Where is there a great pitchfest or conference to go to this summer?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is there a great pitchfest or conference to go to this summer?

I need to do some networking and get my feet wet. I've read this is a good way to make some contacts. Is that really true?

Re: Where is there a great pitchfest or conference to go to this summer?

I attended the Expo 3 this past Nov '04 & the Hollywood PowerPitch Fest this past May '05 and both were great networking experiences to meet both writers & industry pros, especially for someone like me living outside of LA.

IMO the PowerPitch Fest is for those who simply want to pitch their ideas and not have to sit through seminars. I feel it was well worth the pricey flat rate price tag.

The Expo is more of an educational opportunity. It had many seminars to attend in addition to pitch meetings with a much lower price tag. However each pitch meeting is charged separately, and signing up for those meetings online was a huge challenge. Hopefully it will improve.

Good contacts were made at both events, so I guess it's what you make out of it that counts! Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I live outside the LA area too. I'm willing to spend the time and money to make contacts but I certainly want it to be money "well spent."

Comment

Originally posted by krisjsm
        I need to do some networking and get my feet wet. I've read this is a good way to make some contacts. Is that really true?
        I've also been to FadeIn magazine's Powerpitch. When I went they had an evening party were you could rub elbows with some of the guests. But their event is already over for this year.

The Expo is fantastic. Most of the teachers are Hollywood insiders and very approachable if they don't have to run off after their classes. But you can't be shy, because everyone will be surrounding them with the same idea.

Pitch fests are great because they give you a chance to practice your pitches, a skill every screenwriter needs. And you quickly learn what ideas peak their interest and which don't.

Hollywoodawards.com has one I've also been to, coming up later in June. Pretty typical. Not the best. You'll meet a lot of other wannabes (which can be energizing and great fun), but few industry people.

I'm one of the few people in the history of these fests to actually get an option. So it IS possible.

Comment

Working...
        X