Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience as a Script P.I.M.P. Competition finalist

I was fortunate; I was one of the twenty finalists this year.

We new writers are always on the lookout for competitions that will help us financially or, most importantly, through script promotion/marketing.

Check out their website, www.scriptpimp.com, for the general info on the judging and what is provided the finalists and grand prize winners.

Beyond what is given there, let me share my experience as a recent finalist.

At the awards ceremony (at the Improv), they invited industry people to give the writers a chance to mingle, meet and schmooze, and it was sold out. (Unfortunately, I didn't win one of the four grand prizes worth $2,500 each). It was a good time.

Now, script promotion/marketing: As one of the finalists, the Script P.I.M.P. guys asked me for a 'wish list' of whom I would like the script to be submitted to. They would then add that to their own list that their staff would tailor for my script.

They sent me their list last evening. They are using their connections to directly submit my script to:
    -UTA and Original Artists;
    -Billy Bob Thornton, Kevin Costner, Jessica Alba, Robert Redford, Kate Hudson and others;
    -to production companies receptive to my genre that have deals with studios;
    -and more...

They're going to spend the next four weeks "hitting the pavement" with my script for these submissions. And they didn't bat an eye at my submission wish list that included Jennifer Aniston, Scarlett Johansson and a few others, which they will include and submit.

Outside of all this, I'm receiving independent requests for my script from companies such as Bender-Spink, which are coming through the Script P.I.M.P. guys, whom these companies have a relationship with.

This is my first time as a finalist, but I'm not aware of any other competition that puts this much effort into promoting and working with their finalists--if there is let me know.

And--No--I don't work for them. I met these guys for the first time at the awards ceremony. I'm just a 'cowpoke' down here in Texas who 'ain't rep'd by nobody' and just finally getting some much-needed marketing assistance.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Best of fortune to everyone,
    Joseph Nutter

Re: My experience as a Script P.I.M.P. Competition finalist

That's really cool, Joseph! I was invited to that shindig (I also entered contest, but didn't place), but didn't go - had a family thing to go to that couldn't be cancelled. I didn't realize it was an industry "meet and greet". I too have had very good experience with the folks at Script Pimp. I paid for a read of my best script with Mr McKittrege. His phone consult was definitely worth the 300 bucks. Congrats on your placement in the contest. Best wishes in finding the right home for your script!

-Sandy
    sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Re: My experience as a Script P.I.M.P. Competition finalist

Thanks, Sandy. Too bad you couldn't make it that night.

As we all know, Script P.I.M.P. doesn't have quarter-finalists or semifinalists, which cuts down on the chatter about this contest.

If, by the fickle fortune of all competition judging, one does go straight to the top twenty at Script P.I.M.P., what they do for that group really rocked me back on my heels.

Nothing may happen from all this (this script will have to sell itself, of course), but it won't be from the lack of effort and involvement from these guys.

Best of luck to you!
      Last edited by JosephN; 08-12-2005, 04:07 AM. Reason: making an effort to better express myself...

Comment

Working...
      X