why the fukk am I here?"

POINT: I wouldn't super hold onto your dream of your EPIC getting made. Why am I told "We fukking loved it! But, we can't offer you a job." Huh? Again, then why am I sitting here? I could be at the beach not wasting my time.

Leave a comment:

• kintnerboy
    replied

Originally posted by Strangerthanfiction View Post
    The $30 a month charge is not a rumor. It's clearly stated on the Blacklist website.

"Non-guild members must host at least one screenplay or pilot ($30/script/month) in order for their membership to be active.

Hmmm. Not sure what to make of this. I pay $25 a month.

Maybe they've recently changed and any scripts uploaded AFTER 2018 are 30, and everything before is grandfathered?? Who knows...

Leave a comment:

• catcon
    replied

...You know who searches that way? NO ONE (I've never had a download when I wasn't on a Toplist).
    I'd expect you're right. Even over on freemeister CJ Walley's ScriptRevolution, he has an amazing number of search criteria that you can plug in, but that's really only of use or interest to programming guys such as him (and me, also my background in database). Very cool, but how much is it ever utilized?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X