Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel back from Iraq

Has anyone been back from Iraq after serving there? Or know anyone who has come back? My question is how does the travel arrangements happen? Do you go to the local airport and catch a flight home? Is there a counter where you walk up to and the "ticket person- checks your status to fly and direct you to the right flight? I have such a scene in my script, and I would like to make it as realistic as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Re: Travel back from Iraq

My guess is that if you're serving in a branch of the armed services, that branch arranges your travel home, undoubtedly on a charter flight, or on a plane owned and operated by the Army, the Marines, etc.

In WWII you usually hopped aboard whatever transport plane or bomber was headed Stateside.

Comment

Originally posted by cmmora View Post
      Has anyone been back from Iraq after serving there? Or know anyone who has come back? My question is how does the travel arrangements happen? Do you go to the local airport and catch a flight home? Is there a counter where you walk up to and the "ticket person- checks your status to fly and direct you to the right flight? I have such a scene in my script, and I would like to make it as realistic as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      When I came back from Saudi Arabia in 92...we boarded a charted commercial air liner right there on the base. But you're talking about moving 300 or more people.

I've also flown in a C130 with 5 other guys sitting on cargo netting, wearing ear plugs and using a 5 gallon bucket as a toilet.

The only counter I approached was coming back into the country. I had to stop at customs and declare.

You pretty much just line up and board single file.
      Felicitations, malefactors! I am endeavoring to misappropriate the formulary for the preparation of saleable screenplays. WHO WILL JOIN ME!

Comment

Thanks for the insight Jake and writerman. This helps a lot.
        Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Yeh, my dad has flown the United Commerical Charter before.

From I can remember, he flew from NYC to London to Germany then to Kuwait. As for the return flight I *think* (don't quote me) it was simply the reverse or possibly dropped everyone off in Germany.
          R.K. Bentley
          My Blog, My Design Studio
          "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Comment

Originally posted by cmmora View Post
            I fly to Dubai pretty often (commercial), and there are always a bunch of Army and Marines coming back from Iraq. Not sure how they get to Dubai itself, though.
            "That's a good idea, Homer, but they've already made a movie about World War II."

Comment

Working...
            X