Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romantic triangles

I'm writing a script featuring a love triangle, but I just can't seem to get it to work. Maybe it's because I've never been in a love triangle. I don't know. Here's the situation:

There's a scene where the main character, Wes, is preparing to propose to his girlfriend, Vanessa. They've had a good relationship, a few rough spots here and there, but what relationship doesn't? Plus, Wes has a fear of ending up alone, so he's trying too hard to win Vanessa over. When Wes finally gathers the courage to do it, Vanessa tells him that her ex-boyfriend, Dean, just came home from Iraq and proposed to her. She hasn't said yes, for she's unsure of her feelings for Dean. Vanessa was very upset that Dean left her in the first place, but now that he came back for her, she's confused.

How do I get out of this scene? Does Vanessa dump Wes to reconnect with Dean? Does Wes propose to Vanessa anyway? If so, does Vanessa say yes?

I'm thinking that maybe Wes doesn't propose to her at all after he hears about Dean. Maybe his intentions will be brought up later on, but for now, he doesn't want to get hurt.

Any personal experiences would indeed be very helpful.
    Last edited by Pro2k5; 09-13-2006, 08:30 AM. Reason: additions

Re: Romantic triangles

Pro2k5, without knowing anything about your story except what you've mentioned, I think this really isn't about how to get out of this scene or romantic triangles, but rather where your story's gonna head for the next 25-50 pages or so. This seems like a plot point to me. So whatever decisions your characters make here, they are going to directly affect the rest of your story. Maybe you should think about where you want your story to go if you haven't already.

Decisions, reactions etc. in romantic triangles are one thing, where your story goes is whole 'nother thing.

God I hope I just made sense.

Again, just my initial reacition.

Good luck,

Corona
    I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
    I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

Simply in terms of process, it seems to me you've jumped the gun. You're writing the script but don't know how to get your characters around what appears to be a major turning-point in the story. Perhaps you should step back, weigh the options, turn out a treatment or synopsis, test that out on readers, and then begin writing the script.

In a novel you can feel your way into a story (the journey being more important than the goal); a script's a matter of disclosure; you should know every twist and turn in the story before you write FADE IN.

Comment

The triangle you describe reminds me a bit of "It's a Wonderful Life" when George is in love with Mary who is dating Sam. George needs to kick it up a notch to win Mary away from the rich catch, Sam.

Comment

How do I get out of this scene? Does Vanessa dump Wes to reconnect with Dean? Does Wes propose to Vanessa anyway? If so, does Vanessa say yes?
          How the heck should we know? It's your story. Think of this as a crime. Start with the ending and work your way back. Whoever Vanessa ends up with will give you the clue to how you should proceed. Am I to infer this is a drama?

Comment

It's a comedy/drama.

I'm in the middle of a rewrite and I know how the script ends, but this scene is giving me trouble. My problem is that I want it to sound real, not like some of the fake stuff you see all the time.

Comment

"Real" depends on who your character is.

Is he a person who is spurred on by competition or one who hides from it?

Does he have a flaw that he needs to overcome in the story? What is it? Does it have something to do with how he'd respond?

If you know how the story ends, what would he have to do here to get you there?

Comment

As the other thread was stating... perhaps you need to experience a little more life.

I advise you to find two people, engage in seemingly monogamous relationships with the both of them, lie through your teeth, see what happens, and record your observations for posterity.

Comment

I don't know. It sounds like Wes and Vanessa don't have that good of a relationship in the first place. If you're madly in love with someone, just swept away by passion, all your past relationships seem faraway and vaguely embarrassing.

And yeah - like the other posters have pointed out - this is a plot point which you need to figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips
                    I advise you to find two people, engage in seemingly monogamous relationships with the both of them, lie through your teeth, see what happens, and record your observations for posterity.
                    Exactly! All in the name of research.

Comment

I think Vanessa should choose Dave. I mean Dean.

I've develop this voting system. If you have neough people decide for you, the story will come to life. I've never used the smilies. It's quite addicting... bast$#@! You can only put 8 smilies!

I changed my mind. She should choose Fred. I mean, Wes.

Comment

Working...
                      X