No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2020

Originally posted by Hernan Giaggio View Post
    I bet Alisa Brophy and Scott Miles are glad they didn't take this advice.

Both my managers I got through getting Nicholl SF and them reaching out to me, not querying. Not to say querying can't work, it's just not how my placements have served me. Nicholl sending my logline out to their rolodex is worth my 25 bucks every time.
    I don't know those 2 writers, but have I assumed it worked for a few writers over the years -- just not most.

I'm saying that's great! You got managers through doing well in Nicholl and I assumed you would be working with them on fixing up Nicholl script to send out or a new one that is more marketable?

I'm confused becuase you already got Nicholl to help you out. Unless you left those managers and looking for new ones.

But if you have managers from this contest or any other -- then to me you've made it into the game of thrones and why go backwards? That's how I feel.

Comment

I'd be interested in reading a script that didn't make the cut when the writer thought it would.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
        I'd be interested in reading a script that didn't make the cut when the writer thought it would.
        I thought I'd advance, but silly me I was delusional. I've had a fair amount of success with screenwriting competitions, placing highly and even winning, but in all the years I've entered Nicholl, not only haven't I placed, but a top 20% placement has been impossible as well. I've only ever had one PS note about a positive read that wasn't high enough to garner a third. Seems a bit bizarre to be honest. I think it'll make for an interesting story one day.
        This year I entered my Marvin Gaye biopic - which is legal as long as it wasn't adapted from a single source. This script is the product of reading four different biographies as well as watching all the video I could find about the man. I'll attach the first act of the screenplay here along with a disclaimer: it's the slowest part of the story. Maybe that's what did me in, or maybe it's just my Nicholl jinx :/

https://www.sendspace.com/file/o1ixbw
        FADE IN:
        PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
        NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

I wrote a movie in vein of Little Miss Sunshine in like 2007 aimed to do well at Nicholl and it got Top 10%. Previous work that got be repped, nothing as it was more mainstream.

So keep that in mind. Nicholl for sure looks for a certain type of movie -- the more Oscar like movies. It's just the way it is.

Comment

I gotta think that 90% of the scripts are a mess. I also would think if you entered a script that showed some command of character, plot, and setting that when a reader came across said script it would be a breath of fresh air to read. I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
              I’d be interested in reading a script that didn’t make the cut when the writer thought it would.
              Every writer who submitted their script believed it would advance. Why would anyone enter otherwise? For feedback? No, somewhere inside they thought it was good enough.

And there's nothing wrong with that. It's actually that drive-- that need to succeed that keeps a writer striving for new heights.

I thought I'd advance, but silly me I was delusional.
              Jai~ you weren't delusional and it doesn't mean you were wrong. It means that it didn't connect with the specific people that read it. If you think it can be better, fix it. If you think it's a good as it's gonna get, mourn for it appropriately, let it go and move on.

THIS will make every writer that got rejected by Nicholl feel better

https://twitter.com/angelabourassa1/...06771210579969

She just signed with UTA, got her dream team and has prodcos after her script, the very same script that just got REJECTED by Nicholl.

It's an opinion. One opinion. Don't let it drag you down.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                Jai~ you weren't delusional and it doesn't mean you were wrong. It means that it didn't connect with the specific people that read it. If you think it can be better, fix it. If you think it's a good as it's gonna get, mourn for it appropriately, let it go and move on.
                Thanks, finalact. I called myself delusional because I've never advanced or even made top 20% in the Nicholl, so why did I think this time would be different?

In all seriousness, I recognize it for what it is. I also acknowledge I did myself no favors with the robust page count, though it's all earned in my opinion and moves very fast. Had a couple producers reach out to me for an introduction after it scored an 8 on The Black List so that was cool. I made a couple new fans. But yes, my stories just aren't right for the Nicholl and that's okay I guess.
                FADE IN:
                PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

She was a finalist in Austin. Maybe different contests have different tastes. Plus, she got it in the hands of the Live Read guy.

Comment

Struck out, but I tried. Congrats all that advanced. And congrats to those of you that didn't - you still tried. That's a big deal anyway.

Comment

How I've felt about this contest for 15 years -- it's just like the Oscars. Some of my favorite filmmakers of all time never even got nominated. Some of our favorite movies. It's a very specific type of film they like from what I've noticed and that's fine. It's still great to do well in it and I'm happy for all the writers who did.

But you don't need to do well in this contest (or any contest) to be a successful writer or filmmaker. Full stop.

Most of the writers you look up to, probbaly didn't even enter half these contests. Some of them were not even around back then.

So -- keep on writing. Contests should be used to have goals and deadlines and any career success you get out of it -- great. But just finishing a script and getting it submitted on time is what is important.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                        She was a finalist in Austin. Maybe different contests have different tastes. Plus, she got it in the hands of the Live Read guy.
                        Right. Absolutely. Different contests have different tastes.

What matters, is that others in the business of buying and selling recognized her talent.

Steven Canals' POSE script didn't make it past the quarters at Austin, and I think like a year later it was getting made. It's now in its 3rd season. The story is something like that. I listened to him speak at Austin last year. He's very charming and very well spoken. He was one of my favorite speakers. He was also on a panel where they tried to break a pilot in an hour... guess what? They couldn't even get the first act established. Haha, it was great to watch, let alone agree on the main characters. ☺

Just because someone in a contest passed over your script doesn't mean it isn't well written. It doesn't mean you won't sell it. It doesn't mean you're a bad writer. It just means that someone didn't connect to your material. And sometimes that's the only chance you get with that opportunity, but there are a ton of other opportunities waiting for you to take advantage.

And the reverse is true. Being a finalist doesn't guarantee you'll find representation. Many don't. It doesn't mean a producer will option your screenplay or buy it. It means, someone connected with your story.

It all boils down to opinion. Sometimes it's one person's opinion. Sometimes it's more than one. But all it takes is ONE person who has the wherewithal to make **** happen. Someone who can champion you and your work.

So, don't be down if you didn't make the cut. Keep writing. Keep querying. Keep finding new ways to get exposure. Keep learning. Keep expecting MORE from yourself.

That was my point, just keep doing...
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                          Right. Absolutely. Different contests have different tastes.

What matters, is that others in the business of buying and selling recognized her talent.

Steven Canals' POSE script didn't make it past the quarters at Austin, and I think like a year later it was getting made. It's now in its 3rd season. The story is something like that. I listened to him speak at Austin last year. He's very charming and very well spoken. He was one of my favorite speakers. He was also on a panel where they tried to break a pilot in an hour... guess what? They couldn't even get the first act established. Haha, it was great to watch, let alone agree on the main characters. ☺

Just because someone in a contest passed over your script doesn't mean it isn't well written. It doesn't mean you won't sell it. It doesn't mean you're a bad writer. It just means that someone didn't connect to your material. And sometimes that's the only chance you get with that opportunity, but there are a ton of other opportunities waiting for you to take advantage.

And the reverse is true. Being a finalist doesn't guarantee you'll find representation. Many don't. It doesn't mean a producer will option your screenplay or buy it. It means, someone connected with your story.

It all boils down to opinion. Sometimes it's one person's opinion. Sometimes it's more than one. But all it takes is ONE person who has the wherewithal to make **** happen. Someone who can champion you and your work.

So, don't be down if you didn't make the cut. Keep writing. Keep querying. Keep finding new ways to get exposure. Keep learning. Keep expecting MORE from yourself.

That was my point, just keep doing...

Cool.

I haven't entered Nicholl yet because I still can't figure out how to write their specific niche of scripts. I see the winning loglines and it's so far from the type of scripts I like to write. Maybe, I should start writing Little Miss Sunshine scripts, but then again Michael Arndt said he sent it in and didn't even make the first cut. I have done really well in the other big contests, but feel like I'm riding an emotional roller coaster where I don't know how well I will do from contest to contest. I assume I will do even better in the next contest with the same high placing script and it doesn't happen that way. I am still trying to figure out the game. I think I heard on a podcast, a top manager saying that he really only has time to read maybe the winners of the top contests. Sometimes he says he doesn't even have time for those. But, maybe more junior managers look more aggressively at the high placers. I figure if you're placing, eventually, one of your next scripts will reach high enough and get noticed.

Comment

Very encouraging words, all. Thanks!

I was bummed that I got passed over in four contests. Only found out a score from one, and it was a 6,5/10. Which seems okay.

I've gotten good reads and mediocre reads out of individuals. The notes I'm getting at this stage are not necessarily ones I either agree with or find significant. So I'm feeling like sitting on this script a while. Sending it around if any opportunity comes up.

Maybe writing another one later, maybe not.

Had a lot of fun writing it though.

Comment

If you got a 6.5 out of 10 on your first script, Merrick, you did well. Write the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                                If you already got a rep and did well - why enter again? I'm always confused by this.
                                I'm not sure about others, but I have a rep and only made the quarterfinals last year and entered again this year purely because I'm competitive.

I'm into the quarters again but unless I win a championship then it's a bust in my eyes.

Good luck to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X