No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expo 4 Final Deadline 8/22

Take a closer look at our contest.

Monday, August 22, is your last chance to enter the Expo Screenplay Competition and compete for $80,000 in prizes plus an unprecedented $50,000 comic book and graphic novel production deal.

Prizes include
    $16,000 Grand Prize
    6 $1,600 Genre Prizes
    2 Entries into Writers Boot Camp's $7,500 22-month Think Tank
    $50,000-Production Deal with comic book studio Dabel Brothers Pro
    Top 20 writers will receive thousands in prizes plus access to over 200 companies.
    Be part of the greatest contest around.

Entries must be postmarked or uploaded by 8/22.

http://screenwritingexpo.com/competition.htm

Jim Mercurio
    [email protected]

Re: Expo 4 Final Deadline 8/22

considering that MOST contests extend deadlines at one point or other, why pick on these guys?

besides, there's plenty of stuff to whine about being "unfair" in this whole industry, and doing so is never productive. just write a great script and it doesn't matter how many scripts might come in after yours.

Comment

Originally posted by goinbatty
      considering that MOST contests extend deadlines at one point or other, why pick on these guys?

besides, there's plenty of stuff to whine about being "unfair" in this whole industry, and doing so is never productive. just write a great script and it doesn't matter how many scripts might come in after yours.
      I am aware of those posts and the conversations we had at the Contest panel last year. I think in the future, I will include as part of the rules that there may be 1-2 extensions as part of the deadline process.

Our new online submission process and a mistake in our last email promotion, which incited a slew of angry emails, have forced us to extend the deadline for a few writers who had problems applying.

We had to make exceptions for some writers, so we are going to extend the courtesy to all writers. Everyone has until this Friday to enter the contest.

This is the one and only extension for this year.

Jim Mercurio
      [email protected]
      http://screenwritingexpo.com/competition.htm

Comment

I don't support extensions especially ones that "may or may not " happen. This will only add to procrastination by folks who wait till the last minute. Folks who prepare for and abided by competition rules will only become upset. Rules are rules. If we as writers cannot make deadlines to competitions how are we to expect to make deadlines set by the those who hire us. So - get used to it. This includes me.

No I don't begrudge those who have another 4 days - if their script is better than mine - so be it.

Don't get me wrong - I have been a last minute entrant in many contests - including rushing around yesterday like a scalded cat to have a script postmarked by Aug. 22. I have also missed deadlines - and paid the consequences. Sometimes delays are inevitable - sometimes they are avoidable.

I think Jim has tried to address the concerns of those who feel frustrated by Cyber Anomalies and this is to his credit.

Jim - I ask that you not make provision in the rules for extensions in advance. This will not help the situation. Only make for more and varied hard feelings.

I have a suggestion or two:

Close Internet applications one week earlier than snail mail. If problems arise for Intereter's then they have a fail safe alternative. I suspect that last minute submissions may overlaod servers (???). Those who use snail mail know their drop dead date. Expo uses a series of ever increasing fees the later the entry date. It's not like everyone isn't aware of the looming timeline.

Announce the drop dead date in advance - no exceptions - you have advised and posted announcements of upcoming deadlines. Everyone should get the message. If there appears to be an unavoidable problem that might call for an extraordinary extension - then DO NOT wait till the last date to announce the extension. Announce it one week in advance and advise everyone that this might happen (maybe put this in the rules) - if that prior one week date comes and goes and no announced extension - then everyone who is hustling to enter knows that the fuse is burning - one week - that's all partner.

Comment

They just extended the deadline til Fri. 8/26 citing problems with their online application process.

Comment

Originally posted by boski
            Funny how the Big Contests like Nicholls and Disney never run into these problems that cause 11th hour extensions.

I would suggest that administrators running contests plagued by these extension problems check in with the Nicholl and Disney administrators to learn how it is they avoid this nettlesome problem.
            well, duh. disney's free to enter because it is funded by the very deep pockets of disney/ABC. nicholl has an endowment. both of those contests can afford to "lose" money every year. other contests -- the ones that must at least break even -- extend their deadlines. and they have every right to do it whether anyone likes it or not. and though a minority might whine about it, truth is, I suspect the whiners are outnumbered by the many hundreds who will take advantage of the extension.

you complainers remind me of those goody-goodies in school who always turned their homework in on time and complained about the students who asked for extensions. those goody goodies were really annoying, and they wouldn't last long in hollywood, where endless delays at every stage of production are par for the course.

Comment

I think it's worth pointing out here that both Austin and Disney extended their deadlines this year.

Comment

Another important distinction with Disney and Nicholls is that they are not bound to give any of the top "prizes" - they can award as few fellowships as they want if the scripts aren't up to snuff.

Other contests don't have that luxury. If they end up awarding crap the contest reputation suffers.

Comment

Extended deadlines only bug me when they push the announcement date off into the future. Obviously, that's not the case with the Expo. And they do want to have a decent number of entrants, not just for the money, but also for the prestige. Any contest that can boost the number of entrants will hopefully look more important.

I don't feel that it gives any writer an unfair advantage. I won this contest last year, and I think I made the second of the three official deadlines. I sent another script at the third deadline and it only made the semi-finals. If anything, an argument could be made that entering early confers an advantage, because the readers can take more time with the scripts.

kullervo

Comment

If I knew they we're going to extend the deadline, I would have waited to submit my script. I'm still rewriting/editing and I prefer to send the most current copy to the contest. Hence the reason I wait until a few days before the deadline.

I have made changes on the script I submitted. I feel that I've been dinged for being responsible and submitting a couple days prior to the date.

If you're going to extend deadline, give a bit of advance notice.

Comment

[QUOTE=boski]I take back everything I said on the John Edwards thread--

Jim--Come clean. The deadline extension was part of the business model from the get-go. Certainly you knew it when you posted the first 8/22 deadline announcement.

QUOTE]

We did have several problems and complaints as I mentioned. And that was part of our decision to extend, which was made a few days before the deadline.

It does seem that extensions are part of the business model--Disney, Austin, etc.. I am thinking of just making the possibility of an extension explicit in the rules of the contest next year. If others think that that will cause more problems, I am open to hearing that too.

We do want our numbers to be up, because we give away more than any other non-fellowhip contest, we have helped alot of writers and I would like to be able to continue to do that.

Jim

Comment

Due to completely annoying circumstance, I missed the deadline. I took it as an omen.

With the extension, I took it as an even better omen...crossed fingers here.

Knock on wood.
                        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

How many entered?

When do they announce the quarterfinalists (assuming they do)?

Do they email you once they receive your script?

Thx

Comment

I'm also wondering when announcements of quarterfinalist are...can't find on the expo website. Anyone? Thanks.

Comment

Junior Sherlocks you ain't. Just go to moviebytes.com and check the contest information page. Quarterfinalists were announced there last year on 10/6.

kullervo

Comment

Working...
                              X