Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here speak German?

I've created a ficticious place somewhere in Germany and I've called it Weidersheim. I pronounce it Veeda-shime.

Does this pronunciation and spelling seem right?
    sigpic

Re: Does anyone here speak German?

Originally posted by Mark Twain Weck View Post
    I've created a ficticious place somewhere in Germany and I've called it Weidersheim. I pronounce it Veeda-shime.

Does this pronunciation and spelling seem right?
    No. I taught German (after majoring in it in college and studying for two years in Europe).

The problem is that "ei" in German is pronounced like American "I"'; "ie" is prounouned "EEE". Therefore: Wienerschnitzel, etc. And Weimar Republic. Make sense?

So your fictional place is pronounced "WIderzhIme". Your phoenetics sound Yiddish.

PM me if you want me to help you spell the name you want. And where is this place supposed to be, fictionally speaking? The South/Bavaria, the East/Berlin, the North/Hamburg? Each region has its own soundsense, just like you wouldn't confuse Atlanta with the Bronx or Seattle.

Just to let you know.

- pwr
    I'm like an opening band for the sun.
    -- Eddie Vedder: "Push Me / Pull Me"

Comment

It's many years since I took German, but I can tell you that anything that is spelled "wei" would be pronounced "vie." (As in "vying.") If you want a "vee" sound, you need to spell it "wie."

As my old German teacher used to say, "when e and i go walking, the latter does the talking." Whichever letter comes second dominates the sound.

Hope this helps, though I'm sure others will be able to elaborate.

edit: Whoopsie. Too slow.
      The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

I have to offer a slight correction.

It would be pronounced VY-duhrs-hyme, not -zhyme.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Thanks all.

Or should I say, Dank.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X