Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Times Square - New Year's Eve Security

Anybody who has been to this party who can offer advice?

I understand that the NYPD control access points to Times Square on New Year's Eve, and no bags or backpacks are permitted. And also Emergency Service squads, drug and bomb sniffing canine units and counter-terrorism personnel will be present in Times Square too.

But, do the police officers at the access points do bodysearches/patdowns too? Or do they just say "No bags allowed?".

I'm assuming because of the sheer number of people trying to get in, it'll be a case of the latter, but with security being what it is these days, bodysearches could be a possibility too.

Any help? Thanks.

Re: Times Square - New Year's Eve Security

I have never been to the actual event but I am a New York resident and work in Times Square right now. I also frequent the subway system and the only thing I ever see is that for big events and the subway the NYPD's search of bags is "random" and never has happened to me. I suspect people who might seem suspicious in anyway might be given this treatment. I have seen bags searched in subway stations but I have never seen anyone patted down. Maybe someone who has attended the New Year's Eve celebration will be a better source of information but I hope mine helps in some way. Also a good tidbit is on NYE the 49th St subway by Times Square gets shut down to prevent further over-crowding (yay, express train.) 42nd St / Times Sq subway remains open because it is where tons of trains come together for transfers.

Comment

Re: Times Square - New Year's Eve Security

Quality,

Thanks for the information. It certainly helps. Interesting stuff. Many thanks.

Anybody else want to chime in, jump right ahead.

Comment

Working...
      X