X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altered photo - why?

Here is a photo from the national archive:

http://www.archives.gov/research/ame...images/084.jpg

Here is the "same" photo downloaded from somehwere else.

http://www.toadworks.com/photos_page...s/image001.jpg

Obviously, one of these photos is an altered image made from the other. Which one is real? I cannot tell. Why? I am puzzled.
    We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Re: Altered photo - why?

I would say the second photo, the sepia one, is the original. The two main signs are central on the building whereas the other one has two signs added on the left hand side. While they are central to the photograph they would look funny if you were looking at the building head on.

Maybe someone needed a photo to illustrate a book or article about Roy Bean being a Justice Of The Peace and decided to add the sign to the photo to back up their writing?

Comment

There's Law west of the pecos now?
      - - - - - - -
      Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

The first one has what looks like a hubcap hanging from the
        porch.

With the ice and beer sign, maybe this was used for an ad
        for a little mom and pop gas station and store on
        a Texas highway?

Otherwise, maybe cowboys used hubcaps for target practice.
        myhomeconvalesceblog

Comment

Altered?

Originally posted by billmarq View Post
          Obviously, one of these photos is an altered image made from the other. Which one is real? I cannot tell. Why? I am puzzled.
          Both are fake. There's no billiard hall in either of them. I'd be more skeptical of the sign advertising "ice" in those days, when there's no electrical hook-up for an ice-box.
          JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

here's another image of the same thing:

http://angam.ang.univie.ac.at/wester...courthouse.jpg
            Script List

Comment

There's more picture in the first one, most noticable on the right where the entire horse is showing. But then there's that guy playing a synthesizer, in the wild west?
              The end is too damn nigh.

Comment

Originally posted by J off course View Post
                The first one has what looks like a hubcap hanging from the
                porch.
                That "hubcap" is a beer sign in a painting of the first one.

http://paradiseoil.net/Paradise_Oil/i/SCAN0006L.jpg

But I agree the sepia looks more original.
                sigpic

Comment

Beer Signs

That round sign appears, (to me), to say, "ANHEUSERBUSCH BEER," (with the company's logo in the middle, in this better photo postcard, (from 1937), with a round "beer" sign on the same corner post.

Here's a more complete photo postcard with the "ICE BEER" sign from the Lippe Studio, in Del Rio, Texas, (from 1948).

Here's another coloured postcard, with the "JUSTICE OF THE PEACE" sign on the far side of the saloon's porch.

And, in this photo postcard of the dilapidated saloon, with a sign for "JERSEY LILLY" on the side, (instead of "ICE BEER," or "BEER SALOON"), there are more posts holding up the porch roof, (as there are in this recent photograph).

Both of the photographs at the start of this thread may have been doctored by postcard photographers to agree with contemporary signs on the restored building, (used as a tourist draw, and to advertise the availability of ice and beer). As to whether or not the porch roof was supported by four or six posts, in Roy Bean's time, I'd not want to be snookered by alterations to the building.

Does anyone actually think that the round "beer" sign was there, about 1900, and restored to the same location, about 1937? Or, that Roy Bean's saloon had ice?

Ye'd better plead insanity.

Next case.

Here's yet another mystery photo of "Roy Bean." The building behind him appears to have the simple sign "Judge Roy Bean" in the same place as found on the dilapidated building and to have another large sign with "Jersey Lilly." As a contemporaneous photo, two items of interest are: the roof comes to a triangular peak, (unlike any other photos of the building), and, there are at least four posts in this photo holding up the porch roof, (which suggests that there were six, as in the photo of the dilapidated building). The source of these photographs was the Lippe Studio in Del Rio, Texas, (purchased in 1941, by Robert L. Warren, who died in 1996).
                  Last edited by Fortean; 08-12-2008, 07:15 PM. Reason: Another Mystery Photo
                  JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

the ANSWER:

I have a duplicate thread over in One on One where the photos are visible within my posts. I didn't really mean to start two threads, but this one ended up "live" when I thought I had quit it. Anyway, here is the response and original photo taken from a negative plate in the collections of the El Paso Public Library, courtesy of Mr. Danny Gozalez:

Hello Mr. Marquardt,
                    I am sending you a courtesy copy of the Aultman photograph that is within the Border Heritage Collection. The copy that you will be viewing has been positively reproduced from one of Mr. Aultman’s negatives of which are within our photo collection. It does appear that there have been some alterations with respects to the first photograph in your email to me. Please judge for yourself. I would not know where to start to explain on how or who could be responsible for the possible alterations. I can only assure that the negative the we have in our possession is an authentic Aultman negative.
                    Here is a little background on our Aultman photograph collection. I don’t have an exact date but shortly after his death on 5 March 1943. Mr. Aultmans collection, which was mostly negatives, was acquired by Chris P. Fox, Executive Vice President of the El Paso Chamber of Commerce. The collection of negatives remained in the possession of the Chamber of Commerce until about the mid 1960’s when two sets of prints, the actual prints had been reproduced by the Chamber of Commerce, had been donated to the following institutions. The University of Texas of El Paso had received on set of prints and the El Paso Public Library had received the other set of prints along with the actual negatives.
                    Another thing that I can I am certain of is the copy of the photograph that I have sent you positively came off an Aultman glass negative. The glass negatives in our possession have not been altered with regards to the photo I have emailed or any other Aultman photographs. The collection is in a secured and locked area.
                    If there is anything else that I can help you with or if you have any further inquiries, feel free to contact me at your convenience. Thank you for interest in the Border Heritage Center of the El Paso Public Library,

Best regards,
                    Danny Gonzalez
                    http://www.toadworks.com/Roy_Bean_EPPL.jpg

'nuff said. I was wrong.
                    We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Working...
                    X