X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrick
    replied
    Re: Nicholl 2020

Yep, same here. I would imagine it's normal. They apparently get a massive rush on the final day(s). It looks from the outside like it may be as busy a year as ever, despite the virus situation.

As they don't send out any news for nearly 3 months, I'm just going to remain patient and not stress about it. They'll get to it when they get to it. And no way I'll make top 5% anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Dimitri001
    replied

It says in the "finished" tab of my application "Allow time for our office to process your entry, once it is processed you will see "Confirmed" under your script title under Current Applications," and it is still not confirmed. Is anyone else's submission still unconfirmed?

Leave a comment:

• Merrick
    replied

Completely bleary-eyed and feel like I could've used a few extra days.

But I submitted. I don't think I'll get to the next round, but I worked as hard as I possibly could on it. I really gave it a shot.

Good luck to all of you that entered. Thanks to all that gave information and encouragement.

BTW - I don't see where the entry number is that others have listed. EDIT - Ah I see now, it's listed as "PENDING."

I'll let you know my number when I see it confirmed.
    Last edited by Merrick; 05-01-2020, 03:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• figment
    replied

Nicholl Reader Excerpts are up.

You've got to keep scrolling down to read them, because they're mixed in with other posts.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/NichollFellowships/posts/

Kudos to whomever this comment belongs:

"... [This script] is a great read. It's one of those rare scripts where, in the matter of just a few pages, you know you're in good hands. The writing is so confident and assured..., the dialogue is sharp and engaging, and elevated by the voice of the writing surrounding it... The sort of writing you pluck from the pile of possible hires and immediately set a meeting over..."

Leave a comment:

• Merrick
    replied

Thanks figment, that's what I was understanding, but I wanted to make sure.

I would prefer to submit a day early (today), but I've been working every day on this for three months (on a script I've been writing for two years). The third act is newly rewritten as of a couple weeks ago, and I'm trying to get it up to the same quality standard as the rest.

It's getting there. I wish there were two extra days though.

I will submit it by afternoon of May 1st at the latest.

Leave a comment:

• figment
    replied

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
    It's down to the wire for me. I just want to confirm that you can submit on the actual day it says? So for May 1st, that means you can submit all the way up until midnight on May 2nd, right?

I won't submit at midnight, but I think I need some extra time in the morning or afternoon on May 1st.
    The rules say this: a late deadline entry fee of US$88 (by 11:59 p.m. PT on May 1).

So, yes, you can enter on May 1st.

imo, I wouldn't wait until the very last minute of May 1st, because that'll just stress you out more.

Leave a comment:

• Merrick
    replied

It's down to the wire for me. I just want to confirm that you can submit on the actual day it says? So for May 1st, that means you can submit all the way up until midnight on May 2nd, right?

I won't submit at midnight, but I think I need some extra time in the morning or afternoon on May 1st.

Leave a comment:

• manfredlopez
    replied

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    Used to receive about 2500-3000 scripts the final week, so if the number was at 4500 a while back, it looks as if the total will once again be around 7000.
    Thank you so much for sharing all this information. I wish other competitions were as open as yours. I recently placed in a couple of the other biggish competitions and asked them about their numbers, so I could gauge my placement. Both came back with a variation on 'trade secrets'. Only Final Draft Big Break was nice enough to tell me it was 'above 8k'.

Leave a comment:

• Merrick
    replied

Thanks for the information, greg, very helpful. I will aim to submit the day before just in case.

Leave a comment:

• gregbeal
    replied

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
    Anyone else ever submitted on the final day before? Any issues? I saw in their FAQ that it is not advisable due to high loads of traffic then.
    Back in the day, about 1000 scripts arrived on Nicholl deadline day. The warning against waiting until the last minute was a holdover from an earlier era when the application system wasn't quite as stable. Once it was, we left the warning up as entrants encountered their own problems - not being able to navigate the application, missing a "hidden" button, having various questions, not having a properly created PDF, etc. - which might not be resolved an hour before midnight. Plus, for us, having scripts entered earlier was a benefit. Even a day or two earlier was helpful.

Used to receive about 2500-3000 scripts the final week, so if the number was at 4500 a while back, it looks as if the total will once again be around 7000.

Leave a comment:

• DDoc
    replied

^Thanks, you too. Yeah I agree about paying for feedback too. I've been using Coverflyx a lot recently and in my experience the feedback is overall of the same quality as notes you pay for. I'd imagine that's because it's generally the same group of people offering the notes - amateur screenwriters.

Leave a comment:

• Merrick
    replied

Yeah it doesn't seem sensible to submit something you're not sure of. The competition sounds so fierce on these kind of things that the likelihood of placing on an early or unfinished draft sounds very low.

Good luck on your other submissions!

I won't be paying for the feedback, as you can get that from any number of freelance script consultants.

Leave a comment:

• DDoc
    replied

I submitted two already and was trying to get the third ready but I don't think that's gonna happen. Still too much work to do and I don't want to pay almost 90 bucks for something that'll probably be a lot different soon.

Anyway, good luck to everyone else. I submitted one last year and placed squat, though the comments were nice (not worth what they cost, though). Just a few paragraphs of what they liked and maybe a sentence about what they didn't like.

Leave a comment:

• Merrick
    replied

Five days left to submit, and I'm smashing my head against the keys trying to perfect my third act, argh!

Anyone else ever submitted on the final day before? Any issues? I saw in their FAQ that it is not advisable due to high loads of traffic then.

Leave a comment:

• Merrick
    replied

Dalt, thanks for the rundown! catcon, understand what you meant.

Working as fast as I can here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X