Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal Transportation!

I am 70% sure that there are commercial airlines out there that transport animals, including zoo animals. Of course they have to follow all the wildlife laws, etc. In my script, I have a small zoo animal transported via small plane (not even specifically commercial), in the cargo space, in a cozy ventilated cage.

But I had a reader provide coverage to my script who claims, all zoo animals are transported via military craft with a vet accompanying them. He's a professional reader and I am assuming a zoologist on the side... just kidding, I did my research but now the reader has me panicking, like he knows something "so obvious!"

Anyone have insight?

Thanks!

Zoo Animal Transportation

Now, you can be 100% certain and tell that reader that there are commercial flights that transport zoo animals, (and, I've never heard of military aircraft being involved in such activities in Canada).

http://www.castleair.com/animal_transprt.htm
    JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: Animal Transportation!

Thoroughbred Arabian stallions are flown in airconditioned stalls on jumbo jets to important races.

People book a first class seat for their poodle, sometimes.

btw, is this small zoo animal being transported on the plane a snake?

Comment

Hi Lulu,

Check out the United States Department of Agriculture, "Zoo, Circus, and Marine Animal" welfare and transport. They will have the most current information with any recent legislative changes regarding import, export, or transfer of animals across state lines. Commercial airlines (and most likely military transports) will have to adhere with those policies in order to avoid issues with the USDA as well as the CDC.

Hope this helps,
        asjah8
        Last edited by asjah8; 12-30-2007, 12:16 AM.
        life happens
        despite a few cracked pots-
        and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by yeehi View Post

btw, is this small zoo animal being transported on the plane a snake?

Comment

jetpets.com in playa del rey should be able to give you info. when I lived next to them I'd see all kinds of animals being shipped through them.

Comment

The reader sounds like an idiot. Animals (say, dog or pony sized) are sent by commercial airlines all the time. Why would the fact it happens to be an animal from a ZOO instead of a private person mean that suddenly that the military would transport it instead?

Heck, around here a pet up to the size of a spaniel is even covered by the free baggage allowance for domestic flights.. it is just another suitcase. (Well - the pet carrier is!)

If it is travelling internationally, it will have quarantine certificates, vet records, etc.

If you want to get pedantic, here are the local requirements for transporting zoo carnivores by air: http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex...LogSessionID=0

In general, the rules of the IATA Live Animal regulations apply: http://www.iata.org/ps/publications/lar.htm

They certainly don't expect a vet to accompany the animal .. but they may insist that a vet has examined the animal within 72 hours of the aircraft leaving.

In case your 'expert' doesn't think it applies to zoo animals, here are the list of 'common animals' transported that IATA applies to: http://www.iata.org/NR/rdonlyres/0D1...R63English.pdf

No - I didn't know there was an animal called a 'Zebu'. I'll keep it in mind for Scrabble.

---

However, it may be a silly preconception that other readers or audience members may have. Just have a character have the same silly preconception and get corrected.

Mac
              Last edited by Mac H.; 01-03-2008, 12:54 AM.
              New blogposts:
              *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
              *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
              *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
              *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Working...
              X