No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poignant, but sad endings?

Hey DDer's,

I'm working on a new project and am looking for examples of films where the hero (preferably a reluctant leader of others) is compelled to choose "the lesser of evils" in order to save the most people possible or make the best of an untenable situation.

Situations where the fight cannot be won and escape isn't an option. Only some form of defeat or surrender awaits the protag and his (or her) clan.

The main example I've thought of so far is Braveheart. By the time he was captured, it was no longer a question of whether he'd escape or ambush his captors. The only question was how well he would accept his fate.

Let me know what comes out of those vast fountains of knowledge you call brains.

Cheers,

Cutt-
    "I've got vision up the butt, so just go with it!" - Dewey Finn, School of Rock

Re: Poignant, but sad endings?

Originally posted by CutteRug View Post
    Hey DDer's,

I'm working on a new project and am looking for examples of films where the hero (preferably a reluctant leader of others) is compelled to choose "the lesser of evils" in order to save the most people possible or make the best of an untenable situation.

Situations where the fight cannot be won and escape isn't an option. Only some form of defeat or surrender awaits the protag and his (or her) clan.

Cutt-

Thelma & Louise
    Rain Man
    Indecent Proposal

??

Comment

The Last Samurai
      Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Originally posted by santino2699 View Post
        Thelma & Louise
        Rain Man
        Indecent Proposal
        Originally posted by seh View Post
        The Last Samurai
        Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
        Very nice. Thanks much.

Yes, my story will be along the lines of "The Last Samurai". Big epic. Changing world. A small group caught in the middle. And the leader of that group forced to surrender or lose everyone.

Thanks again guys. Keep 'em comin'!

Cheers.
        "I've got vision up the butt, so just go with it!" - Dewey Finn, School of Rock

Comment

"300" sounds pretty close to that.

Comment

Silent Running
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
            X