Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expo - Out Of Towner Lodging Question

I'm making plans to come out for Expo in November.

If I can make this trip without the added expense of a rental car, life would be good.

Do any Angelinos know how convenient the convention center is to public transport? How convenient is public transport to/from LAX?

What are the hotels within safe walking distance? What else is walkable in the neighborhood?

Are there hotel discounts? (Expo website says they're coming soon.)

And if anyone wants to share a hotel room with a middle-aged married man who snores, feel free to drop me a line at my Yahoo account. (My DoneDeal username + Yahoo + dot + com.)

Re: Expo - Out Of Towner Lodging Question

The Convention Center is on the southwestern end of downtown. Downtown is very well served by MTA buses and the subway can take you from there directly to Hollywood and Universal City. The MTA 439 bus will take you directly from the LAX bus station to downtown. So it can be done, but a car makes things much easier.

Guide to downtown attractions:http://www.downtownnews.com/dtvg/index1.html
    The paper also has listings for cheap downtown hotels, eateries, etc. Some of the hotels are for tourists and students on tight budgets, and some are hangouts for the drunk and dangerous.

Automated trip planner, maps, schedules etc. for public transportation, the MTA. You can also call their customer service line and get info that way:
    http://www.metro.net/default.asp

Walking and bussing it are fine during the day. Big city hustle, like Manhattan or the Chicago loop. After dark, big chunks of downtown are taken over by zombie homeless. Night of the Living Dead, every night of the week. They won't neccessarily feast on your flesh, but they'll be happy to take your wallet.
    If you really like it you can have the rights
    It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Dude, get a car...

Comment

Last time I checked (today) the hotel info was up on the website. The Holiday Inn and Figueroe (where I've stayed) are the two closest. The prices are very reasonable for L.A.

Don't rent a car, take a cab from LAX. It's supposed to only cost $25.00 (plus tip) to downtown, but the drivers won't tell you that. It's a waste of money renting a car since you're not going to be using it.

There are a few places to eat within walking distance, plus a cafeteria at the convention center. Not much else though. But you're not going to be sightseeing anyway.

Comment

Go for the Vagabond Motel on Figueroa! Now that school's out they must be hurting for customers.

Comment

Odocoileus & GreatOz, thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go the no-car route. If I have a car, I'll be too tempted to take off and go sightseeing.

I'm thinking of going with the Holiday Inn, and I'll repeat my offer of sharing a room with another out-of-towner. I'm a happily married man, I'm not looking to hook up. And I plan to only use the room for sleeping, and spend as many waking hours at the Expo as possible. I'm not a serial killer. References provided upon request. Caveat: My wife says I snore.

Any out-of-towners interested, let me know at baronvonreed at yahoo dot com.

Comment

Working...
            X