• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LauriD
    replied
    Re: Franklin Leonard

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
    Wait... WHAT? How the frick do you not have an agent/manager?
    Lots of scripts do well on the Black List without any tangible results for the writers.

A high rating or ranking isn't a guarantee of anything.

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    ...right now Tracker is the #9 most popular script on the black list.
    Wait... WHAT? How the frick do you not have an agent/manager?

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

Originally posted by tinlizzie View Post
    You do know that you can contest a review if it's truly questionable and they'll take it down and give you another free. There has to be mistakes in the review that indicate the reader may not have done the best job but they don't have to be huge mistakes. I had one review that came in lower but the summary and comments were clearly based on perfunctory reading even though the only concrete mistake was getting the main character's name slightly wrong. They removed it as soon as I complained. It sounds like your 5 would have qualified as well.
    100%.

i did that. they got the character's name wrong as well as some other information. they will review the eval and determine whether it's justified. i will say that TBL is very accommodating to writer's issues.

their top list wasn't calculating correctly and being a serious numbers analytical ****ing geek that i am, i pushed hard, "no, there is no way it can just disappear in one day. got the programmers involved and everything. right now Tracker is the #9 most popular script on the black list.

also, if there's a two point spread, they used to give you a free eval. the squeaky wheel phrase is phrase for a reason, feel me?

you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain when you push back on something you believe is wrong.

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

Gotcha...

I'm kinda doing the same thing. I'm repped now (manager/lawyer... agentless) but I got repped off my 90 mil sci-fi then flipped the script (literally) and wrote a TV show based on... gulp... my own life. Autobiographical. This is a *never do that* scenario, but I've lived a crazy fukkin life AND there's a social relevance aspect. My writer/director buddy pushed me into writing it. If it doesn't sell he's getting his ass kicked. LOL

Thanks for sharing your situation! Best of luck!
    thanks. and that's what i'm doing. taking a solid feature spec and adapting a pilot. to be fair, Wasteland, the feature, was only sent to like MAYBE five people. i'll be querying that one next, then Tinder Sweet 16. (seo boost )

typically i write dark action thrillers. that's my wheelhouse.

by then i should have the pilot of Wasteland. received some great feedback on TBL on how to make it more marketable. the concept is strong. the biggest problem is the budget-- literally every scene is ground-up world building, so have to rework the POVs to bring that down.

was thinking the "guys" at Game of Thrones might need some work. jk. haha.

good luck to you, as well.

Leave a comment:

• DDoc
    replied

I have two scripts on there with 3 reviews a piece- two 6's and a 7. I doubt I'll buy any more evals but I'll keep hosting until they get booted off the top list (I guess a 6 and a 7 will put it there). I've gotten a few industry downloads but no responses yet. I suppose it doesn't hurt to keep them up until the downloads stop. It's a pretty expensive site though and I think the reviewers favor themes and social commentary over commercial potential (assuming the work is of high quality to begin with).

Leave a comment:

• tinlizzie
    replied

Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
    At a 6 and a 5. The written review for the 6 seemed more positive than the score would indicate, so whatever. That reader is just harsh with their numbers, that's fine. The 5 was just a bad review. Got the page count wrong. Listed stuff as strengths (characters, mainly) and then literally named those same characters as weaknesses. It was just pretty contradictory and all over the place. I will say that those two reviews did sink the script on the site. I went from getting a bunch of industry downloads a day to pretty much zero views.
    You do know that you can contest a review if it's truly questionable and they'll take it down and give you another free. There has to be mistakes in the review that indicate the reader may not have done the best job but they don't have to be huge mistakes. I had one review that came in lower but the summary and comments were clearly based on perfunctory reading even though the only concrete mistake was getting the main character's name slightly wrong. They removed it as soon as I complained. It sounds like your 5 would have qualified as well.

Leave a comment:

• Friday
    replied

HA! Funny bruh!

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

in 2016 i had a manager. personal life got in the way. manager decides he's producing only. work, weekly travel, and adorable kid took time from writing for two years. writing now full time. have new spec to be out in a month, i think. not the same genre. have a few projects i want to complete this year.

manager got me a killer lawyer, just hoping he still my lawyer. won't contact him till i have a new contract, so that would be forever and a day.

looking for a manager now. it sucks because at one time i had options for two specs (one being the $100 mil) and now crickets. granted, this is "holiday" time for the industry. it's like, it's gonna happen! then it doesn't. sucks.

i never would have written the Tinder Sweet 16 rom-com as it's outside my brand but i couldn't not write it. i loved the concept too much and i hate most rom-coms. ugh.

working on getting in the game-- 'cuz i was close, but not close enough.
    Gotcha...

I'm kinda doing the same thing. I'm repped now (manager/lawyer... agentless) but I got repped off my 90 mil sci-fi then flipped the script (literally) and wrote a TV show based on... gulp... my own life. Autobiographical. This is a *never do that* scenario, but I've lived a crazy fukkin life AND there's a social relevance aspect. My writer/director buddy pushed me into writing it. If it doesn't sell he's getting his ass kicked. LOL

Thanks for sharing your situation! Best of luck!

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

Originally posted by Friday View Post
    Each script is carefully calibrated and measured in a distraction free environment, where all factors like voice, premise and characters are scientifically evaluated so that it's a fair process.

Just kidding.
    HA! Funny bruh!

Leave a comment:

• Friday
    replied

I think you're probably spot on. Had I not opted for the second set of free evals, I assume I'd still be getting eyes on the script, so if you get a few 8s it's probably best to not risk falling out of that "trending scripts" category. Though I don't know how long you stay trending if you stop getting evals.

I kind of like your recommend system idea. That probably makes the most sense and would also be the most analogous to how the business runs.

It's kind of like gambling. Yeah, you might be able to get 5 straight 8's....but the risk of getting that 6 that takes some bloom off that rose is high. As writers, all we care about is getting the script into the right hands and exposure. We don't care about getting consensus from a half dozen readers, who might be under pressure to read a ton of scripts while working on their own. Plus, certain material is polarizing. Tarantino's manager used to get hate from producers telling her why would she send her this "fi'ing piece of sh-... here's your f'ing piece of back. f' you." The guys who wrote While you were sleeping were told it was creepy. And a ton of people passed on Back to the future.

Leave a comment:

• Friday
    replied

you can for a bit, but once you pass the three month mark, you can't get on the annual list until you have 4 reviews. now, they can be industry reviews, they count, too, but you don't get many.

it doesn't sink you enough to hurt. even if you have two 8s and a 6, or even a 6-7-8, you'll still be above the comm average. and if you get like a 4, you should be able to get it thrown. i don't like the recommend system, personally. it's not as good an indicator, imo, it's a hard line.

look, i'm lucky i got high scores on both specs the first two times out. the reviews are great. but i've gotten lower, too-- it's subjective. both my options found me on The Black List.

i like it for what it is, and will, until i don't. haha.

and remember, and indy pro can read your spec and give you a 5 or an 8, it's just as subjective.

Cool. Nice to take a peek into the process. I don't think I can get five straight 8's without someone throwing a monkeywrench 6 in there, hence I'd thought of the recommend system.

Leave a comment:

• Friday
    replied

Exactly that. This industry is 1,000,000% subjective. I don't get why anyone tries to pretend this sh!t is OBJECTIVE. Dude... (whomever) it clearly ain't. Period. No offense. Yet notes are given as if this is objective. Bro... then WHY are the notes contradictory from within your SAME shop. Feel me? Shouldn't these notes at the very least... MATCH? Did you guys not discuss them? Honestly, the fukk I'ma do with this jumbled mess of notes? Weirdos.

(I'll admit something else, because I honestly am DONE with being fake. Played the fake-ass game for 20 years. If my words here cost me a career WHO GIVES A FUKK! I'll do something else.)

As for subjectiveness:

My ex sold a film back in the day (please don't mention her name so I don't get hate mail, I don't need the drama). Guess how many buyers were interested? Answer: 1. That's it. Only one. Everyone else passed. EVERYONE! WHATT???

What film was it... Answer: DEVIL WEARS PRADA. Guess what happened next. It was a gigantic hit. The truth is, the entire town then said "Why didn't we get to see this project?" Bruh, the 100% truth is... you DID see it and you passed. Quit acting fukkin stupid. You're transparent as fukk. Then guess what happened after it was a hit. Yup, exactly! Everyone asked for "The next Devil Wears Prada." Bro... no!... you had your chance with the REAL one. You passed. Remember?

That's how this town works. Buncha pu$$ies. I don't get why these people don't know what they want (save for a few fukking excellent folks). Have a friggin opinion or you're gonna lose valuable properties. It was the exact same with GONE GIRL. Everyone passed except for 1 shop. Seriously... WTF!?

I'm seconds away from being blackballed... but I don't give a sh!t. I'm done lying and covering up for people's stupidity.

I say this sh!t to try to help US WRITERS navigate this utterly dysfunctional industry. Maybe my words help, maybe not.

Each script is carefully calibrated and measured in a distraction free environment, where all factors like voice, premise and characters are scientifically evaluated so that it's a fair process.

Just kidding.

Leave a comment:

• GucciGhostXXX
    replied

I had a similar experience on the site. I threw an old script that was pretty dead up there just to see how it all worked. I paid for one evaluation and received an 8, which led to them offering me two free evals. Great! The next two come in at a 7 and an 8, which leads to two more free evals. Great! The next two come in...

At a 6 and a 5. The written review for the 6 seemed more positive than the score would indicate, so whatever. That reader is just harsh with their numbers, that's fine. The 5 was just a bad review. Got the page count wrong. Listed stuff as strengths (characters, mainly) and then literally named those same characters as weaknesses. It was just pretty contradictory and all over the place. I will say that those two reviews did sink the script on the site. I went from getting a bunch of industry downloads a day to pretty much zero views.

And to your larger point about the site not being the be all end all... while I was waiting for the first eval to come back, I pitched the script in a general. The exec read it after and now it's out to directors. This whole screenwriting thing is so damn subjective. In that way, I think the Black List site is a fairly accurate reflection of the industry. Not everyone is going to champion your script. It's all about finding the people who will.
    Exactly that. This industry is 1,000,000% subjective. I don't get why anyone tries to pretend this sh!t is OBJECTIVE. Dude... (whomever) it clearly ain't. Period. No offense. Yet notes are given as if this is objective. Bro... then WHY are the notes contradictory from within your SAME shop. Feel me? Shouldn't these notes at the very least... MATCH? Did you guys not discuss them? Honestly, the fukk I'ma do with this jumbled mess of notes? Weirdos.

(I'll admit something else, because I honestly am DONE with being fake. Played the fake-ass game for 20 years. If my words here cost me a career WHO GIVES A FUKK! I'll do something else.)

As for subjectiveness:

My ex sold a film back in the day (please don't mention her name so I don't get hate mail, I don't need the drama). Guess how many buyers were interested? Answer: 1. That's it. Only one. Everyone else passed. EVERYONE! WHATT???

What film was it... Answer: DEVIL WEARS PRADA. Guess what happened next. It was a gigantic hit. The truth is, the entire town then said "Why didn't we get to see this project?" Bruh, the 100% truth is... you DID see it and you passed. Quit acting fukkin stupid. You're transparent as fukk. Then guess what happened after it was a hit. Yup, exactly! Everyone asked for "The next Devil Wears Prada." Bro... no!... you had your chance with the REAL one. You passed. Remember?

That's how this town works. Buncha pu$$ies. I don't get why these people don't know what they want (save for a few fukking excellent folks). Have a friggin opinion or you're gonna lose valuable properties. It was the exact same with GONE GIRL. Everyone passed except for 1 shop. Seriously... WTF!?

I'm seconds away from being blackballed... but I don't give a sh!t. I'm done lying and covering up for people's stupidity.

I say this sh!t to try to help US WRITERS navigate this utterly dysfunctional industry. Maybe my words help, maybe not.
    Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 07-20-2019, 03:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

So if you get a couple of 8's, do you just stand pat? Why risk anything lower than that? The next one could be a 9, but it could also be a 6 that sinks everything. I'd prefer a recommend system. If the readers find something super special, they just recommend it and pass it along to their contacts. If they want to monetize it, just have a special upcharge for those who want a more expensive notes/coverage and those who do well get sent up.
    you can for a bit, but once you pass the three month mark, you can't get on the annual list until you have 4 reviews. now, they can be industry reviews, they count, too, but you don't get many.

it doesn't sink you enough to hurt. even if you have two 8s and a 6, or even a 6-7-8, you'll still be above the comm average. and if you get like a 4, you should be able to get it thrown. i don't like the recommend system, personally. it's not as good an indicator, imo, it's a hard line.

look, i'm lucky i got high scores on both specs the first two times out. the reviews are great. but i've gotten lower, too-- it's subjective. both my options found me on The Black List.

i like it for what it is, and will, until i don't. haha.

and remember, and indy pro can read your spec and give you a 5 or an 8, it's just as subjective.

Leave a comment:

• DLev24
    replied

So if you get a couple of 8's, do you just stand pat? Why risk anything lower than that? The next one could be a 9, but it could also be a 6 that sinks everything. I'd prefer a recommend system. If the readers find something super special, they just recommend it and pass it along to their contacts. If they want to monetize it, just have a special upcharge for those who want a more expensive notes/coverage and those who do well get sent up.
    I think you're probably spot on. Had I not opted for the second set of free evals, I assume I'd still be getting eyes on the script, so if you get a few 8s it's probably best to not risk falling out of that "trending scripts" category. Though I don't know how long you stay trending if you stop getting evals.

I kind of like your recommend system idea. That probably makes the most sense and would also be the most analogous to how the business runs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X