Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin 2020

I see that Americans are beginning to get notified by snail mail. Any idea how long until the e-mails usually go out? I'm based in Europe, so a USPS letter wouldn't reach me until the next decade anyway.

Re: Austin 2020

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
    I see that Americans are beginning to get notified by snail mail. Any idea how long until the e-mails usually go out? I'm based in Europe, so a USPS letter wouldn't reach me until the next decade anyway.
    Used to be Labor Day was a harder deadline for notification calls and letters to go out but as they've expanded categories and had some turnover at the competition director position, it feels like notifications are made on more of a rolling basis over several weeks now. They have 14,000ish total entries versus about half that not so long ago

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
      I wasn't aware anyone was getting notified yet. Fingers crossed still!

Comment

Originally posted by briking View Post
        I wasn't aware anyone was getting notified yet. Fingers crossed still!
        Apparently some redditors and twitter people have posted about getting their second-rounder letters/calls in the past few days.

Comment

Notifications stretch out over a long time.
          The first time I was a semifinalist, I got the call Sept. 13 -- about two weeks after friend of mine got his second round letter.
          Last year I got the call Sept. 9.
          Be prepared to wait a while.

Comment

Ah, thank you for the replies all. I see people posting one by one over the course of at least a week now.

I'll just try to strap in for a while. I think us outside of North America will hear last.

Comment

Prolonged radio silence it seems.

I haven't heard anything and by whatever standards or circumstances one chooses to use, they do seem to be running a tad on the late side this year.

Perhaps the virtual nature of the festival (or other Covid-impacted reasons) removes the urgency of getting people informed so they can make airline/lodging arrangements... so if they're running a few weeks later than normal, there's little to no real impact.

Just rambling here...

Comment

Somewhat unrelated I did get a rejection letter for a short I submitted.

The film programming side seems to be running ahead of schedule.

Comment

Still crickets on my end here on the west coast.

Curious if anyone who submitted a screenplay has received either a snail mail response or phone call.

Just seems... odd... this far into September and no word.

Comment

I've seen several letters posted about on Twitter, so they've gone out a while ago.

Someone in New Zealand even posted today they got a phone call, which was a surprise as there was a mention that they only contact people in North America.

I have a feeling they're doing international calls now and the e-mail will go out shortly after.

Comment

Good info to know.

We'll see what arrives in today's mail.

I hate that feeling of not receiving any sort of notification (even the obligatory rejection) cause then you begin to get that irrational thought that your submittal went MIA into hyperspace or something, which I'm sure isn't the case.

Patience, Grasshopper.

Comment

Because of the COVID-19 disruption hitting New York hard, I couldn't get my script in shape in time for the big competitions like the Nicholl and Page. By the time the Austin deadline of June came around, my script still wasn't at the level I wanted it, but I entered the script anyway and hoped for the best.

This afternoon I received the following email from the Austin Film Festival:

"Thank you for submitting your work (American Slaves) into the 2020 Austin Film Festival Screenplay Competition. I am pleased to inform you that your script advanced to the Second Round! It did not advance to the Semifinalist Round..."

Not a Semifinalist, or a win, but there's always next year.

Comment

A ton of folks on Twitter posting they got either rejection or second round e-mails. But I got nothing ... now the panic sets in - does it mean I made it to SF? I was fine before but now the suspense is killing.

Comment

Working...
                          X