Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help w/description

What do you call it when a person rubs his eyes with one hand then squeezes the bridge of his nose and grimaces, like he's got a headache? I think everybody does it, like when they take off their glasses, so maybe there's a term. My character does this whenever he decides he's going to murder somebody, so I need something quaint, because he's going to do it a handful of times.

Re: Need help w/description

In vaudeville they used to call it a slow burn.

Not quite the same but pretty close.

Bot
    Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

Not even close, Robot. A "slow burn" is a gradual display of anger. A seethe turning into a controlled rage. What Allniter is referring to is exactly how he described it. You're tired, you rub your eyes and pinch the bridge of your nose.

Comment

Okay, I give up, I thought the guy was angry when he was killing the person - he's just tired?
        Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

describe it in detail the first time, then coin it as one of the following:

his face thing
          his affectation
          his face routine
          his death routine

etc. just come up with something that suits the tone and/or your character.

Comment

How'bout if I reduce it to:

Martin rubs his eyes with his hand.

I think the full motion is implied with the grimacing and bridge pinching.

Comment

I believe the proper term for this is plinth.
              "Witticism"
              -Some Guy

Comment

Originally posted by cynicide View Post
                I believe the proper term for this is plinth.
                lol.

I really was hoping there was a term, even it was something like plinth. As it stands, I think I'm going to tank the whole idea.

Comment

Just say he massages his temples; same effect, easier to describe.
                  "Witticism"
                  -Some Guy

Comment

I usually rub my belly and recite Robert Frost poetry before I murder someone.

Comment

Working...
                    X