• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• docgonzo
    replied
    Re: Franklin Leonard

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    I think most people starting out get repped via query... maybe when you "make it" you can get passed around by someone you know in the industry... but first you have to be in the industry, hence query....
    I would argue that's not the case. I don't know anyone who has gotten a rep from a query. Yes, it happens but I don't think most get theirs this way. It's usually a referral from working in the industry in some other capacity (assistant, on set, etc.), or getting into one of the TV fellowships, or winnng/placing high in a significant contest (Nicholl, Austin, both Tracking comps). But if I were to guess, it's referral that gets most writers their first rep.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

I think most people starting out get repped via query... maybe when you "make it" you can get passed around by someone you know in the industry... but first you have to be in the industry, hence query....

Leave a comment:

• cvolante
    replied

(It's so interesting you guys - someone, anyway - are pushing the poster to stop being lazy and send queries when most people on another thing I was reading -- probably Twitter -- agree that no one really sends queries. My opinion, they work sometimes so you might as well send some targeted ones, but for the most part, it's got to come from the contacts you know or you can meet.)

Leave a comment:

• ScreenRider
    replied

Originally posted by JaGra View Post
    If your script is good enough to receive an 8,9,or 10, chances are your script is good enough to get reads from free queries.

Stop being lazy and send out those queries.

I do send out email queries and get read. No reason not try other methods and it's not like queries are free when you consider how much time and work it takes to get a single request.

Didn't get any benefits from the blacklist but that's because the scores were low. I was hoping for an 8. I've gotten an 8 in the past which led to a lot of industry downloads and two development assistants wanting to read more of my stuff. It didn't lead anywhere but nothing ever does...

Leave a comment:

• catcon
    replied

ScreenRider
    So I got back all 5 Black List evaluations for my script and it was a straight flush. Scores of 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. I think I'll take a long break before rolling that ten-sided dice again.
    Perhaps it was that BL reader who's on LinkedIn, boasting how she reads 3-5 scripts per day. As she juices up on energy drinks and power bars as the day wears on, it results in improved scores.

Leave a comment:

• JaGra
    replied

Originally posted by ScreenRider View Post
    So I got back all 5 Black List evaluations for my script and it was a straight flush. Scores of 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. I think I'll take a long break before rolling that ten-sided dice again.
    After spending all that money, how have the arbitrary numeric scores helped to move your project forward?

If your script is good enough to receive an 8,9,or 10, chances are your script is good enough to get reads from free queries.

Stop being lazy and send out those queries.

The blacklist pay site exists primary to tell industry folks NOT to read scripts.

If industry pro gets query that sounds interesting, they might look at first few pages. If they see the same script on blacklist pay site and it is rated less than 8, they'll probably skip it.

Leave a comment:

• StoryWriter
    replied

But seriously...

I like writing because I enjoy it and I enjoy irritating people.

It's not my day job.

If writing scripts was my day job, I can't imagine why I'd spend hundreds of dollars on contests and black lists, instead of just trying to sell the damn things.

How many times have you heard: "I want to be a street sweeper -- who can I pay to interview me?"

Leave a comment:

• StoryWriter
    replied

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    Here's a fun stat... 99.5%* of screenplays that become films weren't entered into one script contest.

*Yes I just made that up, I think it may be higher actually...
    Ah, but the contest winners that WERE made into movies are always* an hour and a half of talking heads, sitting around a kitchen table and pondering their navels.

Obviously the world can't get enough of that.

*always is used in loosest sense here to mean "every single f@cking time".

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

Here's a fun stat... 99.5%* of screenplays that become films weren't entered into one script contest.

*Yes I just made that up, I think it may be higher actually...

Leave a comment:

• Clint Hill
    replied

As daunting as the statistics may seem, I, for one, am thankful for all of the screenplay outlets the computer revolution has provided. Things nowadays seem better (to me) than sending stamped query letters (incurring the cost of envelopes, stamps, paper, and typewriter ribbon).

As for increased competition thanks to the ease of mass communication provided by technology, those with drive, determination, dogged persistence, talent, and luck will eventually find their place in the limelight. Cream always rises to the top.

Leave a comment:

• catcon
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    Things may be dismal, but at least you should make an attempt at being accurate.

About 5% of Nicholl entries advance to the quarterfinals each year.

For about a decade, approximately 150 scripts have reached the semifinals each year.

In 2018, 349 scripts advanced to the quarterfinals, and 151 of those scripts advanced to the semifinals.
    Ha ha, all these metrics make me dizzy!

How about one for number of submissions. I've submitted my 13th different script to Nicholl this year, in 5 tries (years: 2010, 2014-16 and 2019)! What're my chances? 0.0001%?

Leave a comment:

• DangoForth
    replied

Greg,
    How's "retirement" treating you?

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    Things may be dismal, but at least you should make an attempt at being accurate.

For about a decade, approximately 150 scripts have reached the semifinals each year.

In 2018, 349 scripts advanced to the quarterfinals, and 151 of those scripts advanced to the semifinals.
    hey Greg:
    no disrespect intended, honestly. i pulled the numbers from the internet and you're right, i did misread the post about the quarterfinalists. my apologies. mistakes do happen. surely you can understand that. it wasn't a deliberate miscalculation.

still the semifinals are just slightly above 2%.

and my comments certainly aren't a dig at the Nicholl fellowship at all, it was a comparison that it's difficult to be the best no matter which resource you use to advance your career.

so, here's the update:

entrants = 6,895 (from the https://www.oscars.org/news/academy-...creenwriters-1
    finalists = 10
    percent chance = 0.0014 or 0.14%
    semifinalists = 149
    percent chance = .0216 or 2.16%
    quarter finalists = 375
    quarter finalists = .0545 or 5.4%

my point wasn't that it's not worth trying, my point is that it's tough all around.
    FA4

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    2018 Nicholl
    i think we all agree that the semifinalists are the most important 'winners,' right? here are the results for 2018.

entrants = 6,895
    semifinalists = 10
    percent chance = 0.0014 or 0.14%
    quarter finalists = 226
    quarter finalists = 0.0327 or 3.2%

looks dismal to me. one tenth of one percent. and you can ONLY enter ONCE a year. there is an entry fee.

. . .

these are facts.

Leave a comment:

• LauriD
    replied

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    and it's no different than a respected screenwriting contest.

when i hear statements about how dismal the chances are with a for-profit screenwriting site, i'm amazed that anyone thinks entering a screenwriting competition is any different. i mean, seriously. chances of winning the Nicholl are "dismal, too."
    I agree. The odds are dismal no matter how you look at them.

I wrote a blog about that, too.

https://lauridonahue.com/tell-me-the-odds-stps-2/

The point of the disruption blog is to suggest a new model, and one less dependent on reps.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X