Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military investigation question

I'm struggling with a bit of research, and it dawned on me that there are some folks here that might be able to at least point me in the right direction.

Here's the scenario:

A high ranking US General is killed on public property (in the U.S.) by an unknown assassin.

Question 1) Who would head the investigation? The FBI or Military Police (like NCIS or CID)? I imagine this would be a juridictional cluster f$$k but I'm sure one organization would lead, and I'm not sure if in a case like this if the FBI might take the lead.

Question 2) Who would handle the actual laboratory processing of forensic evidence? Printing items, going through data files such as cell phones or computers etc? Basically who would be the CSI in such an investigation and where would that evidence be sent? I believe the FBI would handle that sort of thing at their labs in the Hoover Bldg, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide answers or direction on where I could find such answers.
    Last edited by prescribe22; 03-25-2008, 11:34 AM.

Re: Military investigation question

I was in the Air Force. I imagine, if this were specific to my former branch, USAF OSI would be involved in the investigations.

Not sure about your script, but I've often considered using this office in a story. They used to even go undercover, cross training an Agent into a career field (let's use my old AFSC [MOS-equivalent] 2E1x1 - Satellite and Wideband Communications), taking sometimes up to a year to train these guys as fully fluent in SATCOM ****, just to bust a ring of pot dealers in a unit. Donnie Brasco-style in the military.

Check out the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_For...Investigations

Seems they're up to some pretty important stuff nowadays, and would definitely have a hand in the investigation of a murdered AF general. Along with the FBI and local authorities, I presume. But, I can say this: the military would most likely AGGRESSIVELY investigate this. In my experience, the military (whatever the branch) is very keen on keeping anything remotely scandalous in-house. All the way down to the unit level. Chain of Command works the other way too.

Comment

Thank you both for informed advice. Very helpful.

Comment

Is it PUBLIC property? Or FEDERAL property?

If it's public, then whatever local law enforcement agency in conjunction with applicable military police/investigative service.

FEDERAL property(military installations/airports/postal facilities/federal lands-buildings) is the only reason for the FBI to get involved.

Comment

Working...
        X