Emerging Writers Program

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Emerging Writers Program

    Hey guys,

    I heard about a new program, sponsored by the fellas that made American Pie , Terra Firma Films. Anyway, its a program for new writers. Thats all I know. I wanted to see if anyone else knew anything or had heard anything about it.

    Thanks,

    Daniel

  • #2
    Re: Emerging Writers Program

    This program was recommended to me, too. The web site is www.terrafirmafilms.com.

    Jami

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Emerging Writers Program

      Has anyone heard anything about it? What is the program? Or does anyone know the reputation of the company?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Emerging Writers Program

        In order to apply to this program you must submit a release form which has some pretty severe clauses to it. It gives Terra Firma the right to buy the writing sample you submit at WGA minimum and releases them from having to give you any credit on the project whatsoever. Somehow I don't think this is a standard clause on a release form. Maybe I'm wrong.

        If you'd like to read the release form itself take a look:

        http://terrafirmafilms.com/emerging_...s_program.html

        Comment


        • #5
          NoNeckJoe's post is bunk

          I'm in this program now -- and I would have never signed anything like what you've stated below. Point out the clauses that say they can sell it at WGA minimum and don't have to give the writer credit please.

          Basically what the agreement says is they are attached as producers to any material you develop during the program (six months). They also have "first look" rights to any material you produce during and one year after the program.

          As for the program, I'm enjoying it and I think any unknown writer would learn from it. There's no table readings, which is fine with me, but they do a good job brining in industry pros for Q&A sessions. They give lectures but if you haven't covered the basics elsewhere (e.g. McKee or Field) you might feel they fly through their material.

          Overall, I'm glad I'm in it.

          Originally posted by NoNeckJoe
          It gives Terra Firma the right to buy the writing sample you submit at WGA minimum and releases them from having to give you any credit on the project whatsoever.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: NoNeckJoe's post is bunk

            Originally posted by brendonla
            I'm in this program now -- and I would have never signed anything like what you've stated below. Point out the clauses that say they can sell it at WGA minimum and don't have to give the writer credit please.
            Paragraph 5, from the link provided:

            5. I hereby grant to you a non-exclusive right to use any or all protected material for any and all purposes, in perpetuity, without any obligation to give any credit to me. If you use any of the protected material, you agree to pay me the "reasonable value" (as defined below) of such non-exclusive right to such use of such material, and I agree to accept such sum as payment in full for such use. Because I recognize that determining the monetary value of unsolicited material involves uncertainties and subjective factors as to which reasonable persons may differ, and in order that we both enjoy the benefit of a certain, fair and reasonable determination of value for the said material, I agree that the reasonable value of the protected material shall not exceed the applicable minimum flat-deal compensation for such material set forth in the basic agreement between entities signatory to such basic agreement and the Writers Guild of America, Inc. (in effect as of the date of this submission). The "reasonable value," as used herein, shall be determined as of the date of this submission.

            That clause would make me turn around and run away, as fast as I possibly could. They don't have to give me credit for my work? Forget it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: NoNeckJoe's post is bunk

              What you quote below is on the writing sample submission release form (for 10 PAGES, not an ENTIRE SCRIPT). It is NOT the Program Agreement form, which outlines the legal agreement for the work participants produce during the program and one year after.

              I don't think Universal (or any other production entity) will buy a 10 page writing sample from an unknown writer and make a movie out of it.

              Originally posted by TDWoj
              Paragraph 5, from the link provided:

              5. I hereby grant to you a non-exclusive right to use any or all protected material for any and all purposes, in perpetuity, without any obligation to give any credit to me. If you use any of the protected material, you agree to pay me the "reasonable value" (as defined below) of such non-exclusive right to such use of such material, and I agree to accept such sum as payment in full for such use. Because I recognize that determining the monetary value of unsolicited material involves uncertainties and subjective factors as to which reasonable persons may differ, and in order that we both enjoy the benefit of a certain, fair and reasonable determination of value for the said material, I agree that the reasonable value of the protected material shall not exceed the applicable minimum flat-deal compensation for such material set forth in the basic agreement between entities signatory to such basic agreement and the Writers Guild of America, Inc. (in effect as of the date of this submission). The "reasonable value," as used herein, shall be determined as of the date of this submission.

              That clause would make me turn around and run away, as fast as I possibly could. They don't have to give me credit for my work? Forget it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Emerging Writers Program

                brendon, how about some more details about the program? how many are in it, are they helping you rewrite/get repped/set up meetings/sell, are you building any useful relationships, etc.

                Comment

                Working...
                X