Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contests to enter

With a million new contests popping up every year what are THE TOP 5! A person could go broke, not to mention nuts trying to figure out which ones are the best.

thanks for any info provided.

The Ghost
    "And on the seventh day, the Lord God Screenwriter looked upon the universe he had created and saw that it was perfect, and so he rested."

Re: Contests to enter

Hi Ghost,
    Don't know about the top 5, but Nicholl is definitely the top one. Austin and Scriptapalooza are also pretty big. Nicholl and Scriptapalooza's deadlines have passed, but Austin's been extended to June 1.
    J

Comment

My opinion?

Nicholl, Scriptapolooza, Austin, Sundance, and I don't know, maybe Telluride?
      "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Comment

I agree with Willo

Comment

Please check out Screenwritingexpo.com for more information about the Expo 4 Screenplay Competition. We give away 2-3 times more than some of those contests and we receive fewer scripts.

We are giving away over 80k in prizes this year, including about 30k in cash.

See you at the Expo.

Jim
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Expo Competition
            Please check out Screenwritingexpo.com for more information about the Expo 4 Screenplay Competition. We give away 2-3 times more than some of those contests and we receive fewer scripts.

We are giving away over 80k in prizes this year, including about 30k in cash.

See you at the Expo.

Jim
            [email protected]

I was going by how many winners are later optioned or produced.

Don't worry. Once I win at Expo this year I firmly intend to pimp it mightily! (;-)
            "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Comment

Absolutely:

Nicholl
              Austin
              Scriptapalooza
              Fade In

Maybe:

Slamdance
              American Accolades
              or Final Draft

Sundance is tops but is not particularly geared toward screenwriting. It's focused more on filmmaking, so a simple script can often be viewed as something of an incomplete package (from the limited amount I know). If you plan to direct as well, or have a director attached, then definitely go for it.
              Just one more reason to get hammered tonight.

Comment

We give away 2-3 times more than some of those contests and we receive fewer scripts.

How many entries do you usually get?

Comment

I think you should evaluate a contest based on:

1) track record of past winners.
                  2) prestige within the industry
                  3) amount of guidance, mentorship it provides
                  4) money given out.

Unless all you care about is the money.

But based on those, I'd say the best ones are Nicholl, Sundance, Disney.

Comment

Check out the Expo catalog for testimonials from winners. We are a young contest and our winners are just starting to build careers based on their success with us.

Lisa Rothstein won the comedy genre in 2003 and took a year with her manager (who found her through the Expo) to rewrite her next spec. The manager got her an agent and the spec went out. She has 3-4 dozen meetings based on it.

One of last year's winners is in the hands of one of the hippest indie filmmakers around, who has attached himself. Details soon.

We received less than 1500 scripts last year and we are giving away over $80,000 in prizes, not to mention a $50,000-Production publishing deal. It's a pretty good risk-reward scenario.

Apply before everyone discovers us. ;-)

Jim Mercurio
                    Coordinator
                    Expo 4 Screenplay Competition
                    [email protected]
                    http://screenwritingexpo.com/competition.htm
                    Apply Online!

Comment

Working...
                    X