Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adrenaline

Does anyone know the medical terminology for adrenaline? For example if a doctor had a glass bottle for which to insert a syringe into and fill. WHAT would the bottle say?

Re: adrenaline

If you're in the United States, it would probably say "epinephrine."

If you're in Europe or Australia, it's called "Adrenalin" or "adrenaline." The reason is due to the fact that the US (and many other parts of the world) use the International Non-Proprietary Name (INN) for the hormone (epinephrine), while most of the European Union countries use the British Approved Name (BAN) of "adrenaline."

It has to do, mainly, with the trademark for "adrenalin" and "adrenaline" being owned by a drug company.

So, the vial would say "epinephrine" in the US (and would be referred to as "epi" by the doctors) and "adrenaline" in Europe.

There's also another quick way to inject it via what is known as an "Epi-pen."
    "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

Opty is correct in his comprehensive, broad view, which he expressed in greater detail than I would have been able to.

Let me add a fine point to what he said, since I possess the benefit of having worked in medicine for twenty years.

In my own experience, most physicians and nurses in the U.S. use the term epinephrine in day-to-day parlance, and that is what you will usually hear. For one reason, that is the term used in standardized courses like ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) for doctors and nurses. It is also the generic name of the drug.

However, I have heard people use the term Adrenalin, which (as Opty pointed out) is a tradename. In fact, you will see bottles with Adrenalin as the name (in big, bold letters), and below you will see Epinephrine 1:1000, USP (meaning epinephrine in a dilution of 1 to 1000; the USP is an abbreviation for something like United States Pharmacopeia, and nobody ever uses USP as part of the name except in printed matter for legal purposes). You will also see bottles that only have Epinephrine 1:1000, USP on them, because the drug was produced generically (not by the company that owns the tradename Adrenalin).

My impression is that in older days, like in the 1940s and 1950s and on into the 1960s, the name Adrenalin was more common in medical parlance in the U.S. You will hear it in older movies and will read it in older literature sometimes. It is still around, but has largely been replaced by "epinephrine" in the U.S.

That will be ten cents, please.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

But wait, there's more!

Check this out: http://www2.ccc.uni-erlangen.de/projects/ChemVis/motm/
        si

Comment

Working...
        X