Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio show staff

I'm writing a script that heavily features a call-in radio show. Unfortunately, all I know about the behind-the-scenes action of these shows is what I've gleaned from "The Truth About Cats and Dogs" and "Frasier." Basically, I just need a rough idea of what sort of staff is present for a call-in show, and what their functions and titles are. I'm under the impression that there's a producer who throws the calls to the host and who may or may not occasionally be heard on air. Beyond that, I have no idea who else may be involved or what they do.

Ideally, I'd like to see if I could observe a show sometime, but for the time being I'll settle for getting enough info to avoid being wildly inaccurate. Surely there must be a DDer or two who's done radio at some point. Anyone?

Thanks!
    The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Re: Radio show staff

Producer and on-air personality. That's really about it. Of course, it depends on when the show is on, because late nights at small stations will sometimes dispence with the producer and make the DJ run everything by himself, but that's not usual for a call in show. Someone is usually lining up the callers while the on-air person is talking to one of them.

Course, this is based on college radio experience, so your mileage may vary.
    "The only reason most scripts are bad is because most people can't write." Leslie Dixon

Comment

Talk Radio/Howard Stern

I'd watch the film; Talk Radio. This film is about a call in show DJ and is based on the real DJ; Dave Berg, who was shot by an irrate neo-nazi. See www.imdb.com for more details.

I'd also read Howard Stern's book Private Parts. Stern is highly successful and knows a lot about the radio industry.
      I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

It would depend on the size of the station and the time the show is on. If it is during the day, there would be more people around.

An Engineer and Producer would there and don't forget about the interns that always seem to be wandering around.

Unless you live in NY or LA, you could probably call your local station and ask them if you can come in to observe.

I did a show in college. During the day, there were always dozens of people wandering in and out of the station and the studio -- oh, don't forget about others who are producing commercials and promotions, they're usually hanging around the production rooms and some like to work late -- at night, the station would empty around 11 and by 1 or 2 am, I was there alone with an occassional security guard checking in.

Comment

The Jim Rome show is run by 4 people.

Jim runs the mike.
          Jay Stuart call screens, and contacts/schedules guests for interviews
          Travis Rogers produces, and screens the emails to be read on air
          And a 4th guy, who I forget the name of, engineers and runs the sound board.

That's all it takes.

Comment

We should do a show, DC.
            "Entertaining the world is a full time, up at dawn, never ending siege, the likes of which you will never fully understand."
            Billy Thrilly 2005

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

To be more specific, the radio show in question is a late-night one at a major Los Angeles station. So the issue I'm basically trying to resolve is if there would just be a producer handling the calls and running the show, or if there would be an engineer, interns, etc. It doesn't much matter to me, either way. I just want to a) depict it more or less accurately, and b) know enough to briefly refer to what a character's purpose is. (I'm not interested in bogging down the script with details; I just want to go slightly beyond "A STAFF MEMBER pushes a BUTTON.)

The general consensus seems to be leaning toward having at least one person beyond a producer, but then the general consensus also seems to be that late-night shows have less staff than daytime ones.

Again, thanks for the help!
              The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X