Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return mail w sendee crossed out...

Hi gang, can you cross out the addressee and write return to sender on mail and put it in any mailbox?

Normally when I do this I've always just dropped it in my building's mail bin, but is it expected that you can drop such mail at any old streetside mailbox?

I looked at the post office's web site, they don't seem to discuss the protocol.
    Last edited by Droz; 01-12-2009, 11:52 PM.

Re: Return mail w sendee crossed out...

I drop my mail in a public box on the corner, I've put "return to sender"s in there.

I googled it and didn't find any protocols, like you mentioned. But here's an interesting article about it:

Return To Sender

From the article:

"The Postal Service returns only first-class mail to senders, so sending back bulk (third class) mail labeled "return to sender" doesn't work."
    So I'm guessing it would work, if it was a regular letter and not bulk mail.

Comment

I didn't know it could be done only with first class postage, but I can confirm that you can do this; it's what I do too.. The letter does need to have postage on it (obviously), even though it's been postmarked... bests, c
      pay for soup
      build a fort
      set that on fire

jmb

Comment

Thanks...

I got a tax document for someone... the freaking thing has the social security number plainly visible through the glassine window! I would feel awful leaving this in an open mail bin.

Comment

Working...
        X